Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which camera ? Advice please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    dianah
    dianah  824474 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2009 - 6:08 PM

My daughter would like a small digital camera for her birthday with a zoom lens. This is mainly for taking photos of her small son and short videos. Can anyone recommend one for between 100 -150 pounds please. It needs to be fairly simple as she isn't into photography in a big way . Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jul 2009 - 6:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Boyd
    Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jul 2009 - 6:12 PM

How about a Canon 90IS - just short of 150.
    Seems to tick all of your boxes.

ePz review is here.

Last Modified By Boyd at 30 Jul 2009 - 6:16 PM
    dianah
    30 Jul 2009 - 6:17 PM

Thank you Boyd. I have had a look and it seems to be the kind of camera she is looking for. I don't know much about smaller cameras so would like any advice going. If someone has one in particular that they use themselves and rate highly, then please let me know.

Last Modified By dianah at 30 Jul 2009 - 6:17 PM
    Boyd
    30 Jul 2009 - 6:19 PM

I bought my father-in-law one - it's a lovely little thing.

The camera that is. He's a big lump of a Welshman.

dianah
    30 Jul 2009 - 6:23 PM

Sounds good to me Boyd ! The camera that is ..didn't mean your father-in-law. Smile That one will certainly be on my list. Huge thanks.

MrGoatsmilk
    30 Jul 2009 - 10:01 PM

We use a fuji f30 think they are up to f60 now. Ours has been great for taking photos and video works great in low light too, battery lasts ages on a charge. Fits in the pocket easily. Think the latest also have face detection. I would have another one without question. The photos we have printed have been bang on.

dianah
    30 Jul 2009 - 10:31 PM

Thank you very much Stuart, I will look into that one as well. I will read up about it.

MattGrayson
    31 Jul 2009 - 2:56 PM

I also reviewed the Canon IXUS 90IS and it received a 9 out of 10 Highly recommended.

You can see it here:

Canon IXUS 90IS review

Boyd
    31 Jul 2009 - 3:25 PM

pssst Matt - I did that link earlier.

MattGrayson
    31 Jul 2009 - 3:28 PM

check again dude. Wink

Boyd
    31 Jul 2009 - 3:40 PM

Oh yeah. Same camera, two reviews. Handy.

dianah
    31 Jul 2009 - 4:08 PM

This one looks the best so far ..have asked the question in my blog too, to see if I get any other thoughts. Thank you Matt and Boyd again ! Smile

elaineparker
    2 Aug 2009 - 3:52 PM

I have had a few Fuji pix cameras over the past 8 years and each time i am done with one i have passed it on to my kids. I am now on the Fuji s8000 and i find it a very good camera for its money. I paid about 250 but i am sure they are about 150 now and less.

It has a 18X Optical zoom and at 8.0 m.pixels its a great value, one piece camera.

Could do a lot worse ......... it's time for me to upgrade ( soon )

THUNDYBUM
    THUNDYBUM  529 forum posts England
    11 Aug 2009 - 12:55 PM

i have just upgraded from my old 35mm lr film to digital and changcamera manufactures as well.for yourself id gfor one of the new nikons avaable i have a fujis5pro nikon d200 in drag brilliant and i do believe the new nikon cameras has a wider exposure latatude feature as in there new top ag dx3 worth going for ......
    my daughter has just beenven for her 8th birthday a crackinsony digital camera from tescos 70 pounds 3 x zoom very allert focusing and very sound pictures the model is dsc-s730 with easy to use pictograms on a dial.20mins she knows it upside down.
    regards richard

UUilliam
    UUilliam  5 Scotland
    11 Aug 2009 - 10:07 PM

I personally had this camera, Great camera, Low noise too and there isn't a very noticeable shutter lag time (less than 0.5 sec)

Shoots recording onto SD cards meaning it is very cost efficient (as SD being one of the cheapest formats)
    Only records in Jpeg (like most Compacts)

I highly recommend it, Great camera, Great Pixel dimensions and a large print size (8 MegaPixels allowing for plenty of large format printing.)

Shutter lag as a high priority when it comes to shooting kids and spontanious moment which this compact handles greatly!
    Might buy one again, (Unfortunately they arent water proof thus me loosing mines Sad.)

At the moment it sits at only above 100 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-Digital-Compact-Camera-Optical/dp/B000LY1UKO)

Last Modified By UUilliam at 11 Aug 2009 - 10:11 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.