Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

What would you like to know?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

OmegaMike
OmegaMike  6 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2008 - 4:26 PM

Hi, I'm Mike and I'm the one currently writing the Paint Shop Pro X2 and GIMP tutorials for the site.

It's all well and good writing how to do a load of things, but as an individual with little (read that as 'no') photography experience I have only vague ideas of what problems may need rectifying in your images.

So I'm opening my arms and embracing your comments; what would YOU like to see on the site in terms of tutorials? What problems do you get no matter what you do that might be fixable with software? Any tools you don't quite understand? I know that the PSPX2 instructions are vague and useless, so I can explain that sort of thing.

For shorter queries I can answer on here, but longer processes I'll write a tutorial and once its been checked over by Peter and the guys it'll turn up in the Techniques section. Of course any clarification about the content of those tutorials is available from moi too.

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Aug 2008 - 4:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 4:47 PM

So here's an opportunity to have tutorials written to help you with your image editing problems...and no one wants them?

You could even send us your photos (high res) and ask for specific effects to be done. I did this once for Margaret here on a bird photo

Artois
Artois  8405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 4:51 PM

I don't use either of those packages.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 4:52 PM

Quote: I'm the one currently writing the Paint Shop Pro X2 and GIMP tutorials for the site.

It's all well and good writing how to do a load of things, but as an individual with little (read that as 'no') photography experience I have only vague ideas of what problems may need rectifying in your images

Was it wrong of me to do a double-take on this? Wink

SteveCharles
4 Aug 2008 - 4:57 PM

Are layer masks in Gimp called Gimp Masks?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 5:04 PM

Quote: I don't use either of those packages.

Often the features/tools are similar so you could create the result using a different package.

Quote: Was it wrong of me to do a double-take on this?

I'd say yes. You can be a competent image-editor but not an expert with a camera.

Quote: Blimey Pete, give people a chance to answer

Possibly - I was just thinking if this had been a post about site speed or moderators are Nazis, it would be on page 10 by now.

Quote: Resize their images for uploading onto ePz and how to apply a watermark / Copyright logo

Two good ones for Mike...thanks Smile

Last Modified By Pete at 4 Aug 2008 - 5:06 PM
strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 5:14 PM

Give us a chance Pete. I have been meaning to dowload the latest version of the GIMP and see how it goes. I guess the areas I need to learn about are masks and how Curves works.

One area that would help is does the GIMP play photoshop actions or can you indead create alternatives in the GIMP. Its an area where Elements is lacking and would intrigue me in a new editor. I would be interested to see how those Velvia emulation techniques work. also I would be interested in playing with ways to emulate older cameras, for example a nice sharp image in the centre that gets softer and darker as you reach the edges.

BarbaraR
BarbaraR  8 England1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 5:51 PM

Hello, I'm quite a novice with this sort of thing.
I hope this isn't a daft question ..
Is it possible to sharpen just selected areas of a photo
using Gimp ?
Thanks.

Barbara.

Pete
4 Aug 2008 - 7:25 PM

Quote: I hope this isn't a daft question ..Is it possible to sharpen just selected areas of a photo
using Gimp ?

No it's not a daft question if you don't know the answer. We can create a piece showing selective sharpening.

Quote: I would be interested to see how those Velvia emulation techniques work. also I would be interested in playing with ways to emulate older cameras, for example a nice sharp image in the centre that gets softer and darker as you reach the edges.

Good idea

Any more?

Last Modified By Pete at 4 Aug 2008 - 7:26 PM
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
4 Aug 2008 - 8:25 PM

All those different resizing algorithms!
Which is best and for what purpose.
I always use 'smart resize' ln PSP, but is it the ideal?

Last Modified By macroman at 4 Aug 2008 - 8:26 PM
OmegaMike
OmegaMike  6 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2008 - 8:52 PM

I did teach elderly people and children with learning disabilities to use SLR cameras for a while, but that was several years ago. As a 'proper' photographer I'm without experience, but if I'm showing old ladies how to change the shutter speed I'm quite capable Wink However when it comes to software (mainly the PSP and GIMP) I'm reasonably on the ball; however I'm pretty certain Peter is the place to turn for Photoshop given his history. But as he said, most of this can be translated across so if you fancy something, have a bash and if the software has the tools it will work out. I think GIMP is the piece of software that is most likely to emulate most of Photoshop; PSPX2 is pretty much equivalent to Elements.

I've made a note of the ideas that have cropped up thus far and I'll get on some of them tomorrow. Thanks very much for the feedback and hopefully I'll be able to help you out.

BarbaraR
BarbaraR  8 England1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 9:15 PM

Quote: Quote:I No it's not a daft question if you don't know the answer. We can create a piece showing selective sharpening.
Quote:I Any more?

Oh great thankyou. I think that will be very useful.
I'm keen to understand the use of Layers on Gimp too.
Cheers,
Barbara . Smile

conrad
conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 9:46 PM

If the question had been for CS2, I'd had a list of question, and lots of pictures to choose from that needed some clever manipulation! I'm not the kind of person who easily adapts a tutorial for Paintshop to a Photoshop situation...

LisaRose
LisaRose  8172 forum posts United States4 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 10:02 PM

Right now I am struggling to learn Painter X I don't know how close that is to Paint shop Pro.
What my goal is, is to learn how to incorporate painterly effects into my images.
I have done that somewhat in CS3, but Painter X has a lot more brushes so I thought I could get more creative, and also have better results.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2008 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for taking the ideas I look forward to the results.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.