Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Which Canon lens for surf pics???

lgc 10 62 England
6 Nov 2005 4:22PM
Have been looking into getting a new canon lens for my surf pics. Problem 1 is I dont want to be lugging around a ton weight and tripod etc. Problem 2 is that I am not minted and therefore cannot afford the top of the range stuff, I can stretch a little but not that far!!
Can you help me solve these problems bearing in mind that fast focusing is the main key??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26 10 2.5k United Kingdom
6 Nov 2005 10:12PM
Almost asking for the impossible....

The closest to your requests might be the canon 400L 5.6

Geoff
elikag 10 749
6 Nov 2005 11:24PM
There's the Sigma 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 EX APO OS for around $1000 (sorry don't know the price in UK).

Big plus: it's stabilized.

HTH,
Ilia Kagan
richardv 10 32
7 Nov 2005 4:02AM
The Sigma 80-400mm EX APO OS is currently priced at 699.00 on 7dayshop, but don't go rushing there to buy it.
The site states that "Stock Level = Plenty" but in fact they don't have any and expect it to take 3 - 4 weeks before they get any. Richard
Mark_Readman 9 922
7 Nov 2005 5:40AM
the sigma os does not work well below a 20d, due to the poor power output of the older dslr lens contacts, it needs some juice to get moving, it works fair on the 10d but, I tried it on a d60 and it could not provide the juice.
exclusive 10 579 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2005 11:58AM
i'd go 120-300 sigma, not as long but can easily be used with converters.

don't discount the second hand market, buy an amateur photography magazine and trawl the classifieds at the back and you'll find something.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.