Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which Canon lenses to photograph Machu Picchu and Rainforest

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    rachhs
    rachhs  1
    3 Jul 2013 - 1:54 PM

Hi, I am an amateur photographer with a Canon 550D. I am travelling to Peru in August visiting Machu Picchu and the Rainforest. Ia m trying to decide which lenses to take with me so that I can get the best photographs and would really welcome your advice.

Thanks
    Rachel

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jul 2013 - 1:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113098 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2013 - 2:10 PM

What lenses do you have Rachel?

Ken

lemmy
    lemmy  71814 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jul 2013 - 2:12 PM

A kit zoom should do the trick.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
    3 Jul 2013 - 2:19 PM

A rain coat might be very handy.

mikehit
    mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2013 - 2:29 PM

The rainforest can get susprisingly dark, even at midday, but the high ISO capability of the 550D should make things a tad easier (find some local woodland and see how it goes). I presume you want minimum weight so I would suggest mainly zoom lenses - the 15-85 is an excellent option with the 50mm f1.8 for low light and portaits. If you want a telephoto zoom, the 70-300 IS USM is a vastly under-rated lens or if you want something lighter the 55-250.

A lighter solution would be the Tamron 18-270 with the Canon 50mm f1.8: there is a very good '365 day roadtetst' on this site that shows the capability of this lens for wide andgle, telephoto and macro. This actually may not be a bad option if the weather is wet.

Ideally, I would also take a lightweight tripod (one of the Velbon Ulra-Rexi range?) so you could do some panoramic stitching or long exposures. If that is too much bulk/weight think about the Gorillapod.
    Also consider a polarising filter.

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 91067 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2013 - 3:12 PM

My avatar was taken at Machu Picchu. The 15-85mm Canon is a superb all round lens as has been said. I think from I had the 17-85 mm at the time. If you want a bigger zoom, can't say I ever needed one there, the Sigma 18-200mm OS is a good compromise. The Tamron above is also widely quoted as being not a bad lens. Neither are as good as the Canon 15-85mm however.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82309 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jul 2013 - 3:21 PM

Mine if you take me with you LOL TongueWink

RavenTepes
    3 Jul 2013 - 5:13 PM

Tamron 18-270mm PZD comes to mind for travel photography if a fast lens isn't important to you. I rarely shoot wide open, but usually stick to the f/8-16.

Last Modified By RavenTepes at 3 Jul 2013 - 5:17 PM
    rachhs
    rachhs  1
    4 Jul 2013 - 11:10 AM

Wow - thank you so much for the advice. I will let you know what I decide - I am sure that I will have lots more questions.
    x

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jul 2013 - 6:45 AM

Having done this trip a few years ago, I'd suggest that you need something wide for landscapes - there are a lot of opportunities there to say the least - and a short telephoto for things like portraits of the local people. So I agree a good one-lens solution for your trip and your camera would be the 15-85 suggested above. If you wanted to take two, with the 550 I'd probably take something like the 10-22 for wide stuff and maybe a 70-200 for when you need something longer.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.