Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where can I buy frames?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul65  6258 forum posts England
19 Oct 2008 - 8:01 PM

I'm turning a room at home into a kind of gallery. Nothing too flash but somewhere I can display my best photographs. I want to mount them in something that'll look good so I would appreciate any ideas where I can buy suitable mounts or frames. A shop or a web site would be good so I can look at what's on offer and how much it's gonna cost.
Oh, the colour needs to be primarely black ( to go with the Wife's decor)!
Thanks for any advice you can give.


Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Oct 2008 - 8:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Oct 2008 - 8:08 PM

A contract framer will produce the best quality for the lowest cost .. get your yellow pages out and phone around. If you want to go cheaper then I beleive Tesco do a range of black frames as do the likes of Ikea.


KBan  9457 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2008 - 8:15 PM

try Wilkinsons , i get my black frames there.

19 Oct 2008 - 8:18 PM

Ikea Wink

Paul65  6258 forum posts England
19 Oct 2008 - 8:24 PM

Forget to mention. Looking at max size of A3.

Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 - 8:24 PM

I'd second Wilkinson's, quite a range in the larger stores, quality isn't brilliant on the very cheap ranges, avoid those, but the slightly higher priced ones seem ok.

Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 - 8:25 PM

Have a look at the picture gallery a good range of frames, made to measure at reasonable prices. I've used them for mounts in the past, very good service and quick turnaround.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
19 Oct 2008 - 9:59 PM

For mounts, some of our camera club are going to try Cotswold Mounts, as their prices seem pretty reasonable, but you have to buy in "bulk".

19 Oct 2008 - 10:10 PM

A local framer will be able to give advice on the best choice of moulding and mounts to make a much better presentation of your images than off the shelf alternatives.

lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014126 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2008 - 10:14 PM

Quote: I'm turning a room at home into a kind of gallery.

That's not tryingWink We've got the whole house plastered in my photos & lobstergirl's paintings Smile

Possum  7148 forum posts England
19 Oct 2008 - 11:55 PM

Would second Cotswold Mounts for mounts (unsurprisingly lol!). Have also bought frames from Wilkinson's, but you'd be best going to a local framer, as they can usually cut you a deal if you're buying lots and will be happy to supply frames that are outside an 'ordinary' size.


Try hobbycraft they have a vast range of frames as well as mounts


oldyfella  6
20 Oct 2008 - 6:15 AM

I have always made my frames. The initial outlay is a bit expensive, but the satisfaction is great. Oldy worldy to modern The choice is yours.

StrayCat e2 Member 1014648 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2008 - 6:35 AM

I go to garage sales at the weekend and get them for next to nothing, and touch them up. I've gotten some really great frames that way, that must have been very expensive in the beginning..........but where can I find some photos to put in them?

Actually, my problem is the wife takes them, puts the grandchildren's photos in them, and sends them off to relatives.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 20 Oct 2008 - 6:41 AM
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Oct 2008 - 7:37 AM

Yep wilkinsons for me. I go in periodically and buy up as many of certain styles as I can.

U cut my own mounts.

I couldn't afford to buy a proper mount cutter with bed so used a thisk piece of worksurface and a long aluminium ruler from Screwfix. Holes in the work surface and wing nuts to clamp the ruler against the mount. A sharp Stanley knife for straight cuts and a cheap mount cutter for the actual cut out. Works a treat.

Last Modified By Graywolf at 20 Oct 2008 - 7:41 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.