Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where to find a Gitzo

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Tony_M
    Tony_M  10342 forum posts England
    8 Sep 2005 - 3:16 PM

I'm interested in trying out a Gitzo Explorer tripod before deciding whether to buy it, and with what head. Trouble is, although I can find plenty of online retailers, I haven't yet found a high street store that has one I can play with.

I live near Oxford though I'm prepared to travel a reasonable distance for this significant purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Sep 2005 - 3:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PSILVERMAN
    PSILVERMAN  101253 forum posts England
    8 Sep 2005 - 9:11 PM

Go into your local Jessops and ask them to get you one in as you want to buy one.Then when they have and if you like it ask them to price match it,if they don't then buy online!Simple.
    That's what I did with my Manfrotto and they beat Warehouse Express's price.
    Good luck,
    Phil.

shaun
    shaun  11368 forum posts England
    8 Sep 2005 - 11:16 PM

Tony,

With regards to heads, the off-centre ball head (G1276M) makes a great companion to an Explorer. With that combination you can point your lens in any direction you choose (and several you probably wouldn't!). I'ts quite sturdy enough for all but the heaviest of gear (say up to body & 300 f4 lens).

Good luck in trying to find somewhere that stocks them (could try one of the Calumet shops in London, they say they stock Gitzo).

Shaun

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96343 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Sep 2005 - 11:26 PM

Your question is a good one - it is indicative of the times and really frustating, I had this problem a few years ago and ended up delaying my purchase until "Focus - on - Imaging" at the NEC in Birmingham in February.

Gitzo tripods were on the Hassleblad stand and their representative was very understanding at my setting up of various tripods and answered some questions. I suppose it helped being a relatively quiet Tuesday as opposed to the packed Sunday.

Having decided I rang a retailer from there and it arrived before 8:30 the next day.

There are a couple of places in London - but that is probably a bit too far for you.

phil beale
    phil beale  111502 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Sep 2005 - 11:36 PM

I own one with the off-centre head i promise you you will not be disappointed. I my honest opinion it's not worth paying the extra for the carbon fibre version. I'm sure someone on here bougth one recently at a really good price (try a search you might find the shop)

Phil

I live in Andover if you want to play with mine

Tripod that is

Tony_M
    8 Sep 2005 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wary of asking a store to order one in, as in the past I've had the "we'll order it, but you have to buy it" response. I know they can't MAKE me buy it, but I'd rather avoid being pressured by salespeople. However I might try with my local T4 store where I'm building a good relationship.

As for the head, I was considering the off-centre ball heads mentioned above. Any thoughts on how they compare in-use to Manfrotto's 322 joystick?

phil beale
    phil beale  111502 forum posts United Kingdom
    9 Sep 2005 - 1:02 AM

Off-centre is a must this will get you're camera into positions that other heads won't allow. I did buy the tripod first and tried using it with my old manfrotto head but soon bought the Gitzo off-centre. They do 2 different size heads i got the biggest not sure of the number. I use my 100-400IS lens on it (QR plate on the lens) and works well.

Phil

Tony_M
    9 Sep 2005 - 3:26 AM

Quote: Go into your local Jessops and ask them to get you one in as you want to buy one.Then when they have and if you like it ask them to price match it,if they don't then buy online!

Just checked online, and Jessops actually come out cheaper than EPZ shop and Speedgraphic. However they do want a 25% deposit for the ball head as it's not in stock, and the nearest tripod is in Leicester!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.