Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which compact to buy

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ella
    ella  1143 forum posts
    6 Jun 2004 - 7:14 PM

haven't posted here for a while but hope someone will advise.

I use a 35mm SLR (Canon EOS) which I am happy with, covering my digital angle with a nikon coolscan negative scanner. I am still learning a lot and am not ready to make the leap to digital SLR until I have learnt a bit more AND more to the point saved some money.

In the mean time, I want to buy a compact digital to use for those moments when I don't have my SLR. The quality needs to be fairly reasonable as these will be memries we hope to keep forever.

I have fast moving kids so shutter lag is a big concern. I will eventually get a DSLR so don't want to spend too much but feel I may feel restricted by a point and shoot type. Budget is 250 to 350.

Are the flashed on compacts adequate or do I need one with a hotshoe?

I have looked at the Canon Powershot S50, Canon IXUS500, Sony DSC W1, Sony DSC V1, Casio Exilim Pro, Sony DSC P100. Now I am totally confused!! The casio seems to be the best but it is a bit beyond the budget.

All comments very gratefully received.

Ella

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Jun 2004 - 7:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

klute
    klute  10144 forum posts
    6 Jun 2004 - 11:48 PM

Hi Ella,
    I posted a similar thread some time ago regarding "Shutter Lag".
    Unfortunately this is still a problem with compact digital. I haven't been keeping a close eye lately but I still feel that this has not changed. With models closer to "Prosumer" class, this is less of a worry but you still have it.
    I bought a Sony DSC717 which is all but deleted these days, and this has minimal shutter lag. However, it is still there so you have to compensate. Something which I don't like to do. I have resigned myself to taking photo's of fast things with film.
    Anyway, look here, www.imaging-resource.com/
    There are a whole lot of reviews on models which mention shutter lag in every camera review.

Dave.

dewing
    dewing  10
    7 Jun 2004 - 3:26 PM

my opinion is get the sony p120 (black p100, inc case and extrra li-ion batt) its the fastest compact i've ever used, and i own a camera shop so ive used a lot! might be a bit small tho'. and as sony memory sticks are not really slr friendly, dont spent too much on cards hoping you can use them on any future camera.

josephine
    josephine  1151 forum posts
    9 Jun 2004 - 9:42 AM

Have you looked at the minolta range? I take portraits fairly rapidly, so I too was concerned about shutter lag. The 4mp slimline, minolta in Jessops down from 279 to 229 was really quick. As soon as you have slid back the covering, it's ready. Hope this helps, sorry I can't remember the model no.

rincewind
    rincewind  10279 forum posts
    9 Jun 2004 - 9:57 AM

I recommend the Minolta Z1 or Z2, it's very small, even though it's a "bridge" type camera.

It's amazingly fast, from off to ready to shoot in 1.5 secs, shutter lag is almost non-existant, quality results and a 10x optical zoom Smile

I think the Z1 (3.1megapixel) can be had for 200 and the Z2 (4 megapixel) about 259

Great value.

collywobles
    9 Jun 2004 - 4:52 PM

Ella, As you use the Canon EOS system I thoroughly recommend the Canon G5. I have one and its a really good camera. It has a few minor negative points but overall its hard to beat and as I say as you are already familiar with the Canon operating buttons it should be an easy transition. Also the bonus is it can now be bought for a lot less than 400.

john p
    john p  10100 forum posts
    9 Jun 2004 - 8:45 PM

Canon s50 is superb, sharp, xlnt exposures, a bit too much purple fringe sometimes. good prices on ukpricerunner. Also available in black!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.