Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which canon 70-200

Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
4 Nov 2007 9:47PM
I know this has been done and Ive been through a dozen threads but all to no conclusion. Thinking about a Xmas lens but which one Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L non is or a f4 is, It would be used as a walk about lens ,tight landscapes, candids etc.

Brian...........................

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

richard00 e2
8 504 1
4 Nov 2007 9:59PM
don't need IS for landscapes, nor 2.8

F4 is lighter to carry. unless your need the extra stop go with the F4, even the non IS is a real option. Use the rest of the cash for something else
da_nige e2
10 1.2k Scotland
4 Nov 2007 10:08PM
Its a tough one. Both are superb. I bought the f4 non IS 2 months before the IS version came out. If I had some more cash now I would probably sell it and upgrade to the f4IS. Personally I love IS but at the same time have never shot with anything faster than f4.

To the best of my knowledge the advantages of each are as follows

f4IS: Smaller, lighter, IS

f2.8: Faster, possibly more accurate focusing being f2.8 so can use the cross sensor in some cameras

This will be argued but I have read elsewhere that some people believe that the f4IS is the sharpest of all the Canon 70-200s but to be honest all are superb.
Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
4 Nov 2007 11:11PM
So far then the swing is to the f4 is which if I'm honest is the way I'm thinking

Brian,,,,,,,,,,,
kezeka e2
7 79 United States
4 Nov 2007 11:14PM
If your portfolio is representative of the majority of work you do, i would say go with the f/4 IS just because land scape's and still life nature shots don't require f/2.8 to shoot, not to mention carrying the beast on a hike to get to any of the aforementioned would certainly add some grievances to your day.

The only reason i would suggest swinging towards 2.8 is if you really want that thinner depth of field for some interesting photos.

They are both excellent lenses and you really can't go wrong with either one. Personally i sprang for the 2.8 and absolutely love playing around with the depth of field, but i bought it more for photojournalism and sports.

Hope that helps,
~Josh
Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
4 Nov 2007 11:28PM
Thanks Josh I'm new to this silly hobby and just love taking pic so at the moment its the landscapes with the 17-40L but have enjoyed my attempts with the 90-300 but feel I Need to move on

Brian................................
bohemia e2
12 152 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2007 11:25AM
I've just bought the f4 L is and love it to bits. So sharp. I did think about the f2.8 but the weight difference swayed me. Plus I bought the 1.4 extender and the camera is still not too heavy.
Hubby wishes I held him the same way!!
p3asa e2
9 676 Scotland
5 Nov 2007 6:41PM
I had the F4. Upgraded it to the 2.8 is version about 4 months ago. Being able to gain several stops while hand holding it is invalubale.

I never noticed any difference in sharpness between the two.

The only downside to the 2.8 is the weight. It makes the F4 lens feel weightless Wink. If you really want a walkabout lens then the 2.8 isn't the most ideal.

In saying that the 2.8 is fantastic for sport etc as it is so quick. I certainly wouldn't swap it back for my F4.

Steven.
samfurlong e2
8 2.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2007 9:20PM
The 2.8 IS is worth its weight in gold, my most used lens by a mile, fantastic bit of gear.
Although it is fairly heavy it feels nice on a 1 series body and the usefulness (for me) far outweighs the weight. For your candids it will be perfect (the only drawback being that it is fairly conspicuous because of its size), especially in low light but if you're mainly a landscape man then the f4 version will do you fine.
stevenj e2
11 2.0k England
7 Nov 2007 11:29PM
I've got a 70-200 f2.8 L IS for sale if anyone's interested. Better to PM me rather than post tho..
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
7 Nov 2007 11:41PM
getting that 5D Steve?

Smile
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
8 Nov 2007 5:12PM
hi if i were you go and take some test shots with the lens you are thinking of buying come home and check on your computer. i have a canon 70/200 2.8 L & the IS version the non IS was a lot sharper so the IS had to go . i did read that canon 70/200 f4 L IS was one of the sharpest lens they had tested . i will get one myself when i get some spare cash, be ideal for holidays as waik about lens . cb.
Briwooly e2
9 452 5 England
8 Nov 2007 10:26PM
Thanks everone for you help and comments . Have ordered the 70-200 F4 IS let you know how I get on

Brian.............................

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.