Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Where Can I Get a Converted Infrared Camera?

Sassie 7 189 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2009 10:20AM
Hi, Does anyone know where (in the UK) I can get a camera which has been converted to infrared (that will allow me to create those pale pastel-like colours as well as b+w)? Obviously at reasonable price if poss.

A converted Canon DSLR would be ideal (for lens I have) but would consider anything else that people recommend.

I don't have a spare body, and having thought about the R72 filter option, have decided against it because weather conditions are too windy where I am to allow the long exposures.

Cheers!
Sassie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andart 12 491 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2009 11:02AM
advancedcameraservices.co.uk can convert a dslr to infrared or supply a ready converted body.
I dont know what a converted body costs but to convert something like a 350d is 287.50 (ouch!).
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2009 11:12AM
I like the lovely show shutter speeds and the way the sky gets motion blur with the Kood IR filter I use, and it was 30 for 77mm so relatively low cost if I get bored.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
4 Mar 2009 11:26AM
Sometimes you can find an already converted camera on eBay. There are two auctions running at the moment - a Canon G6 and a Fuji Finepix S9000. Search for "converted camera infrared".
4 Mar 2009 12:04PM
Hmmmm, think I'll keep an eye on ebay, which is what I'm already doing. I'm tempted to buy an R72 but am concerned I'll be frustrated and disappointed. Not sure if too much motion blur is my style infrared.....have been eyeing up so brilliant images - hence the lust!
4 Mar 2009 12:29PM
Check out the Sigma SD14 - never tried this, but apparently if you remove the rear dust filter, it becomes an infra-red camera. If you wander around various forums you'll come across this feature. Right now you can get the last remaining models for the 400 mark (body only) - it's just been superseded by the SD15 (bigger screen, faster processing) - 1000. Google search Sigma SD14 Infrared - and I'm sure you'll come up with something.
4 Mar 2009 12:49PM
Hi - quick update - I actually think there is some sort of compatability with the Sigma SLR body and Canon lenses. Seem to remember a You Tube video on this topic - might be worth checking out
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Mar 2009 1:32PM

Quote:Sometimes you can find an already converted camera on eBay. There are two auctions running at the moment - a Canon G6 and a Fuji Finepix S9000. Search for "converted camera infrared"

Not all dslr`s need converting Smile

Quote:Check out the Sigma SD14 - never tried this, but apparently if you remove the rear dust filter, it becomes an infra-red camera

Rear dust filter ? , it sits in front of the mirror Smile

Get yourself one of these and do this

Would not mind having one myself but feeling the pinch at the moment Sad
4 Mar 2009 3:58PM
OK - thanks Paul - it's a "forward" dust filter.

Frankly amazed at how inexpensive the SD14 is - possibly the least expensive pro-camera around, albeit one with schizophrenia. Didn't realise it had gone UNDER the 400 mark. Can't be many left. Personally I think it's a great camera.

Also - on the subject of Canon lenses with Sigma bodies - it would seem you need to access an industrial milling machine to make the conversion. However, you can get a superb quality Sigma 50mm macro for 150 or so, or even the standard 18-55 zoom for 60(?).

Perhaps you could get a used SD14 complete with standard zoom on Ebay. Use it RAW - not internal Jpegs, especially in tricky lighting- and use the supplied software to process. You can download the latest version from Sigma. Same with the firmware, where they're up to version 1.08 (or whatever) - using this, the j-pegs are actually OK for "normal" (non tricky) photo's
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2009 5:27PM
Is the SD14 a "pro" camera. I thought it was at same market point as a 40D or D90 for example.
4 Mar 2009 5:52PM
Perhaps I'll wait a while, perhaps I'll resort to the R72. The cost of the SD14 is probably similar to what I'd pay for a modified camera from Advanced Camera Services.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Sassie
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Mar 2009 6:18PM

Quote:Is the SD14 a "pro" camera. I thought it was at same market point as a 40D or D90 for example

No not pro spec, more entry level by today`s standards.

Pretty much more than enough for IR, not as if your going to be shooting five frames a second.

I believe it has quite a nice sensor mind Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
4 Mar 2009 6:52PM
The D70 is a popular camera for conversion to IR. I have read in magazines of many pros using it.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Mar 2009 7:05PM
Its also one of the better dslr`s unconverted for IR Smile
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
4 Mar 2009 7:16PM
here is one

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.