Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which all round camo to go for?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2011 - 5:35 PM

Ok so I'm slowly working up a little budget to get something to replace my current lens camo cover (a green sock - yes its a sock!). White is a nice colour but it don't half spook the birds some. So I'm after a good all round camo colour for a 70-200mm f2.8 lens with teleconverters - however there are many shades and colours; and whilst I know many animals are colourblind and such I still want to make a generally decent all round choice that will work in a wide variety of situations.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Mar 2011 - 5:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

da_nige
    da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
    2 Mar 2011 - 7:16 PM

All of my camo (clothing, lens covers, hide) is Realtree APG. It works for everything I've tried to shoot from Ptarmigans to Bald Eagles.

Neil

sjportlock
    2 Mar 2011 - 8:36 PM

Have to agree da_nige, all of mine is Realtree APG

justin c
    justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2011 - 9:31 PM

The camouflage pattern of your lenses cover really won't make the slightest difference Grin, movement, smell, unnatural shapes and reflections are what will give you away. But saying that, it certainly won't do any harm to have a loose fitting cover to break up the shape and colour of your lens. I made my own out of some good quality, standard DPM material which can be purchased by the meter from any decent fabric shop. The reason I made my own is because the commercially made one I had before from Wildlife Watching Supplies didn't allow fast, unhindered access to my 500mm's switches, i.e. I.S., focus limiter,etc,etc.
    If I had to choose a pattern out of the many available, it would be another vote for Realtree APG (All Purpose Green) or Realtree AP (All Purpose).

To help you choose have a look HERE Grin

Last Modified By justin c at 2 Mar 2011 - 9:39 PM
    User_Removed
    2 Mar 2011 - 11:10 PM

There are huge myths around in the camo world - which make clothing manufacturers huge sums of money.

In fact the British Army/NATO disruptive patterns have been proved to be the most effective in either jungle or desert hues according to the terrain (but the patterns are similar).

To the untutored human eye, the various Realtree/Mossy Oak, etc, patterns are far more attractive but, as one American hunting guru pointed out, Realtree patterns are really only of any use if you can find the correct real tree to stand against.

In reality, for wildlife photographic purposes it is glare rather than colour that can be a problem. The lesson is Matt, matt and matter.

Overread
    Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Mar 2011 - 11:17 PM

Aye I won't dare dispute that the camo world is full of myths and legends, for me though its more about having a firm gripping wrapping around the lens that is slightly warmer than cold white L lens (cause it does get darn cold!) whilst also giving a bit of protection and also breaking up its form.

Considering the support for Realtree (and the fact that the rest of my clothing is real tree as well) it sounds like that will be the best bet - annoyingly Warehouse express are on back order for the 70-200mm M2 realtree. I know there are a few other suppliers in the UK though I never bookmark the sites (ok I probably have but I've lost them in the sea of bookmarks)

Ps - justin - you ever do training courses on that whole mythical world of tracking/stalking etc..?

justin c
    justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2011 - 12:47 PM

Quote: Ps - justin - you ever do training courses on that whole mythical world of tracking/stalking etc..?

LOL Smile I'm certainly no expert on the subject. I've just spent so much time with my local Roe deer they probably think I'm part of the landscape Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.