Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Camera to buy....ADVICE PLEASE?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JRA
    JRA  12
    8 Jul 2002 - 4:47 PM

I have 400 to spend give or take a little and want a good allround camera. Something more than a happy snapper. ANy suggestions as I am bewildered. Looked at 601 Fuji but have read mixed reviews. Should I just get a good 2.1 and then wait for something better. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Jul 2002 - 4:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Al_T
    Al_T  1230 forum posts
    9 Jul 2002 - 3:06 PM

I'm curious to know what put you off the Fuji 601?

My suggestion would be something like the Canon S30, now available for just over 400. Or the Casio QV4000 4 megapixel for around 450.

I wouldn't get a 2.1 unless you're happy printing only to small sizes.

ENOFAN
    ENOFAN  12
    10 Jul 2002 - 1:47 PM

I just picked up an Olympus Camedia C3020 which seems great. I'm a little concerend about the fact it takes SmartMedia which some mags say is on its way out. I wanted a camera with Compact Flash, but the salesman said it didn't really matter and there was plenty of life left in SmartMedia.

tcwobble
    tcwobble  12
    10 Jul 2002 - 9:22 PM

A Nikon Coolpix 995 3.3 MP can be purchased for around 450. Suggest you go to www.digitaldepot.co.uk to see what they have on offer.

TC

Dee
    Dee  12
    12 Jul 2002 - 9:24 PM

I have just ordered the Olympus C3020 with 2 sets of battries a charger and an extra 64mb card for just under 400.
    I've been looking for a while and narrowed it down to this camera. It has some great features.
    It has 3.2 megapixels, can be used completely point and click mode but also you can over ride most things and set them manually. Records movies (without sound so you can use the zoom), has a 3x optical zoom and 2.5x digital making 7.5x zoom total.
    For a complete review :- http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c3020.html
    I used www.dealtime.co.uk to compare prices on this camera, and found my excellent deal.

The next version of this camera the Olympus C-4000z is due out mid August, and the cheapest price pre-release I could find was 399 (RRP 449 I think)

Maybe the the 3020 will go down in price when this is released, maybe not. I don't know enough about the market to say.
    I descided on the 3020 rather than the 4000z because I'm working on a budget of 400 to, and buying the 4000z leaves nothing for battries, charger or extra cards.

This will be my first digital camera and I am no expert on them by any means, but for what I wanted - a camera that I could just point and shoot but also have complete manual control over aswell (more or less) if I wanted - this is the camera for me.

Do a google search for the 3020, there is loads of info out there on this one!

Hope this helps.

Dee.

digitravel
    digitravel  12
    15 Jul 2002 - 12:57 AM

give a little more and try and find a g2 on ebay or somewhere like that..i got mine for 450 and its one of the best buys ive made....... i know its a little more than you want to pay but you will pay you back time and time again with the results..... it can be a basic point and shoot or you can have absolute control over everything....... you wont regret it

nunnke
    nunnke  12 United Kingdom
    15 Jul 2002 - 11:28 AM

I bought a Canon S30 in NYC in May, and have been extremely impressed with it. The reason I went for this model is the flexibility - it'll do most things that anyone stepping up from a point-and-press will need. This model is now around about 400 in the UK, so would heartily recommend it.

Bryan Reeves
    22 Jul 2002 - 8:35 PM

Ihave just brought a Casio QV 4000 from Dabs.com for 428. It is a 4 megapixel camera, has the same Canon f2.0/2.5 lens thats fitted to the G2 and a Sony CCD. It uses AA rechargeable batteries and is compact flash II compatible.
    It has a best shot mode which is great for beginners like me, although I have now started to try using the full manual mode.

jeff allen
    jeff allen  12
    27 Jul 2002 - 10:13 PM

I agree 100% with "digitravel". For that extra lay out, you get an exelent camera,with menu options for the novice through to the more advanced.you would be well adviced to visit the cannon forum at www.dpreview.com and view some of the sample postings. I have recently purchased a G2 after falling in love with one I borrowed for two weeks. the results keep getting better the more I use it. ebay, another bit of sound advice.
    Best of luck in your quest

Jake
    Jake  12
    28 Jul 2002 - 12:22 PM

Your query has received lots of good advice about which camera to buy around 400. One more tip. When you have decided which one to go for pay a visit to www.cameratag.co.uk to compare prices.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.