Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where to photograph Red Kites?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    poetslane
    poetslane  10 United Kingdom
    7 May 2012 - 6:07 PM

I've often seen Red Kites while driving up and down the M40 and would like to know where the best place would be to stop and photograph them, as the side of the motorway is a huge no-no.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 May 2012 - 6:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ourdayphotos
    7 May 2012 - 6:27 PM

There are various RSPB sites all over Britain although I've only been to the one near Stirling. You'll find the details on the internet.grey-heron---red-kite.jpg

justin c
    justin c  104505 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 6:27 PM

Try Stokenchurch area.
    If you feel like travelling a little further afield, i.e. to Wales, then you'll find Gigrin Farm in mid-wales is one of the prime locations.

Last Modified By justin c at 7 May 2012 - 6:29 PM
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 109967 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 6:40 PM

Didcot, near the Railway Centre is always a good place to see them. I believe someone nearby has a feeding station in their garden. Last time we were there we saw up to six at a time in the sky, sometimes passing low overhead

KONIN
    KONIN e2 Member 3250 forum postsKONIN vcard England
    7 May 2012 - 7:43 PM

i used to live on the ladygrove estate in didcot and have just returned today from a long weekend there,the kites are heavily populated in didcot and can be seen just over the roof tops on the estate at any time.on sunday they were swooping into a garden 1 street away from were i was staying but dont have the right lens to get a decent shot.one of the main places they get in didcot is the landfill site just at the side of didcot i think there is a public foot path close by and the road to the gravel pit goes right by it also .
    stu

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 9:09 PM

We visit Aston Rowant quite a lot in the summer months looking for butterflies, but have never failed to see Wild Red Kites while we've been there.......

Ade

glsammy
    glsammy  7192 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2012 - 11:54 PM

I go to Gigrin every couple of years to get my Kite fix. Well worth the journey and the sight is something you'll never forget. You'll see anything up to 200 birds, with a good mix of Buzzards, Ravens and crows for added interest.
    Here's a shot I got back in March. One of too many!Grin
    img-4294.jpg

NeilS
    NeilS e2 Member 7801 forum postsNeilS vcard United Kingdom
    8 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Another vote for Gigrin, if you go take loads of battery and memory, after the first wave about an hour, don't leave as most folk do, hang around andpossibly move cabin, it will all start up again and continue for some hours.

Tip- best to try and follow just one bird at a time, and there are some interesting altercations between the buzzards on the deck, and incoming kites, for this just keep focused on a Buzzard

9-img-1460.jpg

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

In any field just off the M40.

No need to go to Wales Smile

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/uploads/files/AboutTheChilterns/Red%20Kites/Where_t...

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    9 May 2012 - 4:34 PM

My two favourite palces are off J5 M40: turn North and go into Stokenchurch village where the kites are often flying and landing around the common. Or head south from the same junction towards Ibstone and after about 2 miles is the Fox country Inn. Great food and often good views of those birds.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214399 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    9 May 2012 - 6:07 PM

Guess I`m lucky all I need do is open my front or back door, anywhere in the Chilterns area should be good.

2-lrg-599-1276287837.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.