Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where are we heading?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102255 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2011 - 4:16 PM

Quote: You decry the tabloid system but it does work pretty well in uncovering sleaze: at least they check their sources (most of the time) and, after all, where do the internet campaigns get their impetus? The internet is far too unregulated with all sorts of libel being propgated as urban myth. Personally I would prefer to get the basis of my fact from the press.

I think you're too kind to the tabloid press. The mainstream media, and not just the tabloid media, are funded by advertising and of course the BBC is largely accountable to the government of the day and the establishment.
So really, I see little reason to have any more faith in the mainstream media than in the internet. However, while the internet is the source of many truths and downright lies, the mainstream media is full of half-truths, omissions, downright lies. I think the only difference is that if you know were to look, the internet actually tells the unvarnished truth somewhere in "cyberspace". The trick is knowing where to look or how sort the truth from lies and distortions.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Oct 2011 - 4:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
17 Oct 2011 - 5:20 PM

tabloids = rupert murdoch sun, mail = easy news = hacking (the ex new toy), twisting the truth, down right lying, reporters oly tell what they want, you dont get a balanced view, needles to say I havent bought one since they hounded the son of friend (a well known personality) till he did for himself. about 25 years?

they only uncover the sleaze they want, they will crucify anyone that gets arsey with them no?

wellinton was unpopular at times yes, BUT should our politicians replicate that? I cant honestly say in my life time I had any respect for any politician one thing is guaranteed is they will let you down!

an aside: whilst supporting a local councillor (he was a plank but said he would raise a question for me about council waste) I attended the meeting with all the bewigged lawyers etc. and instead of doing what was needed they copied westminster, even more sarcastic than me (surely not allowed?) I walked out I stood up and said "I was going, sorry to leave mid argument BUT this was more like a zoo than a place where the business of 100,000 plus people was done" BUT my dippy councillor was the last mayor!

thewilliam
17 Oct 2011 - 5:25 PM

The red-top (formerly tabloid) press has carefully crafted a product that the majority of punters will choose to buy. They all need a single-degit reading-age and are aimed at an intellectual level to match.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.