Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which are the best paying events??

Bucephalas69 6 279 Wales
1 Dec 2008 6:30PM
I've just done my first swimming gala over 2 weekends and a presentation evening.
Over 2K images, a team photo of 73 swimmers and individual studio portraits to go in a double mount with team photo.

All in all, this has been (financially) a waste of time. Sold around 200 in team photos alone and not much else.

My skills are upto the job and all images posted were high quality. I was selling 9x6 with strut mount for 6.00!!

I've made twice this on a small end-of-season hunter trial events with 12 riders!

Does anyone else have experience of swimming galas they can share?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
1 Dec 2008 6:42PM
9x6s at 6 pounds in a mount is too cheap, 8-10 pounds up to 12 pounds is the average
you probally found every time you posed team photos the mums and dads snapped away with thier point and shoots, hence low takings, the ones that did buy one, and get is scanned and printed, sign of the times.

the very best earners is school proms , heard of 1700+ takings one nighter for a small school

the equine market is on a down turn due to over satuation by too many togs , in too small market, again sign of the times, a lot of pro photography firms are off loading such work .
Graysta 9 1.1k England
1 Dec 2008 8:50PM
While most of us try to produce a quality product to sell, and scrutinize our own work till almost perfect,most people as Paul says are more than happy with a point & squirt Jpeg 6x4 or do a scan of a group of about 16 by only buying 1 image from the tog.

Graham
ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
1 Dec 2008 8:54PM
i always use jpeg at events, as speed is the essence, raws too big and too slow.
I shoot both for important things like weddings then use the raw if the exposure / white balance is out on the jpeg

conversely if the pictures of girls are too sharp it shows all the imperfections , so slightly softer is often better
Bucephalas69 6 279 Wales
1 Dec 2008 9:37PM
The 6 price tag was for the pool shots. Still too cheap i Know but i got the job from someone who attended a fund raising event i did where i charged 6 a print.
The group photo and double mount went for 10 but i think 12 would be my norm for this and 16 for 12x8.
Only 12 kids chose to have a portrait done but everyone of those sold in a double mount with the team photo.

I shot it all on Jpeg's except the team photo which i shot raw.

I've got my first school shoot on Thursday this week. 120 children plus class shots.
I'm hauling a 10ftx21ft vinyl backdrop with me trying some High key school shots instead of the normal stuff at the request of the head.

Any pitfalls I should worry about?
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
1 Dec 2008 9:51PM

Quote:I'm hauling a 10ftx21ft vinyl backdrop with me....Any pitfalls I should worry about?

A slipped disc...

Wink
snapperpaul 7 177
3 Dec 2008 10:19AM
taking too long - schools are adamant that it should not disrupt the day.
The good news is that the teachers are past masters at getting the groups sorted for the class shots.
I've only ever done this once -final year group - 6 classes of 30 then a full year shot - all done in a 30 minute window.

PS - it was an all girl secondary school and the din they made was phenomenal

PPS - The really good news was that I was being paid by the school to take the shots, and picked up additional sales of the images, but sales were v low
Bucephalas69 6 279 Wales
9 Dec 2008 12:54PM
Well job was done. Luckily i also took a Lastolite Hilite 7x6 backdrop which was invalueable as they didn't have as much room available as they had said.
As for sales......... the only shots they wanted was the snaps with Santa!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.