Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Whats best? 28mm or 18-55.....

johnnyboy114 6 231 106 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2008 9:13AM
Hi again

I have the chance to buy a 28mm 2.8 wide angle lens, which is supposed to be really rather good for landscapes. Problem is, I don't really get what advantage over my 18-55mm kit lens this would have at its 18mm point. Ok, the f stops would be bigger on the prime lens, but when doing landscapes, I guess this becomes less of an issue as you want a small f stop for large depth of field....

What advantage would I have with a prime 28mm lens over the 18-55mm and is it worth me buying it? I have no images to make a comparison unfortunately......

Any info would be good info...

Cheers guys

John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad 10 10.9k 116
21 Nov 2008 9:41AM
You're asking some really good and valid questions about this lens, especially since you want to use it as a landscape lens. Your idea that wider apertures won't help you shoot landscapes is correct. And I would like to add to that the fact that 28mm isn't very wide, especially on a camera with a cropped sensor, which, as I understand it, yours is. Your 18-55mm lens is much wider than this 28mm, so it will give you much wider and deeper views than the 28mm.

If I were you, I'd buy the 28mm if I had other purposes in mind, like taking photographs inside or in low light conditions with a wide aperture.

The comment that the 28mm "is supposed to be really rather good" probably applies more to the image quality than its other characteristics, since primes often have better quality than zooms - and especially kit zoom lenses.
GreyMoonRising 6 1.5k 1
21 Nov 2008 10:06AM
Hi johnnyboy, I use 28mm when I can but your other alternative would be of more use, also are you using film or digital? as the focal length changes as you know. The 28mm would become more like 35mm? on digital approx.
21 Nov 2008 10:21AM

Quote:You're asking some really good and valid questions about this lens, especially since you want to use it as a landscape lens. Your idea that wider apertures won't help you shoot landscapes is correct. And I would like to add to that the fact that 28mm isn't very wide, especially on a camera with a cropped sensor, which, as I understand it, yours is. Your 18-55mm lens is much wider than this 28mm, so it will give you much wider and deeper views than the 28mm.

If I were you, I'd buy the 28mm if I had other purposes in mind, like taking photographs inside or in low light conditions with a wide aperture.

The comment that the 28mm "is supposed to be really rather good" probably applies more to the image quality than its other characteristics, since primes often have better quality than zooms - and especially kit zoom lenses.

Thanks for your helpful insight Conrad. I had a feeling this would be the case to be honest. I think I will stick to the 18-55 for the time being and then save up and get a Sigma 10-20 for landscapes as that would seem more like the thing for digital photos. And yes, when I said the lens was supposed to be very good, I was referring to the image quality. Sorry I didn't make that too clear.

Right, thats given me food for thought! Glad I asked now as I nearly handed over the money! lol!!

Cheers

John
21 Nov 2008 10:23AM

Quote:Hi johnnyboy, I use 28mm when I can but your other alternative would be of more use, also are you using film or digital? as the focal length changes as you know. The 28mm would become more like 35mm? on digital approx.

Hiya,

Yeah, I am using digital and was aware that the focal length would actually be slightly longer, hence my original question became more pertinent I guess. So with your info and Conrads, I have decided against the 28mm and wait till I can afford the Sigma 10-20mm that everyone raves about as that should be for digital and be worth the wait!

Thanks again!

John
GreyMoonRising 6 1.5k 1
21 Nov 2008 12:01PM
money saved simply by asking questions...good stuff!

Peter
21 Nov 2008 12:22PM

Quote:Money saved simply by asking questions...good stuff!

Peter

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.