Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

When was the last time you used your film camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 11:32 AM

Quote: You may be blown away by the simplicity of their oparation, it's so refreshing.

Hmmm, I think we may have different definitions of the word "simplicity". I've been thinking about borrowing an old Pentax my dad had, but realised that first I've got to find somewhere to buy the film, work out how to load it, work out how the controls work, go through the hassle of getting the film developed and possibly scanned. Compared to my little Olympus where I point it at something and what I see on the back is what it records when I press the button and all I have to do is insert the card for the pictures to e available to me.
I can understand that using a film camera has a different craft to it, but simpler? i can't see it myself.

Quote: The flapping of teh mirror makes each shot a truly optical and acoustic experience.
Flap! It's so reaffirming you got the shot

My Canon DSLR has a little mirror that flaps up and down & makes noises like that - only difference is that I can look at the back to really affirm I got the shot!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Dec 2012 - 11:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monstersnowman
8 Dec 2012 - 12:00 PM

Lol lobster boy, you said exactly what I was thinking !! ... My dslr has a mirror noise, and last time I recalled, back in the film days people actually appreciated the LESS noise their mirror made. Call me old fashioned but waiting days for the images, loading film and wishing your film lasted longer or was a different type once it was in, were just some of the annoying things that put me off photography. I am as likely to go back to film as i am going to disconnect my electric car windows and stick a winding handle back on them or replace my washing machine spin cycle with a mangle. I haven't stopped smiling since the Canon 300D :0)

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 7:56 PM

Quote: You may be blown away by the simplicity of their oparation, it's so refreshing.
The flapping of teh mirror makes each shot a truly optical and acoustic experience.
Flap! It's so reaffirming you got the shot Smile

It can't be that good. Of the last 20 photos in your portfolio not one was taken on film.

If film is so good why is it that the overwhelming majority use digital cameras?

If you like film and wish to continue using it, that's fine. Just be like Pentaxpete and get on with it.

pablophotographer

It would be nice if you keep the discussion relevant and contribute with your input rather than making assumptions. I shall not discuss in public the medical reasons that prohibit me enjoying shooting with an SLR.

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2012 - 6:32 AM

Quote: If film is so good why is it that the overwhelming majority use digital cameras?

Because people are generally lazy and digital cameras are seen as a shortcut to getting decent results.

And because the big companies are marketing digital cameras like crazy. They're relatively cheap to make and sell at prices much higher than corresponding cameras did in the film days. People buy what they are told to buy.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2012 - 8:41 AM

Quote: People buy what they are told to buy.

Oh come off it Jools, people buy digital cameras because they are far more convenient than using film.
And even now the current crop of digital cameras are starting to look really inconvenient compared to camera phones, so most will change to include wifi/direct uploading to sharing sites and a general purpose OS like Android, etc.

Most people don't want their life to be more complicated than it has to be.

pablophotographer

Quote: Of the last 20 photos in your portfolio not one was taken on film.

That's total malarkey cameraman two of the last twenty at the time you made your comment were taken with a film SLR. I have sent you last night a private message explaining the reasons that prohibit me using my film cameras. I had expected to have at least an acknowledgement, if not a sincere apology, for the comment you had made, by now.

Apologies from the rest of the contrributors for taking this personally but I was affected by the comment probably too much. It does hurt not being able to see right and use your equipment. I wish you all have acute eyesight and enjoy taking pictures, whatever camera you use.

Back to the point of when it was the last time you ised your film camera....

p12owe
p12owe e2 Member 1101 forum postsp12owe vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2012 - 4:28 PM

Back in the early eighties, I had an old practika bought from a jumble sale (remember those?). I developed my own rolls of black and white film in a cramped store cupboard at school. Yes it was fun and yes it was a challenge. but I'm afraid I have become what Julesb so kindly describes as "generally lazy". I have joined the millions who have bought "what they are told to buy" in the shape of a second hand Canon 5d and some cheap lenses. For me it is the versatility (and i suppose, instant gratification) of digital photography that has brought me back, years later to a long forgotten hobby.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Dec 2012 - 6:52 PM

Quote:
Because people are generally lazy and digital cameras are seen as a shortcut to getting decent results.

I could never get anywhere near the results I get in digital for B&W work with film.
Those long hours locked in a darkroom has now been replaced by an hour or so in comfort exploring the infinite techniques.

pablophotographer

hey folks I didn't start this topic for getting the film and digital afficionados fighting.

monstersnowman
9 Dec 2012 - 10:21 PM

I actually dislike the generalisation that people such as myself only use digital now because we are 'lazy' and so malleable and lacking in own our thought that we simply 'buy what we are told to buy' and have taken a 'shortcut to decent results' (not that there is anything at all wrong with shortcuts to decent results).

p12owe
p12owe e2 Member 1101 forum postsp12owe vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 1:55 PM

Quote: Hey folks I didn't start this topic for getting the film and digital afficionados fighting.

I don't think anybodies really fighting here... like it or not, film cameras are inevitably becoming something of a niche subject in comparison to digital. When discussing your favorite niche it is all too easy (albeit unintentionally) to appear to adopt a superior stance. To give this out this appearance, or make generalizations such as the one referring to digital users as "generally lazy" should quite rightly be challenged. The point of the forum is that different points of view can be aired, but just as some will disagree with me, I have equal right to disagree (in as nicer way as possible of course!) with them.

joolsb
joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 3:17 PM

Quote: or make generalizations such as the one referring to digital users as "generally lazy" should quite rightly be challenged.

What I actually said was 'people are generally lazy'. Which is absolutely true. Given a choice, we will all generally try to take the option that offers the least resistance. It's only human nature.

I wasn't actually having a pop at digital users just offering suggestions to counter the contention that, "If film is so good why is it that the overwhelming majority use digital cameras?".

In any case, I quite happily use both film and digital.

Last Modified By joolsb at 10 Dec 2012 - 3:20 PM
mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 3:39 PM

I have a Leica R5 that has not seen daylight since I bought my DSLR in 2005, which is a great shame because the glass is fantastic. I keep on telling myself I should dust it down but digital is just so damned convenient and, I believe, the quality has surpassed film so what would be the point (to me) other than the challenge of using it?
One day I will decied to go retro and although I doubt it will become a regular thing, you never know....

p12owe
10 Dec 2012 - 3:44 PM

Certainly, taken out of the context of your original post "people" does sound far more benign. Seriously though, I congratulate you for embracing both mediums. For my own part, the flexibility of digital and the opportunities it presents to explore my creativity, are far more important to my own circumstance at this time (and I can assure you have nothing to do with laziness!)

regards
Peter

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.