Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

whats happened to the camera trade?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
7 May 2012 - 5:02 PM

Once upon a time a high end camera maker would announce a new model and its final incarnation would be released for testing. It would then appear in the retail trade at an advertised price and we could go along and handle it and part with our hard earned as and when. Stories of sticky tape light seals , jumping mode dials and over heating batteries a rarity.

Here in France we are lucky to get a new Nikon at anywhere near the original quote...Phox, one of our retailer buying chains issues a full colour catalogue with the prices quoted as "about X euros"...internet retailers are advertising D800`s with any old delivery date and go in a shop and ask for a D700 and its the "GALLIC SHRUG."

The UK is little better if the prices and availability comments on EPZ are anything to go by. Having spent half a lifetime around retail, marketing and promotion work I am aware of how the system works...I WONDER IF THE BIG CAMERA MAKERS ARE AWARE OF HOW IT DOESNT WORK....cos at the moment it doesnt for me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 May 2012 - 5:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 5:07 PM

Quote: internet retailers are advertising D800`s with any old delivery date

I think you may have put your finger on it. The internet has intervened.

Rather than handling a camera for a few minutes in a shop, you can now order it on the internet, handle it for 14-30 days and send it back if you don't like it.

User_Removed
7 May 2012 - 5:08 PM

I will take your word for it...not sure I want to try tho!!!!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 5:15 PM

I have done just what I said with a bridge camera - actually taking it on holiday with me. It was disappointing, so back it went to the retailer for full refund upon my return. They even sent me a postage label so that I didn't have to pay that!

User_Removed
7 May 2012 - 5:32 PM

Theres my problem...I would not want a camera that had been out and used for my money....second hand is second hand to me!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110188 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 5:55 PM

Quote: Theres my problem...I would not want a camera that had been out and used for my money....second hand is second hand to me!

but its a great way of getting very good quality camera kit for used prices, particularly when another "New" model comes out and people trade in their "last year's models" with hardly any use on them. So long as it comes with a good warranty I like "second hand" Smile

User_Removed
7 May 2012 - 6:15 PM

True Brian...Ive bought s/hand all my photographic life...in fact my Coolpix 950 was my first new camera but what concerns me is wether these week old returns are put out at a used price?

kodachrome
7 May 2012 - 6:25 PM

They are probably put out as a shop demonstrator or shop soiled which kinda disguises the fact they were once pre owned even though it was just for a week. I have seen this done time and time again.
Kodachrome

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82288 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 6:40 PM

I remember buying my 5D many moons ago from a retailer on the high street. The display model had been on the shelf for I don't know how long with no body cap or lens attached. They had the cheek to look affronted when I stopped them boxing up this camera to give me, and even more affronted when I asked for a sealed box. Ultimately, I'd have walked away if they didn't provide me with what I asked for. I wonder how many net purchases as 'new' are returned products resealed (for that matter how many high street purchases suffer the same problem). Security seals applied by the manufacturers (similar to those used on PC's) might help.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110188 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 6:41 PM

Quote: True Brian...Ive bought s/hand all my photographic life...in fact my Coolpix 950 was my first new camera but what concerns me is wether these week old returns are put out at a used price?

I see, yep - poor practice indeed

User_Removed
7 May 2012 - 7:05 PM

I think at over 2k for a body only up to 5k plus I would expect a sealed box !!!

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92973 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 May 2012 - 8:11 PM

In the case of sherlob it would appear they were trying it on.
Any such cameras on display are or were offered as ex-display with a discount.

It is annoying when a camera is announced then discover the availability is to be confirmed.

It does seem the norm for a new camera model to be rushed through cutting out a full quality control.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
7 May 2012 - 8:13 PM

...been there, done that CB

On the plus side...I fell for the Nikon 28-300 VR the day it was released but couldn't bring myself to pay 900
...a month later Amazon had a used one for 600....bought by someone and returned...I snapped it up.
...brilliant lens....now glued to the camera...now I need to sell my 300mm f4 prime...never use it.

"edit" why has this advert for Amazon automatically gone in my post ?

Last Modified By MikeRC at 7 May 2012 - 8:17 PM
User_Removed
7 May 2012 - 9:39 PM

thought I would just type Amazon and see if it appears as a link?

guess what..if you type Amazon it appears as a link ...that will be 3 Amazon links then!

But I dont want to link to Amazon unless I CHOOSE TOO!

edit...thats four!...Amazon links that is...sorry 5...no Im wrong they have only paid for 4

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 May 2012 - 9:43 PM
Jestertheclown
7 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Quote: edit...thats four!...Amazon links that is...sorry 5...no Im wrong they have only paid for 4

No, it's five. You forgot the space before the word Amazon in the last bit.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.