Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Apple laptop

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MichaelTuska
    22 Sep 2012 - 7:28 PM

Am considering purchasing an Apple laptop to facilitate image editing etc when away from home.Will work presumably in conjunction withiMac and I Pad .Although new to 'Apple' system and still got a lot to learn, I find them streets ahead of PC's
    Macbook 'Air' or Macbook Pro but not TOP END macbooks as they are too expensive for me now. It is suggested that Macbook Pro 15"(1499.00) is better for photo editing than Macbook Air (1249.00)due to processor.
    Is this correct?
    Mike Tuska

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Sep 2012 - 7:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

catgirl73
    catgirl73  6141 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Sep 2012 - 7:42 PM

Hi
    Yep I have a iMac i7 for home and a Macbook pro for mobility, once you try a Macbook for editing you will never go back to a PC.

If you want to do serious Photoshop kind of editing then the Macbook Pro is your best option, but Apple are coming out with better Macbook's all the time so I would go in and ask them about the Air.

Say goodbye to all the photo processing time the PC's take, also the quality and resolution is fantastic.

Catherine

robthecamman
    22 Sep 2012 - 7:45 PM

take care with some new apple computers some you cant upgrade battery etc

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96289 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 8:13 PM

Quote: you cant upgrade battery etc

I do not think I have ever come across a product that upgrades it's battery, so probably not really an issue.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Sep 2012 - 8:21 PM

Quote: It is suggested that Macbook Pro 15"(1499.00) is better for photo editing than Macbook Air (1249.00)due to processor.

100% Correct.

It's all about dissipation of heat, a high end procesor like an i7 need lots of power thus lots creates of heat. A high end CPU in tower PC means the heat can be well ventilated & dispersed so the processor can be run at maximum power.

Efficient dispertion of heat cannot happen in laptops especially super sim laptops like a Mac Air so the manufactures underclock the Processor so it creates less heat. (thus reducing processing power). Result is you think you are buying a laptop with a high end processer but, as a consequence of the processer being underclocked your laptop runs alot slower that you thought it might have.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 22 Sep 2012 - 8:32 PM
    SueEley
    SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 8:35 PM

Quote: you cant upgrade battery etc
    I do not think I have ever come across a product that upgrades it's battery, so probably not really an issue.

I thought this was changing for environmental reasons? I think ipads and kindles can both get new batteries (return to factory, though). But they would probably be getting obsolete before needing a new one, maybe. Not sure this would be the case with a macPro though. Anyhow, if you're happy to run it plugged in it doesn't really matter when the battery goes on a laptop? (unless someone knows better?)

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 8:46 PM

Actual the issue with Macbook Pros is that the hard drive has a non standard connection and memory is soldered to the board. Basically this means that you can't buy one and decide to upgrade the memory with cheap memory later (though I assume you can get Apple to do it). So if you think you might need more memory it's probably best to buy it straight away rather than go through the hassle of upgrading later.

robthecamman
    22 Sep 2012 - 9:15 PM

yes lobsterboy thats wat i was getting at

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2012 - 9:25 PM

So, who on here uses a Pro and who uses an Air? Has anyone bought one and wished they'd bought the other model? If so, why?

Scottelly
    Scottelly  235 forum posts United States
    2 Sep 2013 - 4:48 AM

Actually, my 13" MacBook Air with the upgraded processor (from i5 to i7 . . . you have to do this when ordering it) runs very cool. I am surprised how cool, so I don't agree with what redsnappa says about heat. I believe they under-clock the processors to save power, and they now let the processors speed up when they are working hard, so they only get hot when running hard for a while. Mine does not seem to get hot though (only slightly warm), and I process hundreds of photos and even render HD video with this little computer. It is only a dual core machine though. Unfortunately Apple still does not put a quad core processor in any notebook computer except the 15" MacBook Pro. That is one reason to get that computer. I can attest to the speed of the MacBook Air. It is the only computer I use (for about 18 months now), and I find it quite sufficient. Today the 13" MacBook air comes with the same size hard drive I got with mine (an expensive upgrade at the time). The fast solid state hard drive is a must. DO NOT get a computer with one of those old hard drives. You won't believe how fast your Mac is if you get one with a solid state drive (SSD or SSHD). There is an important issue to consider . . . the MacBook Air is not as sturdy as the MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air is build primarily as a light-weight computer, rather than as a robust computer. If you think you'll be carrying the computer in a backpack a lot (or in some other bag that might be banged around, dropped, etc.) I suggest you get the latest MacBook Pro with the retina display and solid state hard drive. The memory card slot in it is much faster than the memory card slots in the new 13" MacBook Air and even the 15" MacBook Pro. I tested this with a UHS104 card made by Sony. (That's a type of UHS-1 SDHC card.) I'm sure you are happy to hear this, since the smaller MacBook Pro is MUCH cheaper (and somewhat lighter). Since Apple has upgraded the MacBook Air yet again, I suspect the memory card slot is faster now. I wish my memory card slot was faster . . . though if I had the smaller model I would be using a Thunderbolt memory card reader that would be ridiculously fast anyway, so that would be a non-issue.

I do not wish I had bought the MacBook Pro, but I sometimes think I should have bought the 11" MacBook Air, since it is lighter and still has plenty of processing power. I did not expect the MacBook Air to be so fast. I believe my upgrade to the size of the hard drive (which is now standard) was a good buy, but the upgrade to the fastest processor was not necessary. It seems that much of the speed comes from the fast hard drive. If I were to replace this computer I would probably get the 11" MacBook Air the way it comes off the shelf, and save myself some money and weight. (That little computer is only 2 lbs.) I just checked, and it looks like I would end up paying $1,800 for my 11" MacBook Air (upgrading from 1.3 i5 processor to the 1.7 GHz i7 for $150, from 4 GB or RAM to 8 GB for $100, and from 256 GB to 512 GB for $300). That's the sort of thing I did back when I bought this computer, though I only have 4 GB of RAM, because the RAM upgrade was not available back when I bought this computer. The latest MacBook Air has super long battery life, because the processors are slower (mine is a 1.8 GHz i7, but the fastest you can get today is a 1.7 GHz i7) and because they have no doubt improved efficiency of other systems. An 8 GB 11" MacBook Air with an i7 processor and a 512 GB solid state hard drive would be AWESOME.

With the "turbo boost" feature, I'm sure the latest MacBook Air models are faster than mine.

I LOVE my MacBook Air . . . and I have used many Windows notebook computers, iMac and Mac Mini computers, and a couple of tablets. I used to own a 17" MacBook Pro, and I was worried about the size of the little 13" screen, but that was a worry that never turned into a real problem. I am VERY happy with the graphics and resolution of this 13" MacBook Air. I believe I would be happy with the smaller screen of the smaller MacBook Air too.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.