Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What/who influences your photography the most?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

starstriders
2 Jun 2005 - 4:00 PM

Of all the inputs in your life, who or what influences you the most when you take a picture?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jun 2005 - 4:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

u08mcb
u08mcb  105817 forum posts
2 Jun 2005 - 4:02 PM

Who: me.

What: the weather.

starstriders
2 Jun 2005 - 4:06 PM

I wondered how long I'd wait before I got an answer like that...lol.

u08mcb
2 Jun 2005 - 4:10 PM

You need to make your questions harder to answer in such a manner Smile

starstriders
2 Jun 2005 - 4:16 PM

Fair point.

u08mcb
2 Jun 2005 - 4:20 PM

Smart Alec-ness aside, nobody really influences me. I like other work and other photographers but don't really feel like they have much of an effect on what I take photos of, beyond perhaps reading generally applicable techniques from them in the first instance.

Most of my stuff is just pictures of things I notice on my way.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2005 - 4:55 PM

Hi Lauren. I can't say that when I take a shot that I'm influenced by any one person/thing. I'm very much in the early learning stage of photography, so I would have to say that the people whose work I study, and writings I read are the biggest influence. Moose Peterson, Jim McGee, Gary Stanley, Mitch Moraski and Lennie Lee Rue III at Vividlight. My biggest influence right now is John Shaw, author of "John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide." Also, lots of times as I prepare to take a pic, I'll think of a bit of advice I've recieved on here and give it a shot. I'm also influenced by a lot of what I see in the gallery. Nothing wrong with a bit of friendly copetition. Will I be in your book?

Edit: One thing that I have learned from all the pros is to respect the welfare of wildlife subjects and the environment, and to learn as much as I can about both.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2005 - 8:54 PM

Quote:
Who: me.

What: the weather.

When I read the thread title, This was my first reaction to. What does that say about us?!?!

Anyway, my biggest infulance has to be Joe Cornish - and there are many landscapers on here who will say the same.

Mattw

moomoocowsly
2 Jun 2005 - 8:58 PM

www.timecatcher.com

Look through the site for a while, it's impossible not to get inspired.

User_Removed
2 Jun 2005 - 9:44 PM

My Dad.................(Thanks Dad)

RedEric
RedEric  9
2 Jun 2005 - 9:44 PM

... "the great outdoors" if the photos on EPZ are anything to go by. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I might add... I've see stunning landscapes every time I visit the site; but in an (very) slow afternoon at work I counted the photos on the first 5 pages of the Editors Choice gallery. 78% were outdoor nature shots (ie. landscapes, birds, animals, insects etc)... so has EPZ become a nature photography site rather than a photography site. Just to pre-empt any angry responses, this is just an observation and, I guess, a question - "do people think the site would be better with more diversity ?"

Phoenix
Phoenix  131876 forum posts
2 Jun 2005 - 10:47 PM

David Muench
Jack Dykinga
Fred Hirschmann
Galen Rowell

UserRemoved
2 Jun 2005 - 10:50 PM

Who: no one (not even me!). Occasionaly, someone's technique or forum comment (recent thread inspired me to go out and get some more orchid shots)

What: whatever's around/most suitable to be taken. Good and interesting contrasts of light: landscape. Bright and plenty of plants/flowers/insects: macros

raziel_uk
raziel_uk  104929 forum posts
3 Jun 2005 - 12:47 AM

I photograph what I like when I am out with my camera - unless Jackie wants me to take a specific shot.

However, when it comes to techniques, etc., I try to remember what advice has been given to me on epz, from books, etc. (I've stopped buying magazines I find a) they seem to repeat the same information time and again; and b) because of "a" I'm not reading them).

Ashley

keith selmes
3 Jun 2005 - 1:00 AM

I am part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world, whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.

(Is that a smart alec response ? Its from Ulysses by Tennyson, it says what I think)

At the point of taking, the weather is indeed important, even indoors I use mainly sunlight, so naturally I'm influenced by what is on offer.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.