Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which 105mm Diameter Circular Polariser is best???

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BillyGoatGruff
    BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2009 - 5:36 PM

Hi folks.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the which is the best 105mm diameter circular polarising filter.
    I've done a bit of research and have narrowed down the main brands I'm prepared to consider:
    Lee
    Heliopan
    B+W
    and, possibly, Hitech although I'm not sure if they actually do one this size.
    [Singh-Ray are prohibitively expensive, and currently, do not provide a CPL of this diameter.]

I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Lee system, so filters that fix to the front of individual lenses are not really of interest to me.

I've had a few interesting and helpful thoughts and suggestions from certain accomplished epzers, but thought I'd open this up to a larger sample of the epz world.

So...which of these 3 (or 4) is best, from a quality and usability point-of-view?
    And...normal or slim??

Cheers
    Bill

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Mar 2009 - 5:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_H
    Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2009 - 5:42 PM

I use the Heliopan filter and its slightly slimmer than the Lee version so Vignetting is not going to be as bad.

I would also recomend the Heliopan for their customer care, I had a Heliopan filter that was about three years old and I dropped it, the glass smashed so I asked Heliopan if they could replace the glass and how much it would cost, they said send it to them in germany and they will see what they can do, a few weeks later they sent a brand new polariser free of charge.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    BillyGoatGruff
    BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Mar 2009 - 5:46 PM

Cheers, Chris.

Most interesting and helpful.

Bill

baxter
    baxter  10164 forum posts England
    4 Mar 2009 - 8:09 PM

I bought the B+W Kasemann, this has been really good. Align the B+W logo with the sun for full polarisation. Easy!

However the Heliopan warming polariser has a good number of fans. It is supposed to minimise colour shift to blue.

Since I tend to use a polariser relatively infrequently, I haven't been tempted to switch, or even try one for that matter.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62503 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    5 Mar 2009 - 6:54 AM

Which lens have you got in mind - 105mm is huge and implies something like a 600mm.
    Many big telephotos have a rear slot in filter system with a pol option.

MeanGreeny
    5 Mar 2009 - 8:02 AM

Heliopan

Someone told me a while ago that they were made by B+W - unconfirmed though

conrad
    conrad  1010877 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Mar 2009 - 9:03 AM

So is Praktica, but that doesn't necessarily help... Wink

BillyGoatGruff
    5 Mar 2009 - 1:01 PM

Looks like Heliopan is currently front running....

Len: Read the question!! It's not going to be put on a lens; it's going on the front of the Lee filter system! Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.