Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

When to get a website

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    7 Dec 2012 - 7:58 AM

This is a general question about how do you know when is the right time to build a website. I know the fact I need to ask this may mean the answer is not yet Smile

The reason I have started thinking about it is that as I am now starting to get more serious about my hobby. I have shown my pictures to people I meet through my work (I train sales people) and have had a few ask if there's anywhere they can view them. I usually direct them to here and Flickr, but I am thinking that it would be easier if I used my own site. I am also more aware now about publishing on social sites and copyright etc. I don't intend to do this to make money, however if someone wants a picture I would prefer to get the money rather than someone who sits in an office with a hosting site. This is more so I can share my pics and also to drive my hobby forwards. So back to my question and how do you know when your pictures are ready for the public domain. I look at other sites and think, these guys are in a different league, granted these tend to be pro and semi pro photographers. I guess there's also a confidence issue too Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Dec 2012 - 7:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sasan_habibian

Tomorrow is late, you should start now!
    The comments about photos are enjoyable and you can achieve more experince from them.

goexplorephotography

If you want your own website just go ahead. If you want to display your images there is nothing to stop you. as regards the quality of your images only you can decide. The best photographers are always there own worst critic.
    I dont think there is a standard level of quality to say you can or cant have your own website.
    My only advice would be to only show your best work. Its much better to have 20 good images than 100 average ones.

I would recomend clikpic. For an anual fee of approx 60 you get a fully functioning website with search engine optermisation. Plus you can include google or paypal chekout for free if you ever want to sell your images on line.

Just go for it and enjoy being able to see your images on line. Its a free world and dont let anyone stop you enjoying your photography

puertouk
    puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Dec 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi, Im with iPage and they are offering some really good deals at the moment. You can build your website using Weebly, which makes it easy building it and you could set up a blog page as well for people who visit. I also think Weebly offer free online sites, but you will need to get yourself a domain name.
    Stephen

puertouk
    puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Dec 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hi, heres the link to Weebly

Alan_Baseley
    Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Dec 2012 - 12:56 PM

I've been dithering (nothing new here then) about setting up a website for the last 12-18 months and I've finally taken the plunge this week. I decided rather than wait until I had a suitable website I would use the building of the website as a blog and build it bit by bit on-line.
    I'm using Ecohosting (http://ecohosting.co.uk/hosting.html) a reasonably priced hosting package with UK based servers. They have the option of a no-contract package so that you can pay month by month and then if it doesn't work out or suite you, you can just quit at the end of a month. The premium for this service is only about 3 per annum. I'm paying 3.50/month for an unlimited pagage and they have cheaper packages.
    Seems like a good set up for a website virgin.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.