Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Whats a fair price

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

markst33
markst33  527 forum posts Ireland
22 Oct 2013 - 3:50 PM

I have been asked to go to someones house at the weekend and doing a photo session of their 3 month old baby and then provide them with a number of A4 prints. However I have no idea what is a fair price for this kind of work ?

If we were to take it that I would drive a couple of miles and spend about 2 hours in their house doing the photos and then another couple of hours getting them ready and then arranging the printing, what do you reckon is fair ?

Any ideas ?

Mark S.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2013 - 3:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72144 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
22 Oct 2013 - 4:02 PM

Have a look at competition in your area(websites), and see what they charge for a similar shoot, and also the mark-up on prints.
Then calculate a price that is similar.

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Oct 2013 - 4:29 PM

How much do you consider your time to be worth, multiply it up there is your answer!

ikett
ikett  3329 forum posts England
22 Oct 2013 - 4:42 PM

If your not a full time professional, it may be worth asking them what they want to pay!

It could well be they don't want to spend much money, or they would have contacted an experienced professional.

Just a thoughtSmile

thewilliam
22 Oct 2013 - 11:36 PM

In the real world, what does fairness have to do with price?

Won't the price be governed by the maximum that the punter is prepared to pay and the minimum that the snapper is prepared to work for?

Last Modified By thewilliam at 22 Oct 2013 - 11:36 PM
779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2013 - 8:48 AM

So 4 hours to take and process, and print? £30 an hour, £120 - plus a bit for travel if you want but for 2 miles I wouldn't, printing costs, no idea I don't do it. So I'd maybe say £150. Having said that there's someone around here that would charge £20 including the prints. I expect they will never pay £150 and are thinking more along the lines of £20. You need to explain the time it takes. Most people think you point the camera at the subject, transfer them to the PC and press print.

Quote: Won't the price be governed by the maximum that the punter is prepared to pay and the minimum that the snapper is prepared to work for?

Yes.

FredDee
FredDee  151 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2013 - 9:19 AM

I charge £50 an hour (including short distance travel).
I wouldn't have thought that you would need more than 1 hour to take a few baby shots.
Maybe 1/2 an hour for any post work, and pass on the prints at lab cost.
So the whole job is going to cost them around £100.
If they can't or won't pay that then walk !!

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2013 - 9:23 AM

I am not a professional photographer so if someone asked me to do this for them, I would not be looking to make a pro-level of profit. My first concern would be to cover my costs: £5 for the petrol, £1.50 per A4 print to have them printed at a lab. Plus £10-£20 pocket money and knowing I had made them happy with the product.

If I was a pro who knew what profit level they wanted/needed, then I would charge my normal rates.
If I was a budding professional then maybe I would add another tenner and start to build my porfolio/client base.

But as ikett said, if they were willing to pay pro prices they would surely go to a pro.

779HOB
23 Oct 2013 - 9:32 AM

Also don't forget if you charge pro prices you need to produce a pro level product. Once someone starts paying proper money for photos they become pretty critical of the end product!

Evertonian
23 Oct 2013 - 10:36 AM

Domestic photography has always commanded a lower price than industrial or commercial work because:

1. The domestic customer expects it to be lower and usually has only a small amount of disposable income.
2. Domestic customers expect discounts for cash-in-hand work, (No Tax no V.A.T.) which I guess yours will be.
3. Commercial and industrial photography usually involves more work and more travel around the country and more time on the premises
4. You need Insurance and Health & Safety plans before you enter a factory. (Whether or not you are asked for them is irrelevant. If something does go wrong you will be then asked – be sure)
5. The companies are able to set the costs against their taxable income.
6. Companies can reclaim VAT.

markst33
markst33  527 forum posts Ireland
23 Oct 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks to all for your input.

@ mikehit do you seriously think that even an amateur photographer would drive for 30 mins each way and spend at least an hour doing shots and then whatever to get them print ready and printed all for £26 Smile

Plus theres no way I would waste my time having gone to the trouble of trying to get some nice shots of someones child only to go and get them printed on some sub standard paper at £1.50 a shot. The end product has to be the best you can provide at the price you are charging so they would (and will) be printed on a fine art paper.After all if you want to get repeat custom its going to come on the basis of the printed images you provide and are seen by everybody.

@FredDee - your pricing sounds fair to all (both customer and photographer) I did say that I would stay as long as it took to get decent shots without charging by the hour as there will be changes of clothes (and nappies) taking place. Baby could be sleepy or hungry when I get there so I don't think its right to have people worrying about cost per hour so I just quoted a price for the session and said if it takes 1 hour or 3 the session will be the same price.

Mark.

779HOB
23 Oct 2013 - 11:05 AM

Quote: Health & Safety plans

The company are responsible for the risk assessments and will have standard ones in place for visiting contractors.

Agree with the rest but I still value my time at about £30 an hour, don't care if your a business or someone wanting baby shots. I would still quote about £120/150 for the above job. I accept I most likely wouldn't get it but then do I want it for £50? I might if I had nothing else on and it was just down the road and I thought I could bang it out in a couple of hours I guess.

Like now, nothing better to do than reply to a forum post. Would rather be putting £50 in my pocket I guess.

Last Modified By 779HOB at 23 Oct 2013 - 11:09 AM
Evertonian
23 Oct 2013 - 2:17 PM

Quote: Health & Safety plans

The company are responsible for the risk assessments and will have standard ones in place for visiting contractors.

Not true, the contractor in any situation has the responsibility for providing his own Risk assessment and Method Statement. The company only will provide the same FOR THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES. What you are suggesting are known as 'Generic Method statements' and 'generic Risk assessments' and do have a place in the system but I would have to write too much to explain the times that they might be permitted in use.

The requirement is actually for Specific assessments.

That is the Law under the Health & Safety at Work act of 1974 and subsequent amendments.

mikehit
mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2013 - 8:56 PM

Quote: Thanks to all for your input.

@ mikehit do you seriously think that even an amateur photographer would drive for 30 mins each way and spend at least an hour doing shots and then whatever to get them print ready and printed all for £26 Smile

Yes.
As I say, it all depends on your motivation. If it was a one-off I would probably be doing it for the fun of it as much as anything so yes, £20 would seem reasonable for passing the time doing something I enjoy. I would charge more if I thought I would get away with it, but that is my choice. 3 hours in a cold wet nature reserve photo'ing birds for nothing or £20 photoing someone's baby and dong something different - seems a reasonable payoff for me if I had nothing else planned. If I found myself doing three weekends in 4 then likely my thinking would change.
Your profile says you are 'enthusiast' - if you are able to deliver a pro product and want to be paid well for your time then by all means charge the £100+ others are suggesting.

Quote:
Plus theres no way I would waste my time having gone to the trouble of trying to get some nice shots of someones child only to go and get them printed on some sub standard paper at £1.50 a shot.

I have no idea which labs you have used, but the one I use prints on professional grade paper or archive paper. If you want to print on higher cost paper increase costs accordingly, what's the big deal?

Quote: After all if you want to get repeat custom its going to come on the basis of the printed images you provide and are seen by everybody.

Which suggest you are (semi?) pro - which was not clear from your OP or your profile.

779HOB
24 Oct 2013 - 6:36 AM

Quote: Not true

Oh, ok.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.