Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Whether to buy a teleconverter

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Warriorpoet
    6 Mar 2010 - 2:17 PM

The O/H has been taking some shots of garden birds with my longest lense the canon 80-200 F2.8. I am wondering about increasing the reach with a teleconverter. If the canon 2x fitted it I wouldn't hesitate but it is not compatable with this older lens so the Kenko Pro 300 looks the best option.
    What I am wondering is if it is worth getting this converter. My thinking is that somewhere in the future I will probably get a 200 or 300 prime (but not the near future) and look to use a teleconverter with it. So the question is how similar is the quality of the kenko against the canon as I don't want to buy the kenko now for one lens if I will need to upgrade when I buy a lens I could use a canon converter with.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Mar 2010 - 2:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_Whitehouse

I personally wouldn't bother with a 2X has image quilty suffers. Go for a 1.4x instead and crop the image if you need to.

Many regard 2x converters as the last resort (a get me out the sh*t option) Shooting at f8 with a 1.4X and cropping will give you a better result 9 times out of 10.

Si

Brom
    Brom  9804 forum posts United Kingdom
    6 Mar 2010 - 3:25 PM

i use the 300 pro with a nikon 80-200 2.8, i can highly recommend it but would support the use of the 1.4 over the 2x

Warriorpoet
    6 Mar 2010 - 3:37 PM

Thanks guys. I may indeed go for the 1.4. Just be checking out prices and bizarrely it is less than half price from HK on ebay so may have to purchase from there as a good saving even after import duty.

Dave

aftertherain
    6 Mar 2010 - 4:33 PM

Check out the classifieds there's one for sale.

Last Modified By aftertherain at 6 Mar 2010 - 4:34 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.