Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

where to photograph kingfishers????

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    alianar
    alianar  582 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jul 2010 - 9:03 PM

hi
    i really want to photograph kingfishers does anyone know any good places in the new forest and Dorset even if its really small reserves. all help appreciated many thanks Aryan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jul 2010 - 9:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7884 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    23 Jul 2010 - 12:06 AM

Don't know the area, but you could talk to some local anglers, they usually know, but you need to keep away from nesting sites, I believe that a licence is required at or near a nest site

alianar
    23 Jul 2010 - 11:39 AM

hi
    thanks yeah i believe the kingfisher is a schedule 1 bird. i just want to photograph a single one fishing thanks Aryan

Britman
    Britman  81669 forum posts England
    24 Jul 2010 - 8:35 PM

Might be worth registering on one of the many bird photography related sites and asking those guys. Don't know if Kingfisher locations would be some sort of guarded secret.

KBan
    KBan  9457 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2010 - 12:47 PM

much sought after bird, won't be easy.

Just wander up and down your local river you may spot one.

Keith

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2010 - 12:57 PM

The fun and 99% of the skill of wildlife photography mainly lies in learning as much as you can about your subject, where it lives, what it does, how it behaves, etc. etc. then you can begin working out a plan on how best to achieve your shots. This will be considerably more rewarding than someone else doing all the fieldwork for you and pointing you in the direction. Read up about Kingfishers and then try and pinpoint any likely locations near to home which can then be investigated further with a pair of binoculars.

Last Modified By justin c at 25 Jul 2010 - 12:58 PM
    Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2010 - 4:00 PM

There's plenty on nature reserves in and around Dorset, check them on the web, slightly the wrong time of year, best time is Mar / Apr / May when their nesting, and a good wwt site is an excellent place, nearest one 2 you will be Arundel and they can be seen from the reception area fairly often.

Chris

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2010 - 4:28 PM

Quote: best time is Mar / Apr / May when their nesting

No it isn't. That's the worst possible time and a time when they should be left well alone.

Last Modified By justin c at 25 Jul 2010 - 4:30 PM
    Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2010 - 5:39 PM

as indicated, from a wwt hide, it's not a problem and is encouraged by wwt.

Chris

Dave_E
    Dave_E  6125 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Jul 2010 - 5:58 PM

[quote]Quote:best time is Mar / Apr / May when their nesting

No it isn't. That's the worst possible time and a time when they should be left well alone./quote]

Justin you have a valid point about approaching kingfisher nests but many good shots can be got without upsetting the adults and risking them deserting the chicks.
    LIke many most birds they will be far more active whilst providing food for the chicks as well as themselves and their fishing perches can be a great place to watch.

Dave_E
    Dave_E  6125 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Jul 2010 - 6:03 PM

I would totally agree with your earlier comment about the skill and the fun of wildlife photography. In fact IMO it is almost a right of passage so to speak that you earn your own shots.

MeanGreeny
    26 Jul 2010 - 8:50 AM

I think that it's up to the OP as to whether he just takes a picture of it or, as everybody else suggests, buy it little fishy chocolates, meet the parents, go round for Sunday dinner, ask it's father for permission to date the kingfisher, promise to have it home by no later than 10pm etc etc - all before pressing the shutter button.

Tongue

alianar
    27 Jul 2010 - 7:33 AM

yeah i agree with you all and i have found a kingfisher hotspot (by myself Wink) thanks for all your advice.
    Aryan

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.