Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

What would you like to know?

4 Aug 2008 4:26PM
Hi, I'm Mike and I'm the one currently writing the Paint Shop Pro X2 and GIMP tutorials for the site.

It's all well and good writing how to do a load of things, but as an individual with little (read that as 'no') photography experience I have only vague ideas of what problems may need rectifying in your images.

So I'm opening my arms and embracing your comments; what would YOU like to see on the site in terms of tutorials? What problems do you get no matter what you do that might be fixable with software? Any tools you don't quite understand? I know that the PSPX2 instructions are vague and useless, so I can explain that sort of thing.

For shorter queries I can answer on here, but longer processes I'll write a tutorial and once its been checked over by Peter and the guys it'll turn up in the Techniques section. Of course any clarification about the content of those tutorials is available from moi too.

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
4 Aug 2008 4:47PM
So here's an opportunity to have tutorials written to help you with your image editing problems...and no one wants them?

You could even send us your photos (high res) and ask for specific effects to be done. I did this once for Margaret here on a bird photo
Artois e2
8 405 1 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2008 4:51PM
I don't use either of those packages.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
4 Aug 2008 4:52PM

Quote: I'm the one currently writing the Paint Shop Pro X2 and GIMP tutorials for the site.

It's all well and good writing how to do a load of things, but as an individual with little (read that as 'no') photography experience I have only vague ideas of what problems may need rectifying in your images

Was it wrong of me to do a double-take on this? Wink
SteveCharles
12 2.3k 18 England
4 Aug 2008 4:57PM
Are layer masks in Gimp called Gimp Masks?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
4 Aug 2008 5:04PM

Quote:I don't use either of those packages.

Often the features/tools are similar so you could create the result using a different package.

Quote:Was it wrong of me to do a double-take on this?

I'd say yes. You can be a competent image-editor but not an expert with a camera.

Quote:Blimey Pete, give people a chance to answer

Possibly - I was just thinking if this had been a post about site speed or moderators are Nazis, it would be on page 10 by now.

Quote:Resize their images for uploading onto ePz and how to apply a watermark / Copyright logo

Two good ones for Mike...thanks Smile
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2008 5:14PM
Give us a chance Pete. I have been meaning to dowload the latest version of the GIMP and see how it goes. I guess the areas I need to learn about are masks and how Curves works.

One area that would help is does the GIMP play photoshop actions or can you indead create alternatives in the GIMP. Its an area where Elements is lacking and would intrigue me in a new editor. I would be interested to see how those Velvia emulation techniques work. also I would be interested in playing with ways to emulate older cameras, for example a nice sharp image in the centre that gets softer and darker as you reach the edges.
BarbaraR e2
8 15 1 England
4 Aug 2008 5:51PM
Hello, I'm quite a novice with this sort of thing.
I hope this isn't a daft question ..
Is it possible to sharpen just selected areas of a photo
using Gimp ?
Thanks.

Barbara.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
4 Aug 2008 7:25PM

Quote:I hope this isn't a daft question ..Is it possible to sharpen just selected areas of a photo
using Gimp ?

No it's not a daft question if you don't know the answer. We can create a piece showing selective sharpening.

Quote:I would be interested to see how those Velvia emulation techniques work. also I would be interested in playing with ways to emulate older cameras, for example a nice sharp image in the centre that gets softer and darker as you reach the edges.

Good idea

Any more?
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
4 Aug 2008 8:25PM
All those different resizing algorithms!
Which is best and for what purpose.
I always use 'smart resize' ln PSP, but is it the ideal?
4 Aug 2008 8:52PM
I did teach elderly people and children with learning disabilities to use SLR cameras for a while, but that was several years ago. As a 'proper' photographer I'm without experience, but if I'm showing old ladies how to change the shutter speed I'm quite capable Wink However when it comes to software (mainly the PSP and GIMP) I'm reasonably on the ball; however I'm pretty certain Peter is the place to turn for Photoshop given his history. But as he said, most of this can be translated across so if you fancy something, have a bash and if the software has the tools it will work out. I think GIMP is the piece of software that is most likely to emulate most of Photoshop; PSPX2 is pretty much equivalent to Elements.

I've made a note of the ideas that have cropped up thus far and I'll get on some of them tomorrow. Thanks very much for the feedback and hopefully I'll be able to help you out.
BarbaraR e2
8 15 1 England
4 Aug 2008 9:15PM

Quote:Quote:I No it's not a daft question if you don't know the answer. We can create a piece showing selective sharpening.
Quote:I Any more?

Oh great thankyou. I think that will be very useful.
I'm keen to understand the use of Layers on Gimp too.
Cheers,
Barbara . Smile
conrad e2
10 10.9k 116
4 Aug 2008 9:46PM
If the question had been for CS2, I'd had a list of question, and lots of pictures to choose from that needed some clever manipulation! I'm not the kind of person who easily adapts a tutorial for Paintshop to a Photoshop situation...
LisaRose e2
8 172 4 United States
4 Aug 2008 10:02PM
Right now I am struggling to learn Painter X I don't know how close that is to Paint shop Pro.
What my goal is, is to learn how to incorporate painterly effects into my images.
I have done that somewhat in CS3, but Painter X has a lot more brushes so I thought I could get more creative, and also have better results.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2008 10:05PM
Thanks for taking the ideas I look forward to the results.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.