Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Wheres my Inspiration Gone???

Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2010 5:22PM
Hi all

Just wanted to off load on you all. I've not picked up my camera for at least 4 months now, and am really beginning to feel a total lack of inspiration in the whole thing. I have had a really busy time at work these past few months, and should really be using photography as a wind down at weekends for example. But when the time comes I think "whats the point - you won't get anything decent".

Am really frustrated as I love my camera - just have a total lack of enthusiasm (sp?) at the moment. What do you guys do when you get the photographers version of writers block??

Cheers all
Nige

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hi Nige.
Try looking at other photographers shots, that may give you some ideas.
How do you know you won't get anything decent if you don't try?
Good luck. Smile
Kind regards.
Lucien.
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2010 5:57PM
Cheers Lucien

I know what you mean about not knowing unless I try - need to kick myself up the backside and get going. I trawl the galleries here on EPZ and perhaps thats part of the problem - seeing the loads of great shots in there makes me wonder either a) what am I doing wrong? or b) look at all these great shots - your crap you are!!
Guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself!!Sad
Chrism8 e2
8 754 14 England
30 Jun 2010 5:57PM
Why not buy a local OS map, stick a pin in it and go to that location with a view to coming back with at least 1 cracking image, the furthest you'll have to drive will be around 50 miles.

Chris
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
30 Jun 2010 6:06PM
Hi Nigel, it happens to us all at sometime - normally when we are stressed. Don't try to force it the buzz will come back. I would probably go the opposite of the above just enjoy taking pictures leave epz alone for a while. If it's landscapes I found just relaxing time on my own to be the best - don't worry about what you capture, when the light right it will come together.

When the inclination takes hold set yourself a project ask for help post in critique gallery for example to get honest feedback.
KathyW e2
11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
30 Jun 2010 6:18PM
Don't worry about it Nigel, it happens to us all at some point... Good advice has been offered above. It's definitely not a good idea to try and force it because you will probably end up even more frustrated if you don't get the result you're looking for.

Try and adopt a "whatever" kind of attitude and just take your camera along when you go for a walk, and if you take some pics, all well and good, but don't go out specifically to take photos until you feel you're ready again.

It will all come together again, and when it does set yourself a little project, like one of the EPZ challenges, but take the photos for yourself, because you want to, not because you feel you have to just because you have all the kit languishing in your camera bag and feel guilty for not making use of it right now.
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2010 6:27PM
Knew I could count on EPZers to offer sound advice!! Feel better already actually!! Some good idea here - perhaps a break away from EPZ too might help.
looboss e2
8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2010 6:49PM
Happened to me too! got really busy with work and with less time for the hobby, my inspiration went down the drain. Trying to regain it back by being more active, been uploading some previous rejects, but not having much success with them. Still, all good things come to those that wait and persevere.
Nigeyboy e2
6 537 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2010 6:58PM
I think I have been hung up trying to define my own 'style' of photography, but most of my shots seem to be different each time. I would love to get to the point where someone sees a picture of mine in the gallery, and says "thats one from Nige" without even looking at the name . . . . . . . . .
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
30 Jun 2010 7:37PM
Nigel from someone who has done exactly the same - don't get too hung up on getting your style. Over time it will emerge, just by doing the images you want. Most of us fall into the trap "I will upload what I think is popular". Just take the photo's for you. Then the style will emerge.

The problem with all photo sites (not just EPZ) images tend to gravitate to a certain style, the ones that do well. You see x's work and try to replicate. But so does Joe Bloggs. Trends come and go 2 years ago everyone did HDR (OK exagerating a bit), at the moment the current vogue is long shutter speeds. Over time you will note most will move on leaving it to those that have a passion for that style - and do them bl**dy well. For me its Black and White as the images I aspire to are nearly all mono's - got a lot to learn tho.

One thing I would encourage is to ask for help - either in the forums or PM's people do tend to be helpful. But I stick by what I said in my first reply - don't force it - enjoy your hobby.
DOGSBODY e2
6 1.4k 30 England
30 Jun 2010 8:04PM
As others have said it has happened to all of us.

Do you belong to a club? if not find a good one and join it. Mixing with other photographers can be a great stimulus and they will probably have studio shoots and trips out.

Go to some event that offers photo opportunities there are plenty of them about.

Play with your editing software and try to learn some new techniques.

Enter some pictures in the epz photo month forum.

These are just a few things that you can try but I guarantee that your enthusiasm will come back and it will probably be something simple that sparks it off.

If you are gauging the success of your pictures by the number of votes they get on this site - DON'T. The votes are meaningless and having looked at your PF I would say that there is some good work there.
csurry
12 9.2k 92
30 Jun 2010 8:16PM
Can sympathise completely Nige, I am going through the same thing. Apart from 2 falconry days and a trip to Gigrin I have done no photography to speak of since returning from Scotland back in February.

I was going to have Thurs/Fri off and head to Skomer, but now the forecast is for heavy rain and it's not worth going for just one day because of the drive. So despite the fact that I have two teams at work that both think I am working solidly for them for the next two weeks I have decided to take Friday off and head to the nature reserve. I think maybe if I just get out there then the spark may return.

I was watching out of my hotel window last night and noticed some rabbits, so that kind of sparked me to bring my camera away next week as they looked good in the late evening sun, be sure next week will be wet if you have anything planned! Wink It also helped me to decide that despite all the work taking Friday off would probably be more beneficial in the long run.

I know the feeling when it is just hard to grab the camera and just go and take some pictures. Hopefully it will pass and what will follow will be a new phase of productive work.

So good luck.
Artois e2
8 405 1 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2010 8:16PM
Hi

I think that a lot of the problem is feeling that you need to develop a certain style. Also how boring if every shot is the same. Variety is after all the spice of life. I went through the same thing a while back and stopped enjoying taking shots and playing with them. Then I decided that it is my "hobby" not my life, it is meant to be fun and I now just enjoy snapping and playing with PS. I am never going to achieve the standards that I aspire to but I will keep trying.

After a few weeks of no enthusiasm I eventually took the camera out the bag and went for a country walk, went home, loaded the images, did some editing and got all excited again about photography.

Lots of good advice from the members above and I hope you get your mojo back soon.

Stella
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Jun 2010 8:19PM
Leave the dslr at home and carry a simple point and shoot compact on you each day
30 Jun 2010 8:29PM
I have been like that for ages now, but last week look the camera outside and got some great shots of my lad playing with the hose pipe. It seems to have relit the flame slightly for me. Going to keep the camera charged and CF cards ready. I even found a poppy field just 10 minutes away that I'm awaiting to bloom.

Basically it does come back, just have to pick up the camera and see what happens, you never know you may enjoy it

HTH

Stu

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.