Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where can i sell my Mamiya RB67

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gavrelle
    gavrelle  231 forum posts England
    26 Oct 2012 - 10:42 PM

Dear all,
    Time for me to clear out, I have a Mamiya RB67pro with a couple of lenses, backs and prism. any idea which dealers are reasonable when it comes to secondhand sales or any other bright ideas where i can sell??

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Oct 2012 - 10:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139450 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2012 - 10:47 PM

You could try the classifieds on here. Smile

thewilliam
    26 Oct 2012 - 11:38 PM

If it's in good condition, try Ffordes. They either buy outright or sell on commission.

Snapper
    Snapper  93752 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2012 - 12:31 AM

I'd certainly agree about Ffordes and they sell at 20% commission so you can check their website for current prices and work out what you are likely to get. Condition is everything for this type of gear and clear signs of pro use are likely to lead to disappointing prices.

paulcookphotography

Unless you sell privately, i would say Ffordes too. I have bought and sold through them and they are very fair, knowledgeable and helpfull

Overread
    Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2012 - 4:55 PM

As said, if you trade to a shop you will get less money since the shop also has to make a profit with the sale themselves. You can always sell on the Classfields here, locally (camera clubs) or on ebay. Selling privately can net you more money for your gear (even if you pay ebay and paypal fees), but you've the backlash that it can take a little longer to make the sale (depends on the gear and the condition and how and where you sell - ebay is normally fairly reliable to sell on for speed, though remember for high priced items do consider setting a reserve price).

gavrelle
    27 Oct 2012 - 6:47 PM

Thank you for the opinions chaps.

User_Removed
    27 Oct 2012 - 8:56 PM

Frankly, no dealer is going to give you anything like the value that you might get selling privately on eBay (or maybe through ePz classifieds).

Before a dealer will give you 200 for your kit, he needs to be sure that he can advertise it for sale at 600 with a view to getting 400. That kit would probably get 500 on eBay.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Oct 2012 - 9:30 AM

Depends also on where you live.

Do you have any smaller camera shops that sell secondhand near you? Many will now sell for commission or buy outright if it's something they think will sell well, and you have a complete kit which is better than odd items. The problem with bigger companies is that they often offer less money and don't negotiate. They will also deal based on the equipment being over-described rather than under, as a lot of people have no idea of grading. We have a joke among my friends, about stuff that is "ebay mint," which as you can probably guess, isn't!
    Plus you have to add on post and packing, which with a lump like an RB might be considerable when you add lots of padding. You need to check dealers' classifieds and work out how much (realistically) you think it's worth, and how much you want for it, then you will be in a better place to know whether you are being ripped off.

Nick

User_Removed
    28 Oct 2012 - 1:48 PM

Quote: You need to check dealers' classifieds and work out how much (realistically) you think it's worth,

Nick

....but remember that no-one ever pays a dealer's advertised price. They price them expecting to be "haggled" down by a fair margin. A secondhand camera, as I alluded above, advertised by a dealer at 600 might be sold by him for 400.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Oct 2012 - 2:06 PM

I once acquired a 135 Bronica back from eBay and sold it for a profit with Ffordes. Dealers don't always lead to a world of pain! I used to love Ffordes - previously they were based in Essex. Never seen a camera shop window so completely rammed with gear.

gavrelle
    28 Oct 2012 - 5:29 PM

I will drop Ffordes a line first i think see what happens, trouble with ebay is dealing with people!!!. One real reason for the question is that i contacted a big name in second hand camera and asked for an estimate for buying a Nikon Lens and my Bronica kit off of me. I was given a quote. I was happy with it, sent the gear off. First they claimed that the battery in the Brony didn t work, whaich was wrong, it took the 5 weeks to get another ( took me 10 minutes in Jessops), then procedded to offer me a 3rd of what waas quoted. Needless to say I will never be dealing with those sharks again. So i will give Ffordes a go.

Hugo
    Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Oct 2012 - 6:24 PM

Avoid ebay - too many idiots.
    Sold a bit of kit over the last few years - last two items I sold both came back - buyers said they were unhappy, and that lenses were soft - eBya/Paypal will always side with the buyer, so you have to give them back their cash - hassle and expense for you - plus when lenses came back they were both of course ok. Ironically the Canon 17-55 had been calibrated by Canon - was super sharp. Sent stuff to MPB - they take a bit more % than eBay -but no faffing around taking photos, queuing at post office, dealing with idiots etc.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.