Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

When was the last time you used your film camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Andysnapper
Andysnapper e2 Member 699 forum postsAndysnapper vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2013 - 10:11 PM

Slide film does cost about the same as a small or even medium sized house and is only going up in price sadly. Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Sep 2013 - 10:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pablophotographer

Hello roadrocket and welcome in our company. have found 4 Agfa Precisa 36 exposures 100 ISO slide film for 20 pounds (19.99 to be precise) in Amazon, I used the 'shop' function on top of the page then typed Accessories on the left side settings and typed in the window below 'slide film 35mm ' and got it as a second result. The solution regarding having your name printed on the cardboard mounts would be a self-inking automatic stamp like Trodat Printy 4910 or Shiny Premium Printer (the smallest size possible). If your text would be just two lines they would be fine, I guess. Ask a local stampmaker by showing him the dimensions of the slide mount.

Wink

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
29 Sep 2013 - 5:56 PM

leyland.jpg

Very pleased with this one - it's the first shot I've scanned from the first film I've processed myself in around 15 years!

This was taken last Saturday at the Chatham Historic Dockyard "Salute to the 40's&" event, using my Minolta Dynax 7, and my Sony STF135mm F2.8 [T4.5] lens, on Ilford HP5 400, and thanks to the data back on this camera, I know that it was shot at 1/250th at f/4.5.

Developed in Ilford Ilfosol 3 for 9.5 minutes, it was scanned on my Epson Perfection V700 at 4800dpi in 24bit colour, and cleaned up in Photoshop CS5, before having a slight contrast boost, and a frame added by Nik Colour Efex.

The actual shot is the name badge and radiator grille of a vintage fire-engine that was part of a static display.

pentaxpete
30 Sep 2013 - 5:37 PM

Today I went out with my 'gift' Asahi Pentax Spotmatic from the 1970's loaded with 2007 dated Fuji Acros ( kept in 'fridge) to test for correct development time in Geoffrey Crawley's formula FX37 1+3 -- I used various lenses, 28mm ,50mm, 105mm, 150mm and 300mm and gave it 5.5 mins at 68oC and that was a good time as previously I was giving 6 mins.

gravedigger
6 Oct 2013 - 7:21 PM

just logged on after 4 months of work and no play!!..interested to see all the comments about "Film" cameras..tooooo my shame my eos 5 is still in a cupboard this last 7yrs along with a enlarger and about 50 boxes of photo papers..don't know if I can remember how to use one now!!!!..should maybe sell it if I can

pablophotographer

Last few days I have been using a single use film camera, no hassle, haha.
Very close to finishing the 27 exposures, good thing that the photographer promoted buying one and getting one for 'free'.
I have also loaded the Zenit EM and shot about 7 frames, the very last one today.

mussy
mussy  5
17 Oct 2013 - 8:55 PM

Last weekend with my Holga 120 and I shall develop them myself, also got hold of a couple of polaroid packs so took that to a party a few people had never seen one (honest)

pentaxpete
18 Oct 2013 - 4:22 PM

I have finally got round to opening a 100 foot tin of some strange FUJI film I was given by a studio Photographer ' Fuji SURVEI Color 400'
well loaded some into a cassette and into my 1960's Asahi Pentax SV -- film was dated 2003 so rated it at 200 ASA and processed for some extra time in C41 and I got some quite good photos --
london-trip-10.jpg
Docklands Light Railway from Emirates Cable Car over the River Thames, 1973 105mm f2.8 SMC Takumar, through glass of capsule

pablophotographer

Bravo Pete, I used an old Zenit ME, but I will wait until next Tuesday for the results....

sharpfocusphoto

what is a film camera? lol I may sound old fashioned but I do think digital took the fun out of photography, but if you're broke you cannot afford the mounting costs of film photography. the last time I tried to dust off my contax was last year. it broke down. now debating should I send to repair or just buy another used one?

monstersnowman
28 Oct 2013 - 3:38 AM

On the contrary ... Digital added the 'fun', ... Being able to shoot freely and receive immediate feedback without worrying about costs stacking up every shutter click and having to wait several days or weeks to use up precious frames and develop ... Digital DEFINATELY put the 'fun' back into photography.

Andysnapper
Andysnapper e2 Member 699 forum postsAndysnapper vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2013 - 3:08 PM

Don't go down the road of digital is better than film and vice versa. They are just different ways of obtaining an image, neither is better than the other. In my case I prefer shooting film (although I shoot digital more than half the time). It slows me down and makes me think about settings, composition and framing and not just firing away and hoping to get a good shot. This is not to say that photographers who shoot digital do not take the same time, just that not all of them do.
I actually quite like the anticipation of waiting the 2 days it takes for my films to come back from my chosen developer, it makes me appreciate them more when they return home. And if you develop your own (I shall be doing this later in the year) you can have the results nearly as quickly as downloading onto a computer and running through your preferred software. And there is nothing as magical and satisfying as watching a print appear before your eyes in the darkroom, digital will never give you that joy however good a shot you have taken. Grin

I used my Mamiya C330 at the weekend. Shot a roll of Velvia 100 slide film at the National Arboretum in Westonbirt. Hopefully some lovely autumnal colours.

Andy

monstersnowman
29 Oct 2013 - 3:53 AM

Quite certain i didnt say either was better or worse. I simply said digital added 'fun' in response to a previous suggestion that digital has taken the 'fun' out ... If you enjoy film more i am susrprised you use digital more though ... If you enjoy the wait why not just pop your memory card in the second class post ;0) addressed to yourself ...

monstersnowman
29 Oct 2013 - 4:18 AM

In response to your point about the magical experience of seeing an image appear in the darkroom, it is a fair point, but on balance I would also say that i have had many magical moments of extreme joy seeing a beautiful image appear on the back of my digital camera and being filled with excitement and anticipation of getting home and seeing it on a large screen.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2013 - 9:21 AM

Quote: I would also say that i have had many magical moments of extreme joy seeing a beautiful image appear on the back of my digital camera and being filled with excitement and anticipation of getting home and seeing it on a large screen.

Or that feeling of extreme disappointment when you view said beautiful image at 100% and find that it's not sharp... I generally don't trust the image on the back of the camera since it bears so little relation to the raw file (being a processed jpeg) and I often don't even bother to check it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.