Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Whats the best picture you ever missed ?

hollkj e2
10 187 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2010 10:28PM
Landing at boston airport last week at night, the moon was big and low over some of the terminal buildings. Looked fantastic with all the coloured runway lights etc. Real shame I was strapped in to my seat with no camera to hand.

Definately one of the best photos I've ever missed Sad

Another missed opportunity I had was my first hike up Snowdon. Very early start from a carpark, just 20 minutes in turnaround and there is a colourful heather filled hill, perfectly reflected in a mirror flat lake, bright blue sky with fluffy white clouds. We must of stood and just enjoyed for half an hour or so. Oh I wish I had my camera with me.

Just wondering if anyone else has such regrets.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2010 10:36PM
Mexico last May. One of the best sunrises I've seen. Had the camera - took the shots - then realised I'd left the ISO at 3200 - the best of light was gone. Kicked myself for not realising from the short shutter speeds. It'll be the last time I make that mistake.
limafish 7 7 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2010 10:47PM
When a bird of prey landed a few feet away from me on the hedge and my camera was on a black and white setting from taking arty pics of some buildings. I took the shot but all I got was different shades of grey and no definition. Might not have been the best one I have missed but the main one that sticks in memory and "if I could turn back time ...."!!
big fella 11 485 England
8 Feb 2010 11:57PM
Whilst watching my son playing football (I do the match reports etc) I followed a great run from a winger and caught an exquisite cross into the box; I stopped shooting and took the camera away from my eye, just as my lad was twisting in the air to head the ball into the net for arguably the goal of the season!

All I could hear from the sidelines was "Did you get that one?"
hollkj e2
10 187 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2010 10:22PM
always frustrating having thought got the shot to realise settings were wrong. As for big fellas missed shot - this just made me shout "nooooooooooo"
AshTree 5 1.7k 6 England
10 Feb 2010 6:46PM
In Barbados some years ago, we were walking back towards our hire car when a monkey suddenly appeared from nowhere, right in front of us - my camera was round my neck, but in its bag. By the time I'd got it out, switched on etc. the monkey had run across the road and disappeared among the trees. Aaaarrgghh!!
jonah794 5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2010 6:56PM
We were sitting in our car in Marlow as a Kestrel was howevering above.. the camera was in the boot and by the time I had reached for it... Kestrel was offSad (sob, sob, sob) Sad
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
10 Feb 2010 6:59PM
Seeing all the great shots from an epz meet.

I was there but missed them all Sad
AshTree 5 1.7k 6 England
10 Feb 2010 8:41PM
Oh, and then there was the flock of sheep being driven up a road in Coniston village last March. We were just returning from the shop when we saw them. My camera was in the cottage, but my spare one was in the car parked outside. Unlocked the car and grabbed it, but the battery was flat! I missed not only the sheep scrambling around all the parked cars, but also the shepherd rushing through the open door into the flat above our holiday home to drag a wandering sheep back down the stairs, to the cheers and laughter of all watching!
hollkj e2
10 187 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2010 10:44PM
jjgee

I know how you feel. Looking at a number of the photos on the site from locations I've visited I often ask the question how I missed the same shot.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
10 Feb 2010 10:57PM
I often see shots while travelling on motorways that I wish I could capture as I pass by. But there's one time (I've mentioned it before) that was a moment I saw one of the most incredible shots. A meat trader in the Souk in Marrakesh, pushing a cycle through the busy streets. The cycle was stacked with goats heads, all freshly cut. They created a pyramid shape down to the pedal area. It looked, in a morbid way, quite beautiful , especially with the tapestry of colours in the background. It's hard to explain..and THE shot I wish I'd taken.

I tried to take the photo but as I raised the camera he knew what I was going to do and shouted at me. I wrongly tried again and he covered the heads with a cloth.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
10 Feb 2010 11:18PM
Several years ago I was driving in front of city hall, and lo and behold, there was a man, dressed in a business suit, walking along the sidewalk with a bright yellow chain saw in his hand. I had no camera, of course.
Franticsmurf 12 829 Wales
11 Feb 2010 8:01AM
Getting off the plane in Doha, a huge, deep red morning sun was just resting on the horizon across the desert, silhouetting buildings. My camera was in my pocket but my head was full of warnings about not taking photos at foreign airports. I was about to fly to Nepal to trek to Everest Base Camp so I didn't want to miss that by examining the inside of a Qatar jail. Talking later with the trek doctor, I mentioned the sunrise. He showed me the photo he'd taken of it, with me just in front of him.

Dave
User_Removed 5 718 9 England
11 Feb 2010 8:29AM
I will never forgive my father for this.

A long time ago in a county far far away (Somerset) we had a family holiday around the Quantock Hills. I was only 15, and not long acquired a Practika MTL-5B after having experience with the camera with school projects, so i knew how it worked, ho to load film blahdy blah.

My father, Mr Big head, Mr Knowitall, insisted that he load the films, cos i didnt know what i was doing???!!! Well i let him load the camera when the film ran out. Took some amazing images whilst around that area, often id toddle off on my own to stroll through fields and streams with my camera capturing everything that moved, and most things that didnt move. Also took millions of images of Dunster, i fell in love with that lil town, so beautiful, and couldnt wait to see the images.

So, we got home, i took the films to good old Boots, and patiently waited.

Time comes to collect the images, headed to boots, handed my slip to the person behind the counter.

Sorry, she says, there are no photos, the film had no exposures! fecking hell!!! Thanks dad, you useless fat *******! (Yes, im still miffed with him).
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2010 8:41AM
A view of Windsor Castle on fire from the Farnham road ... no camera
A Hindu lady in Wembley market with a bag of potatoes balanced on her head .... no camera.

grrrrrrrr

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.