Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

When did You Last Take The Plunge!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
14 Jun 2010 - 3:14 PM

I'm one of these sad characters that keeps cameras for a long time but chooses them very carefully. I swiched to Nikon from Pentax Spotmatic series back in 1981 and still have much of that original purchase.

When I turned professional, I bought a trio of F100 bodies and some zooms: then digital in 2002 saw a trio of Kodak DCS760 bodies which were upgraded to D3 in 2008.

My weakness is for lenses and I do have many more than I need. She-who-must-be-obeyed has urged me to sell a few duplicates.

Personal work is done with an ancient F2.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Jun 2010 - 3:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2010 - 6:10 PM

I started off on pentax gear for years and was very happy with it , eventually my need for better glass and longer prime teles etc meant the move was on , after much research and testing I came to the conclusion that Canon was the only way to go , principly because it has the biggest and best range of glass at the best prices IMHO , the bodies nikon and canon make are much of a muchness and both fantastic ...

current kit
Canon 5DmkI Body
Canon 5DmkII Body
EF 50mm F1.4
EF 100mm F2.8 macro
EF 24-105L F4
EF 17-40L F4
EF 200L F2.8

the 24-105L for weddings was my primary reason for going canon , the 24-70 just didnt have the reach i wanted , and i am over the moon with the quality versatility and usability of this lens , however someone else may have completely different requirements from the camera and lenses so thats a personl thing !

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2010 - 7:02 PM

I was on a real high yesterday as it was the first proper outing and test of the D300s. I had a good go at HDR which was always just a little bit more complicated with the D80. Simplicity itself on the D300s. Put my macro lens to good use photographing a very wierd white spider???! (Will have to upload that one and see if anyone knows what "breed" it is). Tested out the multiple exposure facility as well. Stuck it in App/P and played around in F2.8-4. Tested the P programme as well and have to say it coped well with some very changeable lighting conditions.

Even my confirmed Canon buddy admitted to being very impressed with it. Now that's what I call praise! Wink

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2010 - 7:11 PM

you have copied me alost exactly... had my d80 for 4 years and bought the d300s about 6 months ago now.

never looking back Smile

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2010 - 7:19 PM

Well, I took the plunge into a digital camera about 18 months ago having spent over a year researching & trying out different models in a camera shop.

At the time I was certain I had made the right choice but the camera has been returned twice for investigation / repairs covering about 7 weeks and 8,000 firings of the shutter and I am still not convinced it is OK.
According to the manufacture's repair centre everything is tickety-boo !

I have now been advised to e-mail one of their UK Managers' with details but it will probably not do any good Sad

I certainly will not be taking the plunge again Sad

In fact, I do not get the same feeling of enjoyment with the digital as I did with my Medium Format film camera, so the digital may even find a direct route to the "trash can" !

I do hope you have better success with the Nikon, all my epz friends keep reminding me I should have gone with that brand to start with Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 14 Jun 2010 - 7:21 PM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 51161 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2010 - 8:00 PM

Really sorry to hear that Jeff. If you do change then why not try hiring one to start off with. At least you will get the feel of the camera and know whether it will suit you or not. Real pain if they don't work properly though. Sad

BigRick
14 Jun 2010 - 10:15 PM

Quote: Well, I took the plunge into a digital camera about 18 months ago having spent over a year researching & trying out different models in a camera shop.

At the time I was certain I had made the right choice but the camera has been returned twice for investigation / repairs covering about 7 weeks and 8,000 firings of the shutter and I am still not convinced it is OK.
According to the manufacture's repair centre everything is tickety-boo !

I have now been advised to e-mail one of their UK Managers' with details but it will probably not do any good Sad

I certainly will not be taking the plunge again Sad

In fact, I do not get the same feeling of enjoyment with the digital as I did with my Medium Format film camera, so the digital may even find a direct route to the "trash can" !

I do hope you have better success with the Nikon, all my epz friends keep reminding me I should have gone with that brand to start with Wink

errrrmmmmm....... yes you should have. Tongue

keith selmes
15 Jun 2010 - 1:00 PM

Nikon gear is really good - when used properly Smile

BigRick
15 Jun 2010 - 10:18 PM

Quote: Nikon gear is really good - when used properly Smile

I totaly agree.... when used on a Nikon body it would work perfectly.... Tongue

johnjrp
johnjrp e2 Member 10430 forum postsjohnjrp vcard Australia5 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2010 - 1:50 AM

I moved from my faithful Minolta 7d to a Nikon D700 about a month ago. I love the camera and lenses. Got this camera for its low noise in low light as I do a number of weddings etc. John

photofrenzy
16 Jun 2010 - 8:12 AM

I used canon for 17 years on film then went digital five years ago eos-1Ds with a couple v L lenses, I took the plunge in 2007 with the Nikon D3 and am still building my lenses up which are very expensive i use now a Nikkor af-s 16-35 f4 G ED VR N - Nikkor af-s 105 f2.8 G ED VR N lenses, Couldnt realy care less what comes out now cos i am realy happy with the quality of the D3 its a perfect all rounder and performer superb in low light shadows are spot on for detail. And no ERROR 99 CODE yippeeeee

Last Modified By photofrenzy at 16 Jun 2010 - 8:16 AM
ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
23 Jun 2010 - 6:11 PM

Hello friends,

just over 2 years ago, I bought my current 450D. I already had 3 ' L' series lenses that I used on my Eos 3. I must get it it out and use it, as I still have loads of film - dates not a worry.

Since being shown by a friend, the versatility of using my camera on manual mode, I'm learning to enjoy my photography again. My gripe is being able to make sense of a rather dim viewfinder. Also, has anybody else had problems using their camera with vari-focal glasses? On occasion, I can't decide if an image is pin sharp or not. Of course, most of the time, the autofocus works well.

My next camera shall be a Canon 7D, which I've already looked at twice, recently. The price makes my wife think, I'm changing the car!

Frank.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2010 - 8:27 AM

Quote: The price makes my wife think, I'm changing the car!

Just tell her you are changing gear - she will still think you are talking about the car! Wink

janeez
24 Jun 2010 - 11:58 PM

My hubby changes cars far more often than I change cameras! He never complains when I upgrade my camera or buy a new lens. I wonder why? Wink

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
26 Jun 2010 - 8:32 PM

Hello Janeez,

are you kidding? If HE can change the car, what's a couple grand on camera gear??

Frank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.