Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which A3 printer?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jennialexander
    jennialexander e2 Member 1045 forum postsjennialexander vcard United Kingdom
    6 Oct 2009 - 9:05 PM

I am wanting to buy a new A3 printer. I have an iMac.
    I was thinking Epson 1900 or 2880 (although that is very expensive) Any ideas please. All the other information on here is a few years old. Or is a Canon a better bet? Have always had Epson
    Jenni

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Oct 2009 - 9:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2009 - 9:22 PM

The Epson 3800 (or the newer 3880) may be a good choice if you do a fair bit of printing. The cartridges are 80mm in size, which is considerably larger than on the two models you mention and will work out cheaper in the long run.
    The initial purchase price looks expensive but it comes with 350 of ink.

Last Modified By justin c at 6 Oct 2009 - 9:23 PM
    gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6549 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2009 - 10:40 PM

Another big thumbs up for the 3800 absolutely brilliant and affordable to run, DPSB has the best price I have seen - gary

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2009 - 10:51 PM

The 3800 (or 3880) is very highly regarded, but it is an A2 printer (and does not support roll printing).

If you have the budget, go for the 2880.

However I did not have the budget for the 2880, so I went for the 1900 instead. Print quality is very impressive, however as I only purchased it recently, I yet to find out what the running costs are.

LensYews
    LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2009 - 11:08 PM

You can get an R2880 from Camera World for 529 currently, and the Canon 9500 (pigment) is roughly the same price. The Canon 9000 (dye) is 379 at RGB tech

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6549 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales13 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Oct 2009 - 11:15 PM

However I did not have the budget for the 2880, so I went for the 1900 instead. Print quality is very impressive, however as I only purchased it recently, I yet to find out what the running costs are

The 2880 is far more expensive to run and to buy when you facter in the price of a full set of inks compared to the 3800, and you can print to A2 if you wish.

gary

MattGrayson
    6 Oct 2009 - 11:47 PM

The R1900 is a great printer. Smile

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62503 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2009 - 5:57 PM

Are you sure you want to print yourself?
    Inks cost around 1.60 for an A3 for a 1900 or 2880.
    Add paper at say 1.20 on top gets to 2.80.
    Assuming 1,000 A3 prints over the life time of a 2440 adds another 0.50 - now 3.30 an A3.
    Add wastage (not all prints are right first time) gets you to over 3.50.
    It is often cheaper to send digital files to a lab.
    In the NE of UK more than 50% of Club photographers have stopped doing there own printing and use labs like RGB.

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 11 Oct 2009 - 5:59 PM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2009 - 6:13 PM

Quote: In the NE of UK more than 50% of Club photographers have stopped doing there own printing and use labs like RGB.

Where on earth does one find a statistic like that ?

mbharris
    mbharris  632 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Oct 2009 - 6:43 PM

Ref. Len's reply.- In spite of the financial costs, (which I acknowledge), there are photographers who still like to be in control of the whole process and who take pride in the final result, me included- encouragement not discouragement!

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Oct 2009 - 8:29 PM

Quote: In the NE of UK more than 50% of Club photographers have stopped doing there own printing and use labs like RGB

Labs like ProAm (which I also use alongside the 1900) are great for bulk orders as the cost per print is a lot cheeper. However - postage costs need to be taken into account, and there is the turn around time to concider.

If you need a single print, in a short timeframe, then you could easily end up spending more on the postage alone with the lab than your calculated cost per print from the 1900/2880.

Plus a home printer will give you access to more media types them most labs offer.

Last Modified By mattw at 12 Oct 2009 - 7:23 AM
    david357
    david357  5 United Kingdom
    12 Oct 2009 - 1:28 PM

Another big thumbs up for home printing, instant results on whatever media you wish to use, no postal strikes to worry about, and if you don't like the resulting print you can tweak the image and reprint in minutes.
    ....and the Epson r2880 is absolutely superb. I only (presently) use genuine inks in mine, but I know people using the fotospeed continuous ink system. Their prints are equally as good, and have custom profiles for their pcs, at much lower costs.

keith selmes
    12 Oct 2009 - 5:18 PM

If I needed a new printer I would take a serious look at that 3800, I think its not much bigger than my A3, and after the initial expense, cheaper to run, plus doing larger prints - and I have been asked if I can do A2.

As to sending out, I do have some stuff just done by Photobox, but I really prefer to produce my own prints, and if I want something done to particular dimensions, this is the quickest and probably simplest method.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62503 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    14 Oct 2009 - 8:23 PM

Quote: Where on earth does one find a statistic like that ?

Judging in the NE, talking to NE photographers, booking NE photographers for lectures and being NYSDPA secretary.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.