Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What would be your top tip?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

janehewitt
janehewitt  11215 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2004 - 1:25 PM

I've just been reading a magazine where a professional was giving his top 10 photography tips. Since I have actually learnt a great deal already from this site I wondered if people would be willing to share their 'top tip' as something you do automatically might help newcomers or people of differing levels of photographic knowledge. I for one would be happy to read them. My tip would be when I'm not sure of the exposure I use the 'auto bracket' setting and take 3 photos with different exposures. Basic I know but I didn't learn that until a couple of months ago! Jane

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Aug 2004 - 1:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sabretalon
sabretalon  101918 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Aug 2004 - 1:29 PM

Whenever possible use a tripod. It slows you down and makes you think about what you are doing and is also useful for resting the camera on when taking images. LOL

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2004 - 1:36 PM

Switch off auto-exposure if you can. Not necessarily completely but at least put the camera on aperture priority.

That will also slow you down but you will learn much more about, e.g. depth of field and the effect of different shutter speeds.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2004 - 1:42 PM

Take off the lens cap!

My tip would be not to take the shot you first think of, but to carefully study the subject and see if a different angle or crop would be better.

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2004 - 1:49 PM

Try to take the picture as it is - special effects and tricks are cute, but the gloss soon wears off.

Ceri

mark a.
mark a.  10920 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Aug 2004 - 2:00 PM

PP did a Top Tips edition a few months ago, and I 100% agree with their No 1 tip:

Always have a camera with you.

I don't, as my bag weighs enough as it is, but the number of super shots I've missed as I don't have anything with me... Grrr!

nigelf22
nigelf22  10583 forum posts
25 Aug 2004 - 2:03 PM

For those non-digital types I would suggest making sure you had a film in the camera would be a smart move..presumably you can't shoot without a memory card in the appropriate slot on a digital..

laura16
laura16  10605 forum posts
25 Aug 2004 - 2:04 PM

Mine would be one that I don't always follow myself - if you see something you fancy photographing, don't be shy and hang about hoping that all the other people will go away, and then end up missing out because you didn't want to look daft/geeky/sad then wish you'd taken it once you get back home and realise nobody would have known you anyway so what does it matter?! lol

collywobles
25 Aug 2004 - 2:23 PM

Agree with Mark A above, always carry a camera, even if its only a cheap one. I always have one in the car.

EnglishRose
25 Aug 2004 - 2:33 PM

I am with Mark A too - and wish I would take this piece of advice on board. Just need to get a bit of money together to buy a small camera so that it makes it slightly easier.

L

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2004 - 2:35 PM

I bought a 2nd hand Ixus V to keep with me all the time. It doesn't often get used but it has got me a number of shots I wouldn't otherwise have had.

mark a.
mark a.  10920 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Aug 2004 - 2:42 PM

It's definitely something I've been thinking about for a while. Just never quite gotten round to doing it. My Canon doesn't have a hope of fitting into my work bag, and the Zenit and FED, while a wee bit smaller, are made of solid iron (or so they feel), so the bag gets rather too heavy for walking to work.

I still don't know why I haven't bought a little something yet. I just blew 40 on a film order and another 40 on some reprints - for the same price I could easily get a Olympus Mju 2 or something.

But then I think to myself, how about a Ricoh GR1v or Leica CM...?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2004 - 2:56 PM

The new Sony P150 might fit the bill (shirt-pocket sized and 7.2Mp) as a go anywhere cam.

The best camera is the one you have with you when that never-to-be-repeated opportunity comes up.

pacman
pacman  1029 forum posts Ireland
25 Aug 2004 - 2:57 PM

always do a 360 degree turn to see if there is another shot behind you

c_evans99
c_evans99  117013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2004 - 2:58 PM

My 'notebook' is the Konica C35... positivel dinky, with a great lens, automatic exposure and a rangefinder!

Anyway, top tip, from experience make sure you can run with your tripod and camera bag before going into a field with a mad looking bull in it...

Ceri

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.