Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where are cameras going?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AlanWillis
    AlanWillis e2 Member 566 forum postsAlanWillis vcard England
    20 Sep 2012 - 12:48 PM

Full Frame seems to be the trend. Full frame are even now in compact cameras. Full frame gives more light to the sensors, and a high image quality. New for under 2,000 Full frame are Canon 6D: 20.2 MP. And Wi-Fi. Not the 1D4 focusing ability and only 4.5 FPS, and then the Nikon D600 24.3 MP. 5.5 FPS. Moving up above the 2,000 price range, we have the Nikon D800 and the Canon 5D mk3, and the new arrival the Sony A99. I like most mature photographers would be content with any of these three, as the brand of camera has less effect than the photographer. Due to my association with Sony I have the A99 coming on the 1st November. This will replace my 1.5 crop A77. The only down side is, I will give up 12FPS for six at full res or 10 at reduced res. The full frame will also bring my lenses back down to earth, reducing the Telephoto and increasing the wide angles.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Sep 2012 - 12:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139506 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 1:33 PM

Quote: Full Frame seems to be the trend

Really? More like the "Last Hurrah" I would have thought. Wink

But in a way you may be right. The days of the APS-C DSLR could be numbered - to be replaced by CSCs. The days of the compact may be numbered - to be replaced by high-res camera phones.

Perhaps FF will continue to fill a niche for full-blown pro cameras (Nikon D4, Canon 1D X etc).

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:00 PM

Is part of the emphasis on FF due to the concept (partly erroneous.) that a larger format = better resolution?

In the film era this was mainly true, larger formats more film grains (pixels) per frame hence sharper images, and if you wanted to boost the definition you could use a lower ISO film, smaller grains = more/frame, also the inherent higher contrast of slow films was an added bonus as it could give an apparent increase in visual sharpness.

Digital doesn't work that way, 24mp is 24mp period, whatever the format, and there isn't much that you can do about it.
    Some clever (expensive) software may do an interpolation job, but it can't put back what wasn't there.
    Noise isn't a major problem (@

Last Modified By macroman at 20 Sep 2012 - 2:08 PM
    macroman
    20 Sep 2012 - 2:11 PM

A large lump of my last post would not upload for some reason, here it is, hope it makes more sense now.... Sad

..........Noise isn't a major problem, at 800 ISO or less, unless you are into low light photography, or work that requires short exposures, small apertures and high ISOs, but then that was always a problem with film too.
    A few years ago 24mp FF would have been remarkable, when the average cropped digi was around 8-14mp, but the gap has closed, IQ has improved greatly, so why this preoccupation with FF?
    It's an old format, which happened by 'accident' anyway, so get up to date and take advantage of progress?

Why carry a bulky FF with a correspondingly bulky (heavy) lens when you can have a nice lightweight 4/3 camera/lens combo?

I wonder if in ten years time FF will go the way of 35mm film, (OK. I know 35mm still has it's followers Smile ).

Last Modified By macroman at 20 Sep 2012 - 2:26 PM
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53653 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 3:23 PM

Re: Where are cameras going?

As above i think FF and larger sensors are just for photographers looking for that last few percent of potential equipment improvement, all modern camera's are pretty damm good and this means that to differentiate themselves the upper end of the market needs to keep moving up.

Wasn't the statistic that 50% of the UK regularly use a camera/camera phone now and its becoming far more a part of life than it ever used to. So where do the people go with equipment who want to actually call themselves photographer's and differentiate themselves - FF, Quirky street camera's, Pin hole, clever use of older camera's/lenses. Turning up to a wedding with a CSC and looking like a guest is perhaps not the image you want to portray!

I still want FF, but it won't make be a better photographer. It will just be a tool that in the right circumstances may help produce a better image.

Where ever camera's are going i'm reminded that at least 2 people i really admire on here consistently shoot totally excellent images on camera's no better than mine. So the question for me becomes - how are you going to improve to produce better images?

Stillbase
    Stillbase  361 forum posts Wales
    20 Sep 2012 - 4:55 PM

Forgive me for writing this again, but I find it increasingly difficult to understand why people should continue to want "bigger and better" (and by implication, more expensive) cameras and lenses. Do they think that by going to full frame they will take "better" pictures? Don't they realise that after "full frame" will come the next sensor size (is it called medium format?), then after that "large format", then "huge format or whatever" and so on ad finitum as technology makes these things available at a higher and higher price. And the manufacturers will rub their hands with glee and continue to feed us gullible photographers with equipment we don't really need. I have recently read on another photo website that "I have had my camera for 12 months and now feel I have outgrown it!!!" Hmmmm! I'm old enough to accept that technology will move at a faster and faster pace, but am able to step back and think "will it help me", and the answer I come up with more and more is "no it won't" - if the photos aren't as I want them, the fault is with me not the equipment. All we need to do is to be honest with ourselves, and that costs nothing.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315494 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 6:54 PM

Quote: Where are cameras going

Cheap compacts, Olympus might stop making them, others could follow, mobile phones have taken over here.

Prosumer and CSC markets expanding with quality to match that of crop frame dslr`s so there could be a large decline in APS=C camera`s with full frame replacing with a price to match.

Full frame, give it two or three years and most hobbyist will be using these in place of Crop frame dslrs, Aps-c will be the entry level dslr of the future.

Canon will probably be the first to produce a basic full frame body for less than 1000, give it two or three years.

And I`m talking a load of crap Smile Smile

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315494 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Sep 2012 - 6:55 PM

Lol and I`ve been caught out again and joined yet another pointless group Sad

macroman
    21 Sep 2012 - 3:46 PM

Ditto. Smile

I'm beginning to hate Kingfishers, shoot the beggars. Grin Grin

Scottelly
    Scottelly  235 forum posts United States
    17 Oct 2012 - 4:24 PM

Well, all I can say is that as technology progresses, I find that I have more flexibility as a photographer, and that my images are finer in their detail and coloring. Now that I shoot raw I can truly say that some of my work has improved. Most of my favorite photos look just fine out of the camera, and the jpegs need no adjustment, but some of my favorite photos needed adjustment, and that adjustment looks better than it would have, if I had been shooting in jpeg mode only. Another thing that has help is the fold-out screen. My Sony R1 allowed me to do things I couldn't do with my Canon 20 D. My Sony A55 allows me to do things that I couldn't do with my R1. So technology has improved my photos. More lenses allow a photographer more flexibility too. I can shoot interiors much better with my 10-24mm lens than I could with my 18-55mm kit lens. I can shoot close-ups of things much better with my 30mm macro than I could with my 18-55mm kit lens. Is this technology? Well, maybe not, because macro photography has been around for a long time, but the fact that I can shoot bees going in and out of flowers with my macro lens at 10 frames per second makes a big difference to me! And not only can I do that, but I can do it at 1/500 second, because I can set my camera to ISO 800 and get acceptable 16 megapixel photos, because of the new technology. Those are things I could never do with my Sony R1 or any of the other cameras I have ever used.

So in my opinion, YES technology had improved my photography, and it will continue to improve my photography.

But where are cameras going? 100 megapixels. Eventually we will have APS-C sensor cameras that are 100 megapixels. We already have one that is 46 megapixels (at least that is what Sigma claims). I can see that doubling in a couple of years, and not far behind that will be the new crop of 100 megapixel camera. The Sigma SD1 has only been on the market for about a year, and they are already putting its sensor in point-and-shoot cameras!

I also see more speed and better video on the horizon. We will see super-advanced, 4K video creep into the low-end camera in a few years, with 1080p60 as a standard in almost all digital cameras. Some cameras will have 1080p120 and faster capabilities, for creating amazing slow motion videos. Still photo shooting will get faster too. Already the new Canon SX50 bridge camera and others can shoot full resolution photos (12 megapixels) at faster than A77 speeds! (13 fps) We will see 20 fps cameras that are 30 megapixels or more in the near future (a year or two). There will be more bells and whistles. Networking will be big. You will be able to control your camera and see previews in video quality, using your smart phone as a trigger and controler. You will be able to zoom, and make exposure adjustments from a remote location, and eventually you will even be able to control the angle of view somewhat (maybe even completely, using an inexpensive, remote-controlled, motorized tripod head).

One day cameras will be able to fly. They will follow you around and shoot photos of you and your friends/family, and they will do it based on the photos you like. Not only will they shoot high resolution photos, but they will be shooting video too. They may be called surveillance drones, rather than cameras, but essentially they will be what we replace our cameras with in the future. Of course, we will be able to use our own eyes for shooting photos too, with our embedded com chip, which will be constantly connected to the internet via our own quantum communicator, which we keep at home, monitoring our vitals and recording our experiences on our multi-petabyte solid-state hard drives. Yes, we will still have home computers, but they will not quite resemble what we have today. All those technologies are years away (maybe decades), but in the near future, we will see some truly amazing things happen in the world of cameras and lenses.

Just look at the Lytro light-field camera for an example of how quickly technology can develop! http://www.plenoptic.org

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.