Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Where can I buy frames?

Paul65 e2
6 258 England
19 Oct 2008 8:01PM
I'm turning a room at home into a kind of gallery. Nothing too flash but somewhere I can display my best photographs. I want to mount them in something that'll look good so I would appreciate any ideas where I can buy suitable mounts or frames. A shop or a web site would be good so I can look at what's on offer and how much it's gonna cost.
Oh, the colour needs to be primarely black ( to go with the Wife's decor)!
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Paul

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas e2
9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 8:08PM
A contract framer will produce the best quality for the lowest cost .. get your yellow pages out and phone around. If you want to go cheaper then I beleive Tesco do a range of black frames as do the likes of Ikea.

Dan
KBan e2
9 468 4 England
19 Oct 2008 8:15PM
try Wilkinsons , i get my black frames there.
keith
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 8:18PM
Ikea Wink
Paul65 e2
6 258 England
19 Oct 2008 8:24PM
Forget to mention. Looking at max size of A3.
Hugo e2
9 647 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 8:24PM
I'd second Wilkinson's, quite a range in the larger stores, quality isn't brilliant on the very cheap ranges, avoid those, but the slightly higher priced ones seem ok.
Martin54 e2
8 509 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 8:25PM
Have a look at the picture gallery a good range of frames, made to measure at reasonable prices. I've used them for mounts in the past, very good service and quick turnaround.
Martin
Big Bri e2
13 15.7k United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 9:59PM
For mounts, some of our camera club are going to try Cotswold Mounts , as their prices seem pretty reasonable, but you have to buy in "bulk".
19 Oct 2008 10:10PM
A local framer will be able to give advice on the best choice of moulding and mounts to make a much better presentation of your images than off the shelf alternatives.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
19 Oct 2008 10:14PM

Quote:I'm turning a room at home into a kind of gallery.

That's not tryingWink We've got the whole house plastered in my photos & lobstergirl's paintings Smile
Possum e2
8 148 England
19 Oct 2008 11:55PM
Would second Cotswold Mounts for mounts (unsurprisingly lol!). Have also bought frames from Wilkinson's, but you'd be best going to a local framer, as they can usually cut you a deal if you're buying lots and will be happy to supply frames that are outside an 'ordinary' size.
Try hobbycraft they have a vast range of frames as well as mounts

Iain
20 Oct 2008 6:15AM
I have always made my frames. The initial outlay is a bit expensive, but the satisfaction is great. Oldy worldy to modern The choice is yours.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
20 Oct 2008 6:35AM
I go to garage sales at the weekend and get them for next to nothing, and touch them up. I've gotten some really great frames that way, that must have been very expensive in the beginning..........but where can I find some photos to put in them?

Actually, my problem is the wife takes them, puts the grandchildren's photos in them, and sends them off to relatives.
Graywolf e2
7 999 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2008 7:37AM
Yep wilkinsons for me. I go in periodically and buy up as many of certain styles as I can.

U cut my own mounts.

I couldn't afford to buy a proper mount cutter with bed so used a thisk piece of worksurface and a long aluminium ruler from Screwfix. Holes in the work surface and wing nuts to clamp the ruler against the mount. A sharp Stanley knife for straight cuts and a cheap mount cutter for the actual cut out. Works a treat.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.