Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which 70-200 f2.8 for Canon 7D

chataigner 1 11 France
28 Dec 2012 5:10PM
I'm about to order my 7D and a 70-200 f2.8 to go with it. The budget of around 1k (for the lens) will cover the Tamron or Sigma stabilised, or the Canon unstabilised. Would welcome some advice. Use will be mainly events such as concerts and sports.

Walkabout lens is the Canon EF 24-85 f3.5 that I've had for a very long time.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 4 352 England
28 Dec 2012 5:39PM
I borrowed a Sigma non IS when my Canon IS mkI was in for repair, I was not happy with the IQ, very soft and lacking contrast, the lens was the early version and may have been faulty but the owner sald it was spot on.

The 7D may show up your 24-85, it dates back to the film era and was rated average on the 350D by Photozone review here.

I would look at a better walk round lens first, the 7D is an awesome machine that needs good glass.
robthecamman 3 1.3k United Kingdom
28 Dec 2012 7:21PM
iv the 7d just got the 15/85 lens seems good to me Smile
losbarbados 5 236 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2012 8:38PM
Canon non IS without a doubt.

If you haven't used anything else, then the Sigma is ok, but when you see the difference in IQ you will always ask yourself why you wasted your money.
Clogs 6 4 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 9:48AM
Sport Non IS is probably OK
Concerts IS is a must

The IQ of my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is better then any of my 3 L series lenses.

By the way why 7D? I would have a long hard look at the low light performance before parting with my money.
have a look here: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings/(type)/usecase_sports
tpfkapm 3 146 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 12:32PM
7d- better low light performance than 40d, 50d
great fast autofocus
sigma 70 200 good iq, and sharp- when it focuses- but unless recent models are more reliable i would say that the
70 200 L is great lens and only bettered by the mk 2L IS, and both have reliable focus

used and had all above
tpfkapm 3 146 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 12:32PM
to clogs- which L lenses?
SteveHunter 6 386 1 England
29 Dec 2012 1:18PM

Quote:I'm about to order my 7D and a 70-200 f2.8 to go with it. The budget of around 1k (for the lens) will cover the Tamron or Sigma stabilised, or the Canon unstabilised. Would welcome some advice. Use will be mainly events such as concerts and sports.

What is it that you plan on using the 70 - 200 for, that will determine whether you are better off getting IS or not, or even whether you need the f2.8 version. It's a heavy beast which often means it gets left at home.

I would be looking to replace your walkabout lens first though, as there is little point buying a 7D and using that lens, you would be better off with a cheaper body and a better lens, unless you are specifically needing the low light and improved focussing capabilities of the 7D
Coast e2
6 1.4k 292 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2012 4:04PM
I would always recommend investing in the best glass you can afford. Have you thought of used? I note a couple of local camera shops to me (Chester) are selling the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS Mk I lens for a little over 1k. They may even barter a little for a sale! I have the Mk1 IS version. IQ is first class and having tried a friends MK II on my 5D MkIII I see no discernible difference in image quality between the two lenses. Where the Mk II scores over the original lens is speed in AF which is noticeably quicker.

Both are heavy lenses but carried in a case fit for purpose I don't notice it even on full day hikes. I used to use a lowepro slingshot and the weight of the lens soon became a noticable pain but since switching to a Tamrac adventure rucksack style case I do not experience the same problem.

For me the Canon L glass is worth the investment and has seen me through to my third EOS camera body now (20D, 5D MkI and now 5D Mk III).

In answer to the IS question. For handheld shots it is invaluable. Just remember to switch it off when camera and lens are mounted on a tripod.
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
29 Dec 2012 4:30PM
I'm very pleased with my sigma 70-200 f2.8 non OS used it on both my 40D and 5D mkII, have a few shots in my portfolio. I picked it up used for 430 inc a x2 all in great condition too.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 12:03AM
canon non is all the way and the 7d demands good glass as it is in itself a good camera.
good glass will always be 1st in my camera bag....
Clogs 6 4 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 1:19PM
to tpfcapm 17-40, 24-105 and 100-400
If I could spend my money again I would not buy the first two but invest in a 24-70 instead
chataigner 1 11 France
30 Dec 2012 5:16PM

Quote:I'm about to order my 7D and a 70-200 f2.8 to go with it. The budget of around 1k (for the lens) will cover the Tamron or Sigma stabilised, or the Canon unstabilised. Would welcome some advice. Use will be mainly events such as concerts and sports.

What is it that you plan on using the 70 - 200 for, that will determine whether you are better off getting IS or not, or even whether you need the f2.8 version. It's a heavy beast which often means it gets left at home.

I would be looking to replace your walkabout lens first though, as there is little point buying a 7D and using that lens, you would be better off with a cheaper body and a better lens, unless you are specifically needing the low light and improved focussing capabilities of the 7D

Interesting point... I really like the flexibility etc. of the 24-85. What do you suggest as a replacement (assuming I also buy a 70-200) ?
Johno450 3 24 1 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2013 2:45PM
A difficult choice to make based on your budget... but I use a 7D and 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM II and as Steve Hunter says it is a heavy combination... but the combined camera lens combo is hard to beat Smile
Paul_Anthony 2 369 4 Wales
7 Jan 2013 5:52PM
I use the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and can not fault it, well made and fast focusing. A bit heavy but then so are most 70-200 f2.8 lenses. I do use it on a Nikon D600 though, but imagine that it will perform just as well on a 7D.

Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.