Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

When was the last time you used your film camera?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

monstersnowman

Quote: 'going back to film' discussions I have been involved in without, to date, seeing one single solitary image as a result - and i MEAN I have seen NONE Poor thing - have you tried doing some yourself ?

(which emoticon is it for really innocent expression ?)

Keith, if I join a discussion on several occasions with people saying how great film is and how they are at that time going back to it and will post results why on earth shouldn't I expect to then actually see the results ... Or as a result tire of seeing the threads that never reach a conclusion. It doesn't mean I should have to try it as I have no interest in going back to film. I have done film including processing film and developing prints myself and even had cause to return to it as part of a photography degree course recently so I have indeed done it but whether I have or not does not mean I cannot post my frustration at never seeing people's pre-publicised efforts only to be disappointed invariably by no results whatsoever.

So Keith, in short, yes I have and also pin hole photography, direct positive paper exposures and am about to give cyanotype a go for my next exhibition if I get my backside into gear in time. I presume your post offers nothing apart from that pointless question.

@ johnnyG you clearly said that film gets you out of the spray and pray,ethos .. But it does get you into the click once and hope to hell you got it or try again several days or weeks later in different conditions scenario maybe even before you know if you got a keeper with the first click, so who is to say whether the one click and hope or the click chimp review and reclick and recheck and learn more method isn't more valuable as a tool for learning. I know for a fact that I learned far quicker and far more once digital came about. Also you did say that everything improves after you have shot a few rolls of film .. Which I would question very much. My reference to the 'going back to film' brigade it appears they rarely get past the developing of a roll of film as they quickly lose interest and rarely get to the point of producing a single frame they wish to show ... Hence countless 'going back to film' type threads going stale without any conclusion. I would like to say this is not the case but I'm not going to pretend.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 2 Apr 2013 - 5:01 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Apr 2013 - 4:58 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 9:55 AM

In 2001 my uncle gave me his Leica R5 and a clutch of lenses, in 2006 I went digital and have not used film since. I keep on telling myself I should get the Leica out again - as a piece of engineering it was beautiful to handle, compact and a mark of true quality. But the convenience of digital and the quality of modern lenses means that urge never gets fulfilled because I know that the actual end result will not surpass my digital camera. So I can understand why people go from digital to film whether it is as a return to the past or attracted for the first time to a different technology in exactly the same way people drive vintage cars (no synchro-mesh, no power steering, no ABS etc) and I would think that for a vast majority who do so, the quality of results is a distant second.

@ johnnyG: like monstersnowman, I don't buy that 'learning curve' thing but it would be interesting to know if you went back to film because of the learning curve, or if you went back for other reasons and found in retrospect that it had a benefit on your digital photography.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 10:53 AM

Quote: In 2001 my uncle gave me his Leica R5 and a clutch of lenses, in 2006 I went digital and have not used film since. I keep on telling myself I should get the Leica out again - as a piece of engineering it was beautiful to handle, compact and a mark of true quality. But the convenience of digital and the quality of modern lenses means that urge never gets fulfilled because I know that the actual end result will not surpass my digital camera.

Yeah, the camera is junk and Leica lenses are really no match for a modern kit lens. Best got rid of, I'd say. Tell you what, I'll take the lot off your hands for a fiver. Wink

mikehit
mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Apr 2013 - 11:15 AM

Tempting, Jools but I just don't want you to feel as though I have taken advantage of you.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
3 Apr 2013 - 2:04 PM

Oh, OK. 2.50 then. You drive a hard bargain, Mike. Wink

pablophotographer

I took my camera with me today hoping to get the "red card tacklin" picture in a proper green flooring background. I even got prepared and wore my sports shoes Smile

On my way to the place, during my wait for the bus, I've seen a great shooting potential. I seagull standing above some chimneys which were peaking from a pointed roof. The setting looked like the lower back of an envelope, you know that paper thing that used to wrap around letters we posted.
Not only I had to take the camera off the bag, but I also had to attach the teleconverter above the 50mm prime Rokkor lens. As I was looking down I was hoping teh seagull would keep being showered by the sunlight. I am glad he did actually. I turned on the X700 and looked through the eyepiece, it looked prefect. I adjusted the aperture to f8 and looked at the suggested speed, it was fast enough. I attempted to shoot, but as of precautionary measures I had corked(?) the naxt frame. I did it and pressed the shutter with happiness, the seagull was still there, his yellow "nose" shining like gold. But there was no sound, had the batteries died out suddenly? - no way I was sure it was not that, so I brought the camera for a closer inspection. "Flap" I heard the mirror closing, so it had opened I thought.... hmmm Smile it's not that bad that, eh?

I did have my mind operating in the means of X300 where lightmeter presents you both the set and the suggested timings. X700 which I bought second hand displays only the suggested speed, not the set timings. No surprise the mirror took ages to close it was set to 1sec.

The seagull flew away gracefully. Thankfully he didn't soil anyone. Can't ask for more can you? Smile

dwilkin
dwilkin e2 Member 724249 forum postsdwilkin vcard United Kingdom
5 Apr 2013 - 1:53 PM

Got a rather lovely vintage Zeiss Super Ikonta BX last week (model number 533/16, for anyone who collects them). Unfortunately, it seems that the rangefinder is slightly out of true, as every shot from the test film I ran through it is slightly out of focus. The uncoupled selenium meter is working perfectly, however, as all the blurs were properly exposed!

If I can get the finder recalibrated, this one is going to be a stunning piece of kit!

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2013 - 8:06 PM

It seems that there are these commanding a high price Super Ikonta

Last Modified By KenTaylor at 5 Apr 2013 - 8:09 PM
dwilkin
5 Apr 2013 - 8:28 PM

The lens dates to 1934, the camera was introduced in the mid-30's, and it was probably top of the range at the time. Lovely looking bit of kit, too - although a bit out of my price range ATM...

pablophotographer

I shot 1 frame indoors and 1 outdoors yesterday.

pentaxpete
11 Apr 2013 - 11:51 AM

On Sunday went to the Science Museum and Madam Tussauds with my 'Free Gift' Pentax MZ-5 loaded with some outdated Fuji Reala 100 my boy and I were kindly GIVEN by a lady here on EPZ -- finished up the film last night on my Birthday and put it on for processing by SigFoto Lab today -- should be ready tomorrow !!

pablophotographer

happy birthday Pete

dwilkin
16 Apr 2013 - 2:53 PM

Just been shooting at St Pauls Cathedral with a Pentax K1000 and a roll of Lomography Earl Grey mono film. Looking forward to seeing how that comes out...

pentaxpete
17 Apr 2013 - 7:27 PM

Thanks for Birthday Wishes -- getting Older -- I got my FREE TV Licence LAST YEAR ! ( PS my Snaps came out well ! ) mz-5-01.jpg
Mummy in Science Museum.
mz-5-11.jpg
Henry VIIIth in Madam Tussauds

pablophotographer

I shot a few frames today, I am very close to finishing the roll!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.