Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Where to photograph Red Kites?

poetslane e2
11 21 United Kingdom
7 May 2012 6:07PM
I've often seen Red Kites while driving up and down the M40 and would like to know where the best place would be to stop and photograph them, as the side of the motorway is a huge no-no.

Many thanks in advance

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

7 May 2012 6:27PM
There are various RSPB sites all over Britain although I've only been to the one near Stirling. You'll find the details on the internet.grey-heron---red-kite.jpg

justin c e2
11 4.6k 36 England
7 May 2012 6:27PM
Try Stokenchurch area.
If you feel like travelling a little further afield, i.e. to Wales, then you'll find Gigrin Farm in mid-wales is one of the prime locations.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
7 May 2012 6:40PM
Didcot, near the Railway Centre is always a good place to see them. I believe someone nearby has a feeding station in their garden. Last time we were there we saw up to six at a time in the sky, sometimes passing low overhead
KONIN e2
3 252 England
7 May 2012 7:43PM
i used to live on the ladygrove estate in didcot and have just returned today from a long weekend there,the kites are heavily populated in didcot and can be seen just over the roof tops on the estate at any time.on sunday they were swooping into a garden 1 street away from were i was staying but dont have the right lens to get a decent shot.one of the main places they get in didcot is the landfill site just at the side of didcot i think there is a public foot path close by and the road to the gravel pit goes right by it also .
stu
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
7 May 2012 9:09PM
We visit Aston Rowant quite a lot in the summer months looking for butterflies, but have never failed to see Wild Red Kites while we've been there.......

Ade
7 May 2012 11:54PM
I go to Gigrin every couple of years to get my Kite fix. Well worth the journey and the sight is something you'll never forget. You'll see anything up to 200 birds, with a good mix of Buzzards, Ravens and crows for added interest.
Here's a shot I got back in March. One of too many!Grin
img-4294.jpg

NeilS e2
7 940 United Kingdom
8 May 2012 11:55AM
Another vote for Gigrin, if you go take loads of battery and memory, after the first wave about an hour, don't leave as most folk do, hang around andpossibly move cabin, it will all start up again and continue for some hours.

Tip- best to try and follow just one bird at a time, and there are some interesting altercations between the buzzards on the deck, and incoming kites, for this just keep focused on a Buzzard

9-img-1460.jpg

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
8 May 2012 10:03PM
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
9 May 2012 4:34PM
My two favourite palces are off J5 M40: turn North and go into Stokenchurch village where the kites are often flying and landing around the common. Or head south from the same junction towards Ibstone and after about 2 miles is the Fox country Inn. Great food and often good views of those birds.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 May 2012 6:07PM
Guess I`m lucky all I need do is open my front or back door, anywhere in the Chilterns area should be good.

2-lrg-599-1276287837.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.