Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Which camera? (Group forum)

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
5 Jul 2010 6:54PM
Which film camera do you still use and why?
Today I started using a Nikon F-801S I bought last week for 12! These cost 500 when new and it's a real beauty. I don't think I'll use film often, but this groups a great idea as a place to talk about it. I have a couple of old manual Nikkors so the 35mm f/2 will be on this camera. I've loaded up with an old roll of Fuji Provia 100 I had from the last time I used film (it's about 8 years out of date!) I'm looking forward to some experimentation.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Strobe 7 1.3k United States
5 Jul 2010 7:04PM
I use a Nikon Fm3a with a 50mm f/1.4, I usually use Ilford hp5, I have had a few issues supporting small independent labs so now I only deal directly with Ilford labs. I also use Kodak Tri X film but once again use Ilford for processing.

I recently bought a second hand 28mm f/2.8 but to be honest I love the 50mm so might sell the 28mm.

I hope the group will attract some interest, I have only been doing photography since mid 2007, therefore no real exposure to film. It really is a great and cheap medium to work with.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
5 Jul 2010 7:17PM
I have a Canon FD T70, mint. I use the FD 28mm f2.8, 200mm f4.0, 70-210mm f4.0, 70-150mm, and the 50mm f3.5 macro with the 1:1 adapter. I also have a mint 277T flash with it. I want to get an AF Pentax film camera, any suggestions?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
5 Jul 2010 7:26PM

Quote:I want to get an AF Pentax film camera, any suggestions?

Early Pentax film cameras were dreadful. Built well but sluggish performance. If you want a consumer spec look at the MZ5/n. If you are after something with pro build the MZ-S was excellent.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
5 Jul 2010 7:47PM
Thanks Pete, I'll be looking. Right now I only have the Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 to use on a film body, but I have a Pentax AF 100mm f2.8 Macro on order.

A question for you Pete; the Tamron 90mm macro you had, was it the old model or the new digital model?
AlanPerkins 9 484 England
5 Jul 2010 8:55PM
I still use a Minolta Dynax 9. Why? Because I love the Minolta 50mm F/1.4 lens!

I also use a couple of Canon EOS 30V. Why? OK - I'll admit it - whilst I've started using digital over the last 9-10 months, I still love film. Can't explain why, perhaps it's the anticipation - did I get any decent ones in that lot - Waiting for the processed film to drop through the letter box
PhilScot 8 319 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2010 9:07PM
I still use film occasionally, just because I like the discipline that is required when you have 12 shots on a roll or even a double dark slide with 2 shots. It feels good. I have a lot of film in the bottom of my freezer.

My cameras:

2 Olympus OM2n with a fair range of lenses.
Hasselblad 500cm 80mm lens
Bronica ETRSi
MPP MkVIII 5"x4", very nice to use on landscapes, really slows me down.

I have 2 enlargers and a complete set of darkroom equipment that I haven't used for over a year, but I will try to find time again soon.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
5 Jul 2010 9:17PM

Quote:A question for you Pete; the Tamron 90mm macro you had, was it the old model or the new digital model?

It was the older and first AF version.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
5 Jul 2010 10:10PM
I have masses of Nikon/Olympus SLR stuff and a sack of lenses.

And a very rarely use any of it, favouring small compact point and shoots like the MJU 11 that`s small enough to slip into a trouser pocket.

Olympus Trips, love em Smile check this out Find them ace for night shooting out on the street.

1-lrg-599-1263417409.jpg

3-lrg-599-1264719792.jpg

2-lrg-599-1263330771.jpg

Fixed lense Rangefinders like the SP or Minolta Spotmatics all a joy to use.

sp.jpg

Recently picked up an old folder, carbine type thing that takes glass plates and uses some sort of roll fill that I don`t think is available any more. The lens is knackered and have toyed on the idea of fitting a polaroid back and replacing the lens with a pin hole.

I have a bag full of film in need of processing, at some point I might go back to processing just the negs.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2010 10:49PM
I've been clearing out, so I've been using cameras to test prior to putting them on Ebay.
So the ones I've mainly been using for several months are ones that I won't be still using!

However, the MPP microtechnical is still with me, and the folding autographic brownie I fitted with a pinhole back in april, both in use this year.
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
8 Jul 2010 1:14PM
I have a fairly large collection of Canon FD bodies (10) and lenses (16). The main bodies I use are the new F1 with AE head and the AE-1.

I was out at the weekend using my EF body (1974). For lenses I had a 135 f/2 which is a fantastic lens, a mid 70s breechlock 50 f/1.8 and for most shots an early (1972) 35mm f/2 breechlock with concave front element and the radioactive thorium element. This now has a strong yellow cast caused by the thorium, which was added to some 1960s lenses as it gives lower dispersion.

I recently got a Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.8 for Contax which I use with my DSLRs and loved it, I'm actively looking for more CZ glass but bargains are hard to come across. I'll probably add a Yashica FR-II and winder at some point so I can shoot film. I'm also still, after about 18 months, on the lookout for a cheap, fully working RF like Paul's 35SP.
User_Removed 11 455 13 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2010 5:08PM
I'm between film cameras at the moment. Sad

I sold an EOS 3 to fund an upgrade on the digital front - will be seeking alternatives at some point soon.
Strobe 7 1.3k United States
9 Aug 2010 8:00PM

Quote:
Olympus Trips, love em Smile check this out Find them ace for night shooting out on the street.

Thanks for the link, this is better than looking for one on ebay
10 Aug 2010 12:56PM
Canon EOS 10 it takes the same lenses as my 400D and also I can use my old M2 lenses,I always drooled after one when they were new but it was way out of my price range,this minter cost me 25
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
10 Aug 2010 4:37PM
sniff Sad this thread just reminded me of the cameras I no longer have like the Nikon f301 but most of all I miss the Olympus XA2 that I 'lost' many many years ago Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.