Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Whats wrong with people today . . . . . .

Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2008 8:47AM
Reading some of the threads here recently about society, and the bad things people do to each other, I thought it could not get much worse - how wrong! Saturday in Derby saw a young 17 year old student jump to his death from the Westfield shopping centre car park. Bad enough that a young guy with his life ahead of him thought that it was the only way out. No - what made this even worse was the fact that a crowd of on-lookers where goading him to jump, and some apparently where even filing the events on their mobile phones. I just hope that these sick individuals never find either themselves, or one of their loved ones in that position.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2008 8:52AM
That really is sick but shows how so many people treat life as some sort of reality TV show, through which they can watch people in all sorts of traumatic situations without getting involved.
collywobles e2
10 3.4k 9 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2008 8:58AM
Speachless!
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
2 Oct 2008 9:11AM
I want to know why the Police didn't do more to move these idiots on, or arrest them, or anything to get them away from the area. They would in other instances, so why not here when a young man's life is at stake?
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
2 Oct 2008 9:15AM
It's hard to believe that people act this way. I live on the flight path of Cardiff airport, there have been a few incidents recently where somebody is aiming and firing a laser light at the cockpit of planes as they come into land! The result is to tempory blind the pilot! The purpose of this must be to cause a crash!

Ken

ps, I understand that this problem is also happening elsewhere!
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
2 Oct 2008 9:23AM
They should never have made those laser pens commercially available as "gadgets". I mean, what use has the regular person got for having one? Nope, can't think of one reason.

Obviously not anywhere near as serious as shining it at landing planes but I've seen them used at a few festivals now, Rock festivals, whereby if there's a band on someone doesn't like you can usually see a red or green dot floating about between the band members. Annoys the hell out of me, and as you say can cause vision problems, even if only temporary.
BubbaG2000 e2
7 767 1
2 Oct 2008 10:00AM
I saw a similar thing in Stockton on Tees. A guy was perched up on a multi story carpark threatening to jump. He too got the same group trying to encourage him. He was eventually talked down by the cops though.

People view public suicide attempts as "attention seeking", hence very few have time for it. But you have to ask yourself what someone must be going through to take such a step.
kaybee 10 4.0k 24 Scotland
2 Oct 2008 10:15AM
The 'encouragement' fom the crowd is not a new thing I am afraid.
Over 30 years ago when I first started work if somebody theatened to jump off the North Bridge in Edinburgh (a regular occurrance) the first thing that would happen is that a photographer and journalist from the Scotsman paper would appear and offer their encouragement (their offices overlooked the bridge)
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2008 11:25AM
A have-a-go hero was beaten to death in my old hometown of Norwich the other day - he went to help a couple who where being attacked, and was killed. His friend is still in intensive care . . . . .
uggyy e2
9 2.1k 9 Scotland
2 Oct 2008 12:04PM

Quote:But you have to ask yourself what someone must be going through to take such a step.

Hopefully they dont take that step...

Fact of life is there sick peeps out there who think things are funny that dont affect them. One can only hope that when life effects them in some way they come to understand and learn what kind of idiots they are....

My mom/dad where out last year in the West End Glasgow, near Byers Road. A couple where standing near them as two "low lifes, girl and a man" walked past. The girl looked at the couple and said what you looking at and punched her out the blue, the guy then looked to the other guy and threatened him. The couple had did nothing, said nothing and this was in broad daylight. By the time my dad got over the two low lifes where off. Im glad my dad didnt get over as he not fit enough to deal with a situation like that...

On another note, if someone does encourage someone to jump and its recorded, Im pretty sure its an offence....

Tommy
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2008 12:11PM
Tommy - sound like they where 'NEDS' - non educated deliquents! Went to T in the Park a few years back, and we where unfortunate enough to be camped next to a big group of Neds - they didn't bother going into the festival site - just spent the time sniffing glue etc.
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2008 12:17PM

Quote:they didn't bother going into the festival site - just spent the time sniffing glue etc

So that's where the NW Group meet Wink
2 Oct 2008 12:34PM

Quote:So that's where the NW Group meet

And when they came back they were glued to their computers? Wink

And had 'Sticky Keys'?
BubbaG2000 e2
7 767 1
2 Oct 2008 12:39PM

Quote:if someone does encourage someone to jump and its recorded, Im pretty sure its an offence....

I think someone was arrested in Inverness a year or so back for that? Times and location may be wrong though!
Pearybhoy 7 47 Scotland
4 Oct 2008 8:55PM
we do live in a pretty selfish, shallow and sad society, glad not everyone is like that though!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.