Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

When did you last get this from a service Co.!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 3:02 PM

I sent my Gossen 'starlight' lightmeter direct to Germany last Friday for repair.....

Yesterday they rang back saying that the complete swivel head needed replacing and that it would cost about E140 including Post.... go ahead please I said - (the problem was a result of my clumsiness in the first place)....... they were about to ring off when I said "what about payment" (previous enquires informed me that they would mysteriously not accept credit cards)........" oh yes " she said - " if you give us your word of honour we will send it then invoice you " ..... "I'll give you my double word of honour " I said - pretty impressed that they would take that chance on a stranger - we laughed and rang off.

Five minutes later she rang again and said that there had been a change of circumstance ...."damn" - I thought assuming they had changed their mind and wouldn't send it until payment was received ......... " Yes we've decided to do it under guarantee (well expired) " ...............

Knock me over with a feather duster !!!.......... nuff said!!!

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 4 Nov 2008 - 3:07 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Nov 2008 - 3:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 3:07 PM

Interesting tale... They're not half bad, those Germans. We recently bought a whole load of bathroom equipment (slightly off the photographic topic) from a German mail order website and it cost 7 Euros postage and packaging! 7 Euros, about 4 quid or so.

When it arrived, the box was virtually a metre cube with all the items safely packaged in foam and bubble wrap stuff, and it wasn't the lightest of boxes either!

Why do we have to pay 8 or 10 in the UK to have something small shipped a few hundred miles? Sorry it's slightly off topic, but it's another thumbs up for German companies and their customer service.

Last Modified By Metalhead at 4 Nov 2008 - 3:08 PM
    davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 6:15 PM

At least your comment supports, in this day and age, an extrordinary approach to business - one frankly I suspect simply doesn't exist in our beloved land - we are afflicted with the 'american disease' - 'chase the buck at any and all costs' -

What about pride of work, what about standards, what about.....et all

ho! hum!

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 4 Nov 2008 - 6:16 PM
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 6:24 PM

"British" and "service" are words which don't really gel do they? Wink

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110403 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 6:57 PM

Quote: "British" and "service" are words which don't really gel do they?

funny that CB, I find that I expect and usually get excellent service in the UK (and often from those companies that others seem to report bad things on).

So - my local PCWorld provide first rate pre-sales advice and also back-up if equipment fails, both to me and neighbours that I have introduced to them.

Our local Comet provided superb support when my Sharp LCD TV failed, doing most of the chasing for me, keeping me informed of what was happening and finally booting Sharp into touch and providing me with a full refund on a several month old TV + a cracking deal on a new and higher specced Sony set (I was so impressed I wrote them a letter of commendation, copied to them and Comet head office).

I could bore you with many more examples but suffice to say I rarely have problems in this area, if I do - I kick them hard, if I get good service - I compliment them.

Works for me!

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110403 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 7:19 PM

Nope - not April Fool's day - just reporting what I find.

I sometimes get a bit peed off with the game of "Let's Knock Britain" - I believe that you often get the service you deserve!

49er
    49er  8564 forum posts
    4 Nov 2008 - 7:33 PM

Sigma repaired my (then) 300 2.8 lens a year after warranty had expired free (inc postage) as they sid it should not have developed that fault (loose screws inside lens) and they serviced the lens as well.
    I have found in the last year or so a lot of companies have improved their customer service. Maybe they just cant keep dropping prices to keep customers and have realised that good service goes a long way..

edgar

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 7:50 PM

Edgar has a screw loose, never have guessed Wink

Well someone had to say it!

Good service has a lot to do with the attitude of the customer. Explaining rationally the issue works a lot better than ranting and raving. As Brian says we often get the service we deserve.

Chris_H
    Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 8:05 PM

I have just had similar good service from germany, I dropped my Heliopan filter and the glass smashed. I thought rather than getting a new one I would contact Heliopan and see how much it would cost them to replace the glass, they said sent it to them in Germany and they will see what they can do.

Last week they sent me a brand new one in the post, they never asked for a receipt or when I purchased it (which was over two years ago) they were just extremely helpful and friendly the whole time and now I have a free replacement.

loweskid
    loweskid  132044 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Nov 2008 - 8:53 PM

There are some good British companies. I bought a roof box for the car a couple of years ago. The first time I took it off the roof I left all the fittings up there and of course drove off (yes, I know - dumb). I emailed the company that afternoon to ask if they could supply replacements and how much - a replacement set arrived in the post the following morning with no charge.

bigalguitarpicker

The shutter was sticking on my Seagull so I emailed Lomo to find out what a repair would cost. They said they would check it out and repair it if possible, or replace it if unable to repair. In the event, they couldn't repair and didn't have one to replace it with, so they asked me if I'd like the next model up. Free. And out of guarantee. Well done Lomo!

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2008 - 12:56 AM

Quote: I emailed the company that afternoon to ask if they could supply replacements and how much - a replacement set arrived in the post the following morning with no charge.

Whilst packing my camera gear into the car I placed my walking boots plus extra pair of socks on the car roof.

Of course, I drove off with them still on top. Not long though, when reached my destination they were long gone!

I did recover the socks though by walking the early part of the route.

Perhaps the boot maker will replace my lost boots?

I doubt it!!! Sad
    jas

Last Modified By Just Jas at 5 Nov 2008 - 12:56 AM
    Metalhead
    Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2008 - 9:42 AM

Quote: There are some good British companies.

Agreed. I bought my wife a hand-crafted Celtic hair buckle thingy the other year and the first time she used it the clasp mechanism snapped off. I contacted the company who supplied it to ask if they could fix it and they sent a brand new replacement without me sending the broken one back to them! I'm sure the original was repairable. Probably still got it boxed up somewhere...

ZenTog
    ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2008 - 9:49 AM

Quote: At least your comment supports, in this day and age, an extrordinary approach to business - one frankly I suspect simply doesn't exist in our beloved land - we are afflicted with the 'american disease' - 'chase the buck at any and all costs' -

What about pride of work, what about standards, what about.....et all

db

I have to disagree here, I run a small event photography company, we give great service wether at a very small pony club event or a national sized event, we bend over backwards to help customers sometimes to our cost.
    I put the customer first in all aspects of service, now we are starting into weddings we are going to givethat same standard of service, a good American term is hug your customer, it pays rewards.
    if a customer is not happy with thier print we reprint , if still not happy we let them keep the print and refund the price .

davidbailie
    5 Nov 2008 - 4:17 PM

Quote: if still not happy we let them keep the print and refund the price

yes but do you pay the postage ?..........

Smile

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 5 Nov 2008 - 4:17 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.