Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

When is photography art?

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 5:04PM
Sorry got to leave the debate, after listening to the Glacier I have an inexplicable urge to go to the toilet.

I think I will call this artistic expression.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
22 Apr 2008 5:06PM
So if its crap its modern art, if its not crap it is not modern art - I think I understand can I quote you on this?
ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
22 Apr 2008 5:08PM
Soory was that your glacial crack - or just a social comment?
strawman e2
22 Apr 2008 5:13PM

Quote:So if its crap its modern art, if its not crap it is not modern art - I think I understand can I quote you on this?
Sad thing is I love some modern art, but frequently instalations just sail past me.

It's my cross to bear. So my experience, if its in an art gallery and you are wondering what it is ( I mean you can tell a cracked toilet pan and a cage with birds in it but the art??) and you turn to your long suffering wife who says

Quote:Its a pile of crap
you know its modern art.

I am told I take too romantic a view on life and what art should be. Smile
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 5:18PM
Most photography, as we generally define it, is artistic, in that every time we frame a shot decisions are being made as to what to include in frame. The level of this art varies from the fundamental holiday snap to the highly creative use of lighting and post manipulation.

PS: What is art?
Daffy1 e2
7 337 Ireland
22 Apr 2008 5:33PM
Photogaphy is Art !!
PatrickSmith e2
9 1.2k 2 United States
22 Apr 2008 5:40PM
With photography, if it is not simply a 'record shot' and the intent is something more, then it is art.
imander e2
7 388 7 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 6:15PM
surely art and beauty is in the eye of the beholder????????????????????????????????
ian
elowes e2
10 2.8k United Kingdom
22 Apr 2008 7:48PM

Quote:Yep you have to be right as long as you know it is elephant poo

It had a big label saying 'Pile of elephant poo'.

Going back a bit I will say that the very foremost use of photography, supported by the history of photography, is the recording of the moment.

And I would say that audio recordings of 'the moment' and photographs are important, probably more important that art for the vast majority of people.

I love art but I like to put it into some sort of perspective. The perspective is that it is OK to consider photography as art but history will remember the recorded moment long after the art falls by the wayside.
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
22 Apr 2008 8:06PM

Quote:It had a big label saying 'Pile of elephant poo'

Interesting whether the elephant got copyright.

And does that mean going to the toilet from now on will be expensive?
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Apr 2008 9:59PM

Quote:toilet from now on will be expensive?

Only If

Quote:a cracked toilet pan

is the result........Smile
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
22 Apr 2008 10:00PM
Which is not unlikely if an elephant's going to use it! Wink
strawman e2
23 Apr 2008 12:17AM
There was a lot more went into that cracked toilet pan than I apreciated. I am ashamed I had not understood the suffering for art.

and Croftsphoto yes you can be my agent Wink
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
23 Apr 2008 2:50AM
That's great, thank you - I'll be rich!!! Smile Think I'll go out and spend it all tomorrow Smile
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2008 10:47AM
I think because of the cultural shifts over time, our concept of art changes in accordance with these shifts. In the last half of the 20th century and in the present century, I believe that orchestras playing classical pieces by Beethoven or Mozart, for example, play at higher and more aggressive tempos than used to be fashionable.
In other words, art follows the cultural cycle or zeitgeist at the time.
Visual art is no different: look at the rubbish in the Turner gallery over a good number of years now (of course that is merely my subjective judgement); but of course, that is the point - art is surely impossible to define in absolute terms because it is so subjective by nature.
That said, I think art is something that has a form that is aesthetic, beautiful or emotionally appealing to the observer. I would say attractive patterns, colour and their juxtaposition are crucial ingredients in all art. I think this applies to music too because patterns and colour (in the sense of dynamics and textural variety) are vital elements.
I don't think art has to be particularly creative to be called art - provided it contains the above elements, but genuine creativity has to be one of the single most important elements that gives real value to a piece of art.
I feel that our modern art reflects our shallow cultural values and, not to put too fine a point on it, our insanely stressed society.
Regarding photography, there are fortunately, of course, thousands of decent photographs in EPZ galleries alone.
A number of these are real works of art in my view.

Garth

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.