Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Where to get a Tamron lens repaired

cymroDan 7 174
7 Aug 2012 3:21PM
Hi all, when in N.Ireland for a friends wedding, I adventured the grounds a bit to get a good sunrise picture and fell through the drain cover. My camera lens smashed infront of the brick infront of the hole, and my Tamron 10-24mm lens is now damage. The glass itself (to the eye) looks undamaged, but the filter ring is missing a chunk now, and more importantly the underside of barrel has a crack going down through it (the plastic under the zoom ring). I can get pictures up if anyones interested. The lens still functions, but the autofocus on the lens sounds a bit knackered, and I'm worried stray light is going to now come up through the underside crack. It still functions (which I'm glad of), but it may be suffering from many faults - and more definetely it has lost it's resale value - which is quite important to me as if I upgraded I could have gotten 200 for it on ebay.

The hotel have offered to get it repaired for me. They said to send it to them and they'd get ir repaired. As they are in Northern Ireland, I asked if they would mind if I tried getting it repaired here to save on postage / time delay, and she said she would check on it and I'm welcome to try get a quote in the mean time.

So my question is, where would I be able to get this sort of quote on a lens repair? Also, I'm open to any feedback regarding the significance of the damage to the lens. Thanks for your time, as always!

Dan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
7 Aug 2012 3:34PM
Intro2020 are the official Tamron suppliers for the UK and they offer a repair service according to their website. They might be your first port of call. I've never had anything repaired so can't vouch for service etc.

How long have you had the lens and does it have any kind of warranty left? Seem to recall some Tamron lenses have 5 years???
cymroDan 7 174
7 Aug 2012 4:01PM
But warranty won't cover accidental damage, will it?

Thanks for the info on Intro 2020, I've looked into it and gave them a call. They said they could only do a quote if I was to send it to them, which is fair enough. She also listed a bunch of charges, 40-50 per hour labour, plus any spares or parts and vat, and return posting. So I'm going to go for the easier route, and send it to the Hotel in Northern Ireland and let them sort it out. Saves me being the middle man at least - and its under 7 to be tracked, insured and next day delivered.
Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
7 Aug 2012 4:14PM
Sorry, no it won't cover accidental damage if it's under warranty. Wasn't really thinking straight there!

At least Intro2020 gave you a rough idea of pricing etc. I don't suppose stripping down a lens would be a quick ordeal either so those labour charges would soon mount up.

Did the hotel offer to pay for the repair too? That's very good of them if they do. Maybe they are getting it covered under some kind of event insurance maybe? I would definitely take up their offer if that's the case, even if the lens has to go on a bit of a journey over the Irish Sea, it seems to be the cheapest option available.
cymroDan 7 174
7 Aug 2012 5:25PM
I just have a bad feeling that they'll take it somewhere "local" to get it fixed, who'll just glue it together or something Grin

On the plus side, none of the glass appears to be damaged, but then - that's not really my issue if the hotel are offering to pay for the repair. As a big business, I imagine they do have some form of events insurance indeed.
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
7 Aug 2012 5:37PM
To be honest you were fooling around in the dark/ halflight not looking where you were going.....

Probably worse the wear for free wine and beer

Why on Earth is the Hotel stumping up for your incompetence in the basics of looking where you are going.

Any tog that has a tuppence of worth of sense will know where the sun will rise and carry a torch to get themselves there unaided and then bolt the camera on a tripod!!

No doubt you will be looking for a free hire car off the hotels insurance whilst your lens is being repaired!!Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Aug 2012 10:25PM

Quote:I could have gotten 200 for it on ebay

Chuck it in the bin and buy a new lens.
cymroDan 7 174
7 Aug 2012 11:05PM

Quote:To be honest you were fooling around in the dark/ halflight not looking where you were going.....

Probably worse the wear for free wine and beer

Why on Earth is the Hotel stumping up for your incompetence in the basics of looking where you are going.

Any tog that has a tuppence of worth of sense will know where the sun will rise and carry a torch to get themselves there unaided and then bolt the camera on a tripod!!

No doubt you will be looking for a free hire car off the hotels insurance whilst your lens is being repaired!!Tongue

Cheers for the support and assuming I'm an asshat.

the light was fine enough, and it wasn't a case of not seeing the drain cover. I didn't feel the need to explain the situation fully as I didn't expect hostility. The drain had rusted underneath, but was fine on top and loooked sturdy. It was in a very accessible part of the gardens, and in my life stepping on a solid looking drain/man hole cover has never been a problem. I'm not a heavy guy, but the rust underneath caused the corner to give way, and hence I fell in. I didn't demand compensation, I simply told the staff about it so they could do something about it, showed them the damages and injury when they filled out an accident form for me. They contacted me today to discuss it, and said they were willing to try get it repaired since they agree for one of the best wedding reception venues in northern ireland, it shouldn't have happened, and aware of if a child had stepped on it then it could have been worse.

Quote:I could have gotten 200 for it on ebay

Chuck it in the bin and buy a new lens.

You've often been helpful Paul, but I'm unsure what you're getting at here. I bought it for 250 in as-new condition, which is quite a lot of money for me. The accident for me felt like losing 200, and so I'm quite pleased that the hotel have offered to try and compensate for the damages caused. Losing 200-250 worth of equipment, then spending another 300+ on a replacement is 500 that isn't easy disposable income for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.