Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

When was the last time you used your film camera?

26 Jul 2014 1:46PM

Quote:The truth is I tend to use Tapatalk (on a tablet)

Keep taking the tablets, CB! Tongue

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L e2
1.3k United Kingdom
26 Jul 2014 2:15PM
Increase your dose!
Quote:When I posted that several years ago the only tablets were the bulky A4 sized ones

ROFL Even if that was true, it wouldn't defend your 'days are numbered' prediction. Where's the A4-sized iPads?

You said that in August 2011. Even the first generation iPad (April 2010) was far less than A4. The smaller second generation iPad was out by March 2011 and Samsung and others had various tablets out with Amazn touting the next gen Kindles

Quote: I think the days of the iPad are numbered

So funny!
27 Jul 2014 8:57AM
LOL @johnkennedy.............. (& CB)
How easy it is to make predictions which turn out to be wrong!
I must confess that in the very early days of my ePz membership (first time round that is - 2003/2004 I think ) I stated that jpegs were the way forward and RAW would never catch on Blush.

In my defence it was (for me anyway) early in my digital dawn and several other members agreed with me (a rare event indeed).

However, to get back on topic, the last time I used film was around 2002 when I used a Nikon F100. My very first digital was an early Nikon Coolpix.
31 Jul 2014 4:10PM
My Hasselblad 503 last week Smile
I also just got myself 2 new "analogue friends" last weekend, a Leica M6 and a Hasselblad XPAN…am looking forward to trying them soon.
Next challenge will be to develop the film myself.
31 Jul 2014 4:51PM
Today I looked at my Seagull 4A-109. The film I put in it about 7 years ago is still there. Just thought I'd let you all know. Wink
Alex.
pentaxpete 9 523 1 England
31 Jul 2014 6:23PM
You want to let me finish that up for you and develop it !! You may have some 'Prizewinners' !
TODAY I went out with one of my Prakticas an MTL3 loaded with some Kodak 'Select' B&W C41 film of dubious age ( it was given to me years ago and found it in my fridge) and I used my 'gift' Tamron SP 3.5-4 70-201mm zoom again and got 1.1000th at f8 and processed up and scanned the negs.
passerby-02.jpg

ic-20131222-903swc-ektar-0000001.jpg

ic-20140101-503cw-ektar-0000006-edit.jpg

ic-2014-ilford-delta-100-0000009.jpg

ic-2014-ilford-delta-100-0000001.jpg

Here a few of my images taken last winter…I am a bit behind with my scanning Wink
RobboB e2
7 78 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 5:11PM
Never more is the answer for me. Took my Bronica RF 645 into LCE in Bath on Saturday and got a trade in on a new lens. It was only gathering dust but I grew up with film starting with a Halina Paulette and then a Zenith E. I feel a little sad but needs must.
Nigeve1 e2
1 831 91 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2014 1:36PM
Not since 2003. However, my son stayed with his grandparents last week and found a 1950's Kodak Retinette, which he returned with and wants to go out and try some film photography. Aged 9, he has not even seen a film. I found my old Nikon F801 at the bottom of a cupboard and have ordered up two rolls of Tri-x. The plan is to go out with one roll each and have a film photography shooting trip. Sadly no longer have the darkroom kit, so will have to do with a commercial processor. Any recommendations for a good value one with decent quality?
pentaxpete 9 523 1 England
6 Aug 2014 3:02PM
I can process B&W Tri-X £1-50 a roll -- PM me for details
bugdozer 11 85 2
21 Aug 2014 1:01PM

Quote:You want to let me finish that up for you and develop it !! You may have some 'Prizewinners' !
TODAY I went out with one of my Prakticas an MTL3 loaded with some Kodak 'Select' B&W C41 film of dubious age ( it was given to me years ago and found it in my fridge) and I used my 'gift' Tamron SP 3.5-4 70-201mm zoom again and got 1.1000th at f8 and processed up and scanned the negs.

I LOVED my Praktica MTL3! I'd still be using it if the winding mechanism hadn't broken down irreparably Sad
Although this isn't technically a film camera comment, I went out with my Grandad's old Polaroid SLR yesterday. Taking a picture in an amusement arcade, two young lads came up to me and asked what that thing was I was using! They didn't even know such devices existed... not surprising, but they seemed delighted to see it in action. I felt happy to be able to provide a glimpse of what came before the digital age to children who will probably never use an analogue camera in their life and only know of the unique picture qualities through Iphone apps used to process their snaps!
21 Aug 2014 1:19PM
Last used mine when I was 7 years old. I miss using film so am currently looking at a few OM-10's on ebay for less than £20 in full working order Smile
Hopefully I can snatch a gooden' up
Sooty_1 4 1.2k 202 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2014 9:19PM
I don't think there was such a thing, even when they were current.........Tongue

Seriously, they had a bit of a problem with sticking magnets even then, and now the very latest is going to be over 25 years old...not good for 70s and 80s electronics. Plus, the light trapping is often perished, or gungy, and not worth the repair. You might be better off going for a much later camera, or at least something like an OM1 or an OM3, which were built much better.
Alternatively, something like a Pentax K1000 or a Nikon FM2n, both mechanical so not dependent on batteries for exposure.

Remember, many of these old cameras won't have been used for some time, and may not have been stored well. If you can afford a punt at £20 though, I hope it works out for you, but I would be inclined to shop very carefully as some faults are not immediately obvious.

Nick
altitude50 10 2.1k United Kingdom
22 Aug 2014 8:18AM
I have had a very nice Olympus OM-1 for years, with 3 or 4 lenses to fit, I would never sell it, but I have also bought and sold a few OM-10.
They have all been in 'good' working order and I have never paid more than £10 for them. The best one I bought, with Zuiko lens was £1.31p on ebay. I think they are a rather under rated camera and because there are so many around it is easy to find one that is in 'good' condition. I really like the feel of the OM-10 to use.
If you are considering an OM 10 try and get one with the manual adapter, if the camera isn't too good you can sell the adapter and get all or most of your money back.
But, personally, if I didn't have the Zuiko lenses I would now go for the Pentax ME Super, again thousands of them around to choose from and they have a metal bladed shutter.
22 Aug 2014 8:44AM
I went with the OM10, the seller kindly showed me a few scanned prints she recently took with the camera and a link to her youtube showing a video of it working. No manual adapter but I am an AP shooter Wink anyway, £4! with a Zuiko 50mm f1.8.

Cannot wait to get it and some B&W film Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.