Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which course (if any?)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Imagine23
    Imagine23  7241 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Jul 2006 - 8:04 PM

I've been looking for a photography course to do for a while but am non the wiser as to which one would be best or even if I should learn myself from books, as I have done so far. I would like some kind of recognised qualification. I've got a fairly good knowledge of how the camera works and what all the settings do etc so I don't think I need a super basic course but I have very little post-processing knowledge. What would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Jul 2006 - 8:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jeff50
    jeff50  8162 forum posts
    30 Jul 2006 - 8:21 PM

Hi Lynn
    unless you are going into photography full time these days, then I don't believe qualifications are really necessary. It is an ego boost I do agree.
    Having checked through your work, I think you are doing very well already (I wish I'd been that good after 6 months).
    I think like me you need someone to sit down with you(or with a good manual) and hand out hints on manipulation etc
    hope this helps
    Jeff

Imagine23
    30 Jul 2006 - 8:27 PM

Hi Jeff, that sounds like a sensible suggestion to me. Thanks Smile

SteveCharles
    30 Jul 2006 - 8:33 PM

Hi Lynn,

I did the City & Guilds course. Like you, I thought I had a good understanding of how to use a camera, but actually found going back to the beginning and learning in a structured way hugely beneficial to my overall understanding of photography, and learnt more in 9 months of the course than in a couple of years dipping in and out of books and magazines.

It's film based (or was when I did it), but I'm firmly of the opinion that it's a good thing to learn traditonal methods, including darkroom work, and then transfer the knowledge and terminology to digital.

It also gives your photography a fresh impetus, working on a different aspect each week and having assignments to complete.

Steve

Imagine23
    30 Jul 2006 - 8:47 PM

Hi Steve, I will look into the C&G course, I think that it would be good to have specific things to work towards.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Smile

aftertherain
    31 Jul 2006 - 6:49 AM

I did City and Guilds at a nightclass many years ago - I very much enjoyed the challenges the different modules set and I suppose more important was the camaraderie of my classmates.
    It was all film in those days so I suppose they'll have digital modules as well now.
    The thing I disliked was having to annalyse each photograph I'd taken.
    Q. 'Why did you take this photograph?'
    A. 'The poetry of this pile of rocks spoke volumes to me about the way the world interacts'
    Rather than 'it was in my way so I snapped it as I went past' Smile
    Merl

sarzM
    sarzM  755 forum posts
    31 Jul 2006 - 11:06 AM

Hi all.
    I, like Lynn, would love to do a course on photography. Just a short part-time one. Have looked at a few of the online courses as I have had no luck with the local schools ot uni's as the courses are constantly being cancelled due to lack of numbers. Any suggestions...I am in Melbourne.
    Cheers, S.

AndyM
    AndyM  999 forum posts
    31 Jul 2006 - 11:29 AM

I've just completed the C & G level 2 in photography so here are my thoughts.

Although there are digital photography modules to take, Blackburn College don't do them, which was a shame, however over colleges might. We could submit digital work for the Principles of Photography module though.

Has my photography improved? Definitely, it's also made me think a lot more about what I'm doing. Unlike Merl, I did get something out of analysing my work, and the process of selecting 10 prints for portfolio submission made me look more critcally at my work - did they fulfill the brief we were given? Was it any good?

Overall, yes I would recommend it, it's just proving difficult to find another course to follow on from it!

Cheers

Andy

Dennie
    Dennie  9260 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Jul 2006 - 1:46 PM

Hi I did C&G 922/3 digital photography course and found it very helpfull.

It was a 12 week course Run in the evening which they probally do in most areas. (once a week)

Plenty to do and two portfolios to complete amoungst course work and home work set weekly.

throughly enjoyed it this was back in Nov 2004

Denise x

Slaterm
    Slaterm  7496 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jul 2006 - 2:36 PM

I've been looking into courses and the problem is there are so many variations out there. The bit that bothers me is that unless you knwo that you like the style/work of the teacher how do you know you will get anything out of it.

I am more tempted to opt for a course run by someone whose work I've seen. Especially as I don't have inclination or talent to do it for a living - would rather just focus on getting better at what I like shooting.

pjc
    pjc  10397 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Jul 2006 - 5:53 PM

Hi

I have been on the C&G 6923 course and I'm currently doing the 6924 course. Both are very good and the 6924 really lifted my knowlage, but it does take a little time for all the learning to bed in and become usefull. The 6924 course is a real step change and very demanding but well worth it if you can put the time in.

Unfortunately a lot of colleges are switching to the NCFE courses, I attended one for a year, but I didn't find it as absorbing as the C&G option.

Pete.

Imagine23
    31 Jul 2006 - 6:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments, I've been looking at the C&G website today and there are a few places near me that do the courses, I'm going to check them out Smile
    Lynn

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.