Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Where to shoot birds in Surrey/Sussex/Hants borders?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
6 Dec 2009 - 6:06 PM

Where can I go to photograph birds in the Surrey/Sussex/Hants borders? I am most interested in water fowl such as Widgeon and Godwit. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Dec 2009 - 6:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wireman
wireman  852 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Dec 2009 - 8:09 PM

Hi Leif

It is definitely worth visiting the Pulborough RSPB site.

I was there today, saw widgeon, teal, tufted duck, pintail, shoveler and one sheduck. Herons and swans were also there in addition to some nice long tailed tits, redwings, green woodpecker, jay etc. Blackbirds and magpies are easy to spot, but are they photogenic?

The place is very flooded at the moment so probably not the best place to see waders until the water level drops a bit.

On top of all that, there is a very nice tea room!!! Very important for a good day out.

David

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
7 Dec 2009 - 9:34 AM

Thanks David. Wild fowl and a tea room. Bliss.

filmforever
7 Dec 2009 - 4:46 PM

If you want to try a bitfurther afield, the Wetlands at Barnes (SW London/Surrey borders) are worth a try. These converted reservoirs have all facilities, hides etc. and can be worth a visit during migration times.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
7 Dec 2009 - 10:45 PM

Quote: If you want to try a bitfurther afield, the Wetlands at Barnes (SW London/Surrey borders) are worth a try. These converted reservoirs have all facilities, hides etc. and can be worth a visit during migration times.

It's probably a bit far, though I have been many times when I lived in Slough.

Robin_TB
Robin_TB  4191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2009 - 1:08 PM

I tend to pop down to my local reserve - Farlington Marshes. On the coast, just off the M27 and at the bottom of the A3(M) at the top end of Langstone Harbour. Can be a bit of a mixed bag but often get Little Egrets, Grey Herons and the usual collection of waterfowl. No hides but good vantage points and well marked paths, athough a long zoom would be recommended.

Also the usual collection of warblers and finches amongst the reeds and bushes depending on the time of year.

Hope that helps,
Rob

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
11 Dec 2009 - 8:54 PM

Thanks Robin. I've been quite a few times many years ago, when I last lived in the area. I'd forgotten about it! There is another place at the side of a road on the way to the south coast whose name escapes me, probably West Sussex. Aha, Pagham Harbour!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 1:03 PM

Quote: Aha, Pagham Harbour!

- Thanks - i hope to be nearby this weekend and hope for some morning shots when i'm up with the lark.
Any more hints about Pagham etc?

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 2:39 PM

Arundel Wetland Trust is always worth a visit. We hack across several times a year from Dorset

goexplorephotography

When i saw the title "Where to shoot birds" i got a little excited. i thought wood pigeon would be on the menu.
never mind.

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 9:22 PM

Quote: When i saw the title "Where to shoot birds" i got a little excited. i thought wood pigeon would be on the menu.
never mind.

How Peculiar that you get an excitement over a Wood Pigeon,
I believe there is Therapy available for Numpties that can see only as far as thier oblique view on wildlifeTongue

img-1779-filtered-copy.jpg

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 9:54 PM

OUCH! Tongue

Ade

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 10:14 PM

Quote: How Peculiar that you get an excitement over a Wood Pigeon,

low in cholesterol, high in protein and an excellent flavour (once you get their coat off ). Quick to cook too so very Eco-friendly - what's not to admire, Wood Pigeons are frequent visitors to our dining table Tongue

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 10:48 PM

Quote:

low in cholesterol, high in protein and an excellent flavour (once you get their coat off )

This is a Family Forum Brian...Please Keep Your Inept Palette to Yourself.

brian1208
6 Apr 2012 - 10:35 AM

Quote: low in cholesterol, high in protein and an excellent flavour (once you get their coat off )

This is a Family Forum Brian...Please Keep Your Inept Palette to Yourself.

I guess inviting you round for Game Stew is out of the question then Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.