Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

what would you do

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Craggwildlife
    Craggwildlife e2 Member 572 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi all

I have a canon ID MK IV which I use with a canon 300mm f2.8 lens plus extenders.

I cant make my mind up would I be better upgrading the camera to a IDX and continue as I am doing or I have the option of purchasing a used canon 500mm f4 lens and I am just undecided as to what to do...Would the IDX give a sharper image even tho cropped . than if i used a 500mm lens

Hoping you can help

David

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2013 - 10:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6521 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 11:14 AM

I have seen lots of images taken with the 300mm lens + extenders and can't imagine getting much sharper images, with the 300mm you will have a much more usable lens for hand holding than with the 500mm which I would imagine you would have to shoot on a tripod for best results.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    mikehit
    mikehit  56312 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 11:32 AM

Difficult choice - what are you shooting? Do you have to fund your decision by selling something ?

I have not used either but from many hours of tantric browsing (ogling websites but never actually buying anything) I would tend towards the 1DX for superior AF and better low light performance but this is dependent on subject. Although my gut reaction is that if for shooting wildlife reach is always better, the functionality of the 1DX would probably win for me.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Craggwildlife
    Craggwildlife e2 Member 572 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hi Mike

its whether I exchange my ID MKIV for the IDX or keep the IDX MKIV and purchase the 500mm lens

This camera is only used for wildlife ..

David

Craggwildlife
    8 Nov 2013 - 11:52 AM

should read ID MKIV NOT IDX MKIV SORRYSadSadSadSadSad

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72215 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2013 - 12:08 PM

Keep the 1D mk4 and get the 500mm F4 - you'll still use a 1.4tc from what I've seen others doing.
    Both awesome lenses, you'll have a lot of versatility with both Smile

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7842 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2013 - 2:08 PM

If you are using t/cs on the 300 most of the time and could get by without the 300, then would selling that enable you to get the mark 2 version of the 500 mm

I say this because the weight is similar to the older 300mm, and more importantly,it will perform with the new mark 3 t/cs very well indeed, and if at some stage in the future you do go full frame, there will only be an 80 mm focal length difference from your current shooting position

I have been amazed at the IQ from my 600 with the new mark 3 t/cs, and it would give you a quality 1000mm rig

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.