Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

which 50mm prime for my d5200

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    lemontart
    lemontart  154 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Aug 2013 - 5:07 PM

Gosh it gets so confusing - the more you read and research the worse the headache gets.

I am currently looking for a 50mm prime for my D5200 and cannot decide let between these too (so far)

Nikon 50mm f1.8 afs

or
    Nikon f1.4 g 50mm af-s

mainly for portrait work and of course depth of feild I am also interested to know if anyone has used either of the above with a reversing ring for macro shots

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Aug 2013 - 5:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    22 Aug 2013 - 5:35 PM

The real difference between the two is price!

The f1.8 lens is one of the real gems of the Nikon line-up and is a bargain-price to boot.

The f1.4 is just over half a stop faster but several times the price. You can get another half stop by getting the f1.2 for triple the price of the f1.4 but it's manual focus and may not work with your D5200. Unless you plan to use it wide open on a regular basis, you won't get any return on your extra investment. It's used at f1.4 for one of two reasons: small depth of field with the associated bokeh or when you need the max aperture for shooting in low light.

You pay an awful lot more for the small increase in max aperture!

scottishphototours

You need the first one as it's half the price of the second one and it's optically fantastic - though the second one is optically stellar and has better bokeh (look it up!...) due to the type of aperture blades used.

mikehit
    mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Aug 2013 - 7:49 PM

A pro who shoots with Canon chipped into a similar conversation to explain that yes, the (Canon) f1.4 is better built and the IQ is better - but not by much. The difference is so slight that he buys the f1.8 - it is so smaller he can carry it in a jacket pocket and the build quality is not an issue because he considers it so cheap as to be disposable and for the cost of the f1.4 he can replace the f1.8 several times.

Gundog
    Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
    22 Aug 2013 - 8:14 PM

Quote: The real difference between the two is price!

The f1.8 lens is one of the real gems of the Nikon line-up and is a bargain-price to boot.

Even more of a bargain if you don't need autofocus - in which case the "D" version is even cheaper. (The D has AF but your camera doesn't have the required motor)

And if you want to use it with a reversing ring for macro, the D version is definitely the one to go for as it has an aperture ring.

Last Modified By Gundog at 22 Aug 2013 - 8:15 PM
    randomrubble
    22 Aug 2013 - 9:49 PM

Having just read some reviews of 50mm lenses, one thing that stood out was that the 1.8 versions tend to have lower distortion than the faster ones, so if you shoot stuff with straight lines in (like architecture Smile) you'll be better off with a 1.8 as it will need less correction.

lemontart
    22 Aug 2013 - 10:00 PM

thank you for all the comments and replies I am going for the f1.8

lemontart
    27 Aug 2013 - 2:25 PM

well it has arrived and had a quick play and absolutely delighted with it tiger-27th-aug-2013-50mm-lens.jpg

lemontart
    27 Aug 2013 - 2:26 PM

pic is just as it came did not adjust camera edit or anything, cannot wait for more time to play properly and experiment

thewilliam
    27 Aug 2013 - 3:07 PM

Enjoy! It's a fine lens.

Many thanks for reporting back. Many members post questions, get some very well thought out advice and then go quiet. Experienced readers then wonder why they bothered. It's been a real pleasure to help you.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    27 Aug 2013 - 9:11 PM

You cannot reverse either G lens option and get the aperture to stop down Sad

thewilliam
    27 Aug 2013 - 10:23 PM

Quote: You cannot reverse either G lens option and get the aperture to stop down Sad

Len, your G lenses must be different from those we use here. Ours won't open up when they're off the camera!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.