Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Whats the best , Virgin or Sky

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

marky
marky  1054 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2012 - 6:57 PM

I'm out of contract with Sky right now and I can't find anyone to give me advice on what's the best Virgin or Sky. I have Virgin in the street outside my house and I know that my broadband would be better with them but what about the box. I am pleased with the Sky box as its easy to use, but is the Virgin one better?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Mar 2012 - 6:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bridgelayer
21 Mar 2012 - 7:07 PM

I got the new Tivo box with my new contract. I was fed up with Sky dropping the signal and the box switching off whilst recording. You can record 3 progs at once with the Tivo. IMHO, Virgin is far better.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Mar 2012 - 7:21 PM

How do you find the TIVO box? I've been with Virgin since they took over the NTL business and, generally, am very happy with them. I've been thinking of getting the TIVO to replace my V+ but have seem some horror stories about TIVO unreliability

(The V+ box is fairly basic but rock solid down here in BH23 land Smile )

KONIN
KONIN e2 Member 3252 forum postsKONIN vcard England
21 Mar 2012 - 8:35 PM

My brother went back to virgin from sky at xmas,he has the tivo box but does not like it.yes it records 3at once but its no where near as user friendly as the sky + box you have to search around to find things it not straight forward,stu

KeithOT
KeithOT  8 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2012 - 10:01 AM

I don't have a choice as we don't have cable but I'm very hacked of with Sky paying 70/month & having to endure 20mins of advertising in every 1 hour programme. Due to location terrestrial signals are between marginal & hopeless (mainly hopeless) I am investigating Freesat or getting a multi satellite receiver & larger dish with either motorising or multi LNB's. These receivers are pretty good value & some can record while watching another channel. Some of the foreign channel are in english & also you can access downlinks use by Sky etc for sports, F1 & news. There is said to be around 1000 channel available over the range of satellites we can access from GB.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3789 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 10:43 AM

FREESAT........or........FREEVIEW .....plus.....the iPlayer, and all the other Chanel players.

Hobbo

collywobles
22 Mar 2012 - 10:46 AM

I am a Virgin (customer that is.....) Phone/Broadband/TV and what they provide is fine. I get the Broadband speed I pay for, phone is fine and the TV is very good and does include some sky channels. If you take the Tivo Box that records 4 programs at once and you can watch another with 250 hours of recording. I pay about 50pm for it all including a few calls (not a big land line user as all my UK mobile calls are free within my mobile package).

Recommended

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 11:43 AM

We had to move from Virgin to Sky when we moved house last year.

We only had a '1Mb/s' connection via the virgin fibre optic cable, but the internet really flew on that (did not go faster because the bottleneck was our wireless rooter, not the broadband connection). It provided a faster connection than our current '10M/s' (+faster wireless router) which we have now.

The Virgin TV also have a nicer interface then Sky, but do be carefull of small print if you join Virgin.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 11:59 AM

The sky's the limit - but you know what they say about virgins! WinkWinkWink

MeanGreeny
22 Mar 2012 - 12:02 PM

Quote: ..........but you know what they say about virgins! WinkWinkWink

Yeah, thanks for nothing

Smile

Nickscape
Nickscape  8694 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
22 Mar 2012 - 12:49 PM

We've got the Virgin system and have very little trouble, much better than we had with sky.

If you have a HD TV you will find that the picture is much better with Virgin as the boxes are very good at up-scaling standard definition. I'm not sure of the the technicalities but I think that Virgin also transmit HD at a far better quality than sky so you will notice a difference with that also, something to do with being able to send more data down the Fibre optic cable than you can with a satellite.

jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
22 Mar 2012 - 5:12 PM

Try this -
http://www.choose.net/media/guide/features/sky-or-virgin-media.html

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
22 Mar 2012 - 5:17 PM

Quote: Sky paying 70/month & having to endure 20mins of advertising in every 1 hour programme.

Just record everything and then skip the adverts.

collywobles
23 Mar 2012 - 8:51 AM

Quote: Just record everything and then skip the adverts.

Thats basically what we do.

Jestertheclown
23 Mar 2012 - 9:12 AM

Another vote for Virgin.

I used to use Sky but I found their customer service next to useless and since their TV and internet used to stop working fairly frequently, I was in touch with them quite often.
We then moved to cable, (NTL) and despite some naysayers bemoaning NTL as being equally useless, I've had no real problems with them.
And since Virgin took over, it's been plain sailing.
I get the lot, the biggest package there is minus the Sky sports and movies bit as I have no interest in what they have to offer for about 50.00 pm. All my phone calls, except premium numbers (and most of them can be sidestepped) are FOC.
The Tivo box works well, although the menus could be more intuitive and as Colin says, I record the very few things that I want to see and filter out the ads.

As an aside; I'm considering moving my mobile phone contract to Virgin when it expires later this year. Does anyone have any experience of Virgin mobile?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.