Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

When was the last time you used your film camera?

Andysnapper e2
6 108 22 England
29 Oct 2013 11:29AM

Quote:Quite certain i didnt say either was better or worse. I simply said digital added 'fun' in response to a previous suggestion that digital has taken the 'fun' out ... If you enjoy film more i am susrprised you use digital more though ... If you enjoy the wait why not just pop your memory card in the second class post ;0) addressed to yourself ...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you had said one was better, its just that often these threads can degenerate into a mud-slinging match. It's horses for courses with me, digital for wildlife, compact digital or film camera for a long, mountain walk and film for general landscapes and portraits.

Andy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2013 12:28PM

Quote: If you enjoy film more i am susrprised you use digital more though .
digital for practicality, film for fun. why surprising ?
how many people drive a car into the country so they can go for a walk ? or drive around with a bicycle strapped to the car so they can get some exercise ?
in our 21st century culture this sort of division is quite normal. sometimes a bit peculiar, but pretty mainstream.
I like to grow or pick my own food, but I usually buy it in a supermarket. etc. etc.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
29 Oct 2013 12:39PM
Yes "sometimes peculiar", hence my surprise. Glad we agree.Grin
29 Oct 2013 12:45PM

Quote:
Or that feeling of extreme disappointment when you view said beautiful image at 100% and find that it's not sharp... I generally don't trust the image on the back of the camera since it bears so little relation to the raw file (being a processed jpeg) and I often don't even bother to check it.

Exactly!! Thats why there is a sense of anticipation and excitement before getting back to the home computer, just like waiting for the photographs in the post to see lovely images or to find you actually missed the moment or did not focus or the standard processing has resulted in a scene nothing like what was photographed. It seems digital does indeed mirror much about film but with an injection of fun and practicality.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
29 Oct 2013 2:27PM

Quote:It seems digital does indeed mirror much about film but with an injection of fun and practicality.

Practicality I understand but I still get more enjoyment from shooting 5x4 than I do from my DSLR - even if it means hiking 12km with 14kg of gear on my back (as it did on Saturday....) Perhaps I'm just weird like that? Wink
29 Oct 2013 3:49PM
No not weird, just horses for courses Grin
1 Nov 2013 5:37AM

Quote:Regularly use my OM4ti for Black and white. Nothing beats it when developing and printing it all too

Have to agree with Focus_Man .. On my degree course the darkroom prints from everyone on the course were appalling compared with digital output .. Even putting detailed grain analysis aside the overall images were incomparable ...
1 Nov 2013 12:02PM
Two films are to be sent for development, cross fingers!
Andysnapper e2
6 108 22 England
2 Nov 2013 5:41PM
I don't think this compares too badly to digital....

Andy
10 Nov 2013 10:44PM
Andy, I wouldn't compare it with digital just enjoy it as its own. We shoot film either for our fun, or to keep our old cameras working, or because we have no other alternative. The fun is the same. I must have shot my last pic on 30th of October, last month I've used a single use camera and an old Zenit EM. The first roll didn't make it to print (oops) but the second roll did produce results, despite film snapping during rewinding! I opened for first time a canister, united the film with sellotape in a dark room of the house, put it back to the canister and took it to the developers. I had undertaken an important mission , shooting a dear friend's son in a parade and it would be pity to have no pictures to offer her.
Andysnapper e2
6 108 22 England
12 Nov 2013 1:50PM
Oh I agree entirely, I only shoot for fun whether digital or film and I scan my negatives to produce what I like to call 'figital' images (as above). But I just enjoy shooting film more than digital, maybe I like the challenge Grin
17 Nov 2013 9:57PM
Used mine, a wooded pinhole with 120 Fuji acros 100 yesterday, developed the film last night, scanned, edited and posted the images this morning.

Who says film is slow!

Chris
18 Nov 2013 4:42AM
Yetsreday, shot two frames with autumn subjects
Andysnapper e2
6 108 22 England
18 Nov 2013 8:27PM
I went a bit mad the weekend before last, shot 2 rolls of 120 through the Mamiya C330 and got 20 good ones (well good for me anyway) And then this weekend I shot 16 frames of 13 year out of date HP5 through the Nikon FG....crikey talk about machine gunning.Grin

Andy
18 Nov 2013 10:30PM
Andy I hope these photos are real 'killers', keep firing!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.