Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where are they?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
27 Dec 2009 - 8:35 PM

Don't know if anyone else has noticed and that I'm not tempting providence but since the so-called credit crunch took hold there's been a distinct absence of speed traps. I'm referring to those particularly nasty ones where they park a van in a lay-by with the rear doors open and proceed to fill the treasury (or is it council?) coffers at a rate of knots. Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Dec 2009 - 8:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NexusImages
NexusImages e2 Member 71844 forum postsNexusImages vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2009 - 8:39 PM

Come to the Wirral.. that's where they all must be hiding (or not). Spotted one the other day that was parked at the top of a T juntion, presumably so that they can identify 'speeders' on both roads at once... now that's lateral thinking for ya'.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85862 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2009 - 8:44 PM

perhaps the ones you refer to, are no a tad more subtle in their method of trapment Smile

From visual experience, I know the ones in Leicestershire are.

woodlark
woodlark e2 Member 10522 forum postswoodlark vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2009 - 8:54 PM

If you aint seen em Jon maybe their camouflage is getting better.
Derbyshire police seem to be out all the time.

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
27 Dec 2009 - 9:07 PM

Ha! Well, that's put my theory to bed. I was convinced that with an election looming and the credit crunch, the government had called a halt to ease the suffering and in a perverse way try to make folk happier. Watch me get caught now! Grin

NexusImages
NexusImages e2 Member 71844 forum postsNexusImages vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2009 - 9:15 PM

Don't speed, then you won't get caught Wink.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
27 Dec 2009 - 9:17 PM

Quote: I was convinced that with an election looming and the credit crunch, the government had called a halt to ease the suffering and in a perverse way try to make folk happier

yea...like they give a s**t.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
27 Dec 2009 - 9:21 PM

Quote: Don't speed, then you won't get caught

True....done 50 years and never a fine or a point on my licence.

....now if that's not tempting fate....LOL

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
27 Dec 2009 - 10:20 PM

Quote: ....now if that's not tempting fate....LOL

See you in court, Mike Wink

p.s. touch wood, touch wood! Grin

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51174 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2009 - 10:27 PM

Just watch the latest speed warnings on the TV. The images of that dead child are chilling!!!! The consequencies of speeding are either a fine if you are lucky or an accident if you are not! We seem to think that we have a right to flout the law. If you are speeding and get caught then tough! Drive to the recommended limit and keep a safe distance and the chance of killing yourself or someone else is minimal.

cmawson
cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Dec 2009 - 11:27 PM

@MikeRC, that's what I thought, 33 years, not even a pull by the boys (or gals) in blue in that time.

Then what happens, I got pulled over here in the US on an interstate, 80 in a 65 limit & only a couple of months after getting my Virginia state drivers license. Got points & fairly hefty fine for my lapse. Mind you, the cop that did me was very polite, even being very apologetic for having pulled me over, & as it was my first offense, I wasn't charged for reckless driving. But, now I'm much more cautious. The state troopers have a tendency to hide within in the wide medians on the interstates, so they can't be seen until they pull out behind, with all 15 or so lights flashing!

So, the moral is never tempt fate. Lol.

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71139 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
27 Dec 2009 - 11:40 PM

My 1st offence in 30+ years, speeding a month ago, 60 plus 3 points (cos nobody knew where the speed awareness prog was being held to avoid points) ... kinda harsh when this a@@@@@@e gets off as light as can be

canon_stu
canon_stu  11140 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2009 - 1:53 AM

This year, after 22 yrs of having a clean licence I got a "notice of intended prosecution" for doing 34 mph in a 30 zone leaving a built up area at 10-45 am on a sunday morning about 60 yds before it hits a national speed limit and joining the A1 motorway. On the image's they provided on the net there were no other cars or pedestrians anywhere near at the time. Where is the danger there?? Luckily enough i got to go on a speed awareness course where a politically correct weed in a suit tries to tell you a shadow is a hazard and a deer might also jump out of a road while you are having a leisurely sunday drive out and to mend your ways of driving at 4 mph over the limit while charging you 70 pounds for the pleasure. Obviously all these speeding offences add to the detection rate and statistics that say the police are efficient while obviously the do nothing but sit in top of the range fancy bmw's and volvo's while too lazy to get off their bots and catch real criminals which us the motorist now come under the blanket of unfortunately!! Another nail in the uk's coffin unfortunately

Last Modified By canon_stu at 28 Dec 2009 - 1:56 AM
User_Removed
28 Dec 2009 - 8:45 AM

If you have never done it, the next time you drive give a running commentary. Say everything you see and what you are thinking, why you are doing what you are doing, changing gear etc. It will slow you down. When you can do this on an A road at 100 mph then you will be a lot safer.

I drive to fast I know, but i just love it. I can give a commentary at 100+ on an A road and have had a Police driving instructor look me in the eye and say "excellent drive". I am not a cop.

I learnt to drive in the US and have done several advantaged courses as part of my work over there.

I haven't been caught speeding in over 20 years nor have I had an accident in the same period.

But, back to the OP, we have a regular speed trap on the road to work. He stands there with all thing a radar gun, not seen one for years. He points it at the queue of traffic doing about 15 miles and hour! Pointless, yes.

NexusImages
28 Dec 2009 - 10:30 AM

Quote: Pointless, yes

hmm.. really. Statistics have to come from somewhere. If that force wants their stats to say that they have no problem with speeding on that road, then there is their proof. Generally, all things are done for a reason.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.