Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

When was the last time you used your film camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 3:56 PM

Mike....you can get adapters to use your Leica glass on digital. The quality is not diminished, and in many cases is at least as good as Nikon's best.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2012 - 3:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 4:05 PM

Meant to say Canon's best too!

Andysnapper
Andysnapper e2 Member 6105 forum postsAndysnapper vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 9:06 AM

I use both on a regular basis. I would never consider using film for wildlife, I can shoot 36 shots of one bird alighting on a branch, way too expensive.
However, I seriously believe that digital has not yet overtaken film in its quality. I shoot medium format mostly and 6x6 negatives have so much more depth and detail (especially in shadow areas) than digital that there is no comparison. There is a 'feel' to film, an organic, real look that digital does not yet have. Also I prefer the actual process of taking a film shot, I take more time, I think about what I'm doing as I don't want to waste the shot.
Digital photography is laying thousands of eggs and seeing if any survive, film photography you lay just a few and nurture them to adulthood. Same result, different method, both equally as viable.
Yes, it can be a pain waiting for the negs to arrive back or using a darkroom but I sit at a computer all day so I don't get the enjoyment from processing digital shots as I do from developing a film, everybody is so impatient nowadays, chill guys, learn to relax and wait patiently the satisfaction is all the greater.....Wink

Andy

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 11:49 AM

Quote: However, I seriously believe that digital has not yet overtaken film in its quality. I shoot medium format

Have you compared with MF digital?
I have read no comments for several years that suggest 35mm digital has not reached 35mm film.

Quote: I shoot medium format mostly and 6x6 negatives have so much more depth and detail (especially in shadow areas) than digital that there is no comparison.

What are your thoughts on highlights on film v digital?

Quote:

There is a 'feel' to film, an organic, real look that digital does not yet have.

I think that is down to how it is processed. There is a tendency to sharpen digital to the nth degree because you can - sometimes I look at images and think 'Jeez that is sharp - but my eyes don't see that sharp' and as a result it looks false (and I think that is what people mean by 'it looks digital').

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2012 - 12:15 PM

The amount of MF film equipment on sale, cheap as chips, on the likes of eBay gives a clue! Wink

keith selmes
21 Dec 2012 - 9:20 PM

Some MF SLR kit is fetching less now than it did a couple of years ago. However TLR and rangefinder kit seems to be going up.
I'm not planning to sell any, but at the moment, thanks possibly to hipsters, Lomo, and Vivian Maier, my junk box could be a better investment than my building society account.

Andysnapper
Andysnapper e2 Member 6105 forum postsAndysnapper vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2012 - 2:41 PM

Quote: However, I seriously believe that digital has not yet overtaken film in its quality. I shoot medium format
Have you compared with MF digital?
I have read no comments for several years that suggest 35mm digital has not reached 35mm film.

I shoot medium format mostly and 6x6 negatives have so much more depth and detail (especially in shadow areas) than digital that there is no comparison.
What are your thoughts on highlights on film v digital?

There is a 'feel' to film, an organic, real look that digital does not yet have.
I think that is down to how it is processed. There is a tendency to sharpen digital to the nth degree because you can - sometimes I look at images and think 'Jeez that is sharp - but my eyes don't see that sharp' and as a result it looks false (and I think that is what people mean by 'it looks digital').

This is a debate that no one will win as its completely subjective. MF digital is tremendous but exceptionally expensive, MF film is equally as good but cheap as chips however you do have the faff of developing. Digital, in the main, is sharper than film, however this depands on many things, lens quality, sensor size, film grain et al but film 35mm retains more detail, again, in the main.
Example : You like cheese I hate cheese, I like Father Ted you find it dull and un-funny, it all depends on taste. To my eyes film gives a different and better look than digital but to others this is not the case....as I said completely subjective.

So long as film is available I will use it because I prefer it, but I will for some things use digital because it makes much more sense. My TLR has a max shutter speed of 1/500th which is not really much use for wildlife but it produces beautiful, creamy gorgeously coloured landscapes and portraits with depth and detail and I love using it. So there you go, use what you like and enjoy it, taking photographs is the point and how we get there is really just a detail.

Cheers

Andy

Last Modified By Andysnapper at 23 Dec 2012 - 2:41 PM
pablophotographer

Guys my question was and still is when it was the last tiem you used your film camera. The discussion about the comparisson/use of the two recording mediums (film/chip) is not the point of this topic. I am looking forward to people saying they used their film camera (even if it is single use) or that they considered to use their film camera again, even for a roll, even if tyhey used it to see it still works. We all enjoy taking pictures, let's continue to do so. Peace. Have a Nice Christmas.

pablophotographer

Hmm I should have said Folks instead of Guys, the last camera club I came to know had more women than men, so guys might show we forgot the ladies, while we don't.

Andysnapper
24 Dec 2012 - 9:14 AM

Yes, of course, back to the point. I used my film camera last week and I shall be using any number of film cameras (and some digital) next week when I go off with lots of friends for a New Years week in the Pennines, which I am really looking forward to.

Cheers

Andy

pentaxpete
24 Dec 2012 - 11:08 AM

I used my latest Free Gift camera a 1970's Asahi Pentax KX with my Mecablitz 45CL3 flash on Saturday at a Filipino 50th Birthday Party, loaded with some 2011 Kodak Colorplus 200 film. There was some traditional dancing by the Birthday Celebrant and her sisters on the stage. I will probably finish the film tomorrow. I have several other cameras all film loaded but no ideas what to take yet in this awful weather -- and there are no 'floods' to take around here just wet roads and fed up looking shoppers !

TruckerPete
30 Dec 2012 - 8:07 PM

I used my Olympus OM1n yesterday photographing the Goldfinches feeding just outside on feeders.

Pete

kodachrome
3 Jan 2013 - 9:17 AM

I put a roll of Fujichrome Velvia 50 through my Minolta XD-7 50mm F/1.4 standard lens last Autumn taking all the lovely autumn colours, then projected them through a high end Leitz slide projector onto a screen in the living room. The quality, colours and definition and shadow detail was superb even at 2 metre square. I could never get that kind of quality from digital projection even after spending thousands of pounds. So in a way 35-mm colour slides give digital a good run for its money, colour print/enlargements is another story and Digital wins here. I'm nor saying one is better than the other, they are both different and are both pleasing to my eye. Yes, I know all the advantages of digital and I love that as well.

Pete

landscapepics
9 Jan 2013 - 10:01 PM

Today, yesterday,and the day before ..

Still shooting film 95% of the time, on a Mamiya RZ67, Yashicamat 124G, Pentax MX, and a few more.

Latest acquisition is a Baby Rolleiflex which uses 127 film.

I have nothing against digital, just like using film including developing both colour and black and white.

JohnnyG
JohnnyG  2 Canada
11 Jan 2013 - 1:13 AM

Last month. I used my Voigtlander Bessa R4a down in Cancun, Mexico.

img-1926.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.