Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which David Bowie album?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 1:15 PM

I'm just listening to some rarities from David Bowie's early 70s period ..and enjoying a different version of Sun Machine that was on Space Oddity album. It gave me goosebumps. I used to love that album, and here was a different more echoed version of one of the songs. It got me thinking that this guy has done so much since 1965 and covered just about ever genre through his ever changing influences from Anthony Newley to Stones, to Neu, to Eno to Burroughs to Soul to rock etc.

So a question to all Bowie fans - which album is your favourite?

As a teenager the first I heard was Ziggy Stardust I soon went back and bought the back catalogue. I became a huge Bowie fan, was in the fan club, went to see him in concert, had all the bootleg live albums, had scrap books full of photos cut out from all the magazines like Jackie (yes I bought girls mags if Bowie was in), Melody Maker, Smash hits etc. I stuck with him to 1979 when he released Lodger and I was hugely disappointed. I returned a few years ago and went back buying stuff like Heathen and Reality etc and am enjoying a revitalised Bowie period. But for me two albums stand out - Low and Space Oddity. And the period I will never like was when he was at his most successful with China Girl etc - Ashes to Ashes was the only thing I liked in that period.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jul 2010 - 1:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014742 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 1:40 PM

Greatest Hits Volume 1 Wink

It's the only one I've got Sad

I've been meaning to get his Berlin period albums - just never got round to it. How much Kraftwerk influence is there in those? Or is it more Eno-esque?

User_Removed
16 Jul 2010 - 1:41 PM

'Best of ....' for me, as long as it doesn't have Laughing Gnome on it. The nuggets of gold in among the fillers mean that for me individual albums are of limited worth.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 1:45 PM

Quote: Or is it more Eno-esque?

Very much Eno...no Kraftwerk...a bit of Neu

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 2:17 PM

If I remember right (and it was a long time ago) the first album I ever bought was Ziggy Stardust and it remains my favourite. Pocket money was duly saved and Aladdin Sane and Hunky Dory, along with several more of his 70's albums followed. Kind of lost interest in the 80's, but I loved the Let's Dance tracks.

Yes, I had the posters out of Jackie mag on my bedroom wall, I even had the haircut, but alas was not allowed to dye it orange Sad

Geoffphoto
16 Jul 2010 - 2:43 PM

Ah Sir David of Bowie - how long have you got ??

Fave album has to be Hunky Dory - Some fantastic songs (and Life On Mars as well), but I've always rather liked Scary Monsters, Heroes and most under-rated is his white soul album Young Americans, but I do tend to cherry pick Bowie songs from almost all the records, (tho' personally I'm not a great lover of the Diamond Dogs LP - but that's just me )

PS I also really love the Pin Ups album of 60's covers - fantastic cover pic with Twiggy as well ( by Bailey if I remember but I could be wrong !! )

Pete
16 Jul 2010 - 2:46 PM

Quote: PS I also really love the Pin Ups album of 60's covers - fantastic cover pic with Twiggy as well ( by Bailey if I remember but I could be wrong !! )

I have that album - See Emily Play - lovely
The photo is by Justin De Villeneuve

Geoffphoto
16 Jul 2010 - 2:52 PM

Thanks Pete - I knew that Bailey didn't ring a bell !!

Justin De Villeneuve - now that's a name from the past !! Smile

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 2:55 PM

Hmmmm. It's a toss-up between 'Low' and 'Ziggy Stardust' with 'Scary Monsters' in third place - but only because of 'Ashes to Ashes' and 'Fashion'. The rest of it is rather forgettable, imo.

geoffrey baker
geoffrey baker e2 Member 10496 forum postsgeoffrey baker vcard Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 2:57 PM

Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and of course The man who sold the World, that one always seemed a bit different to all the others to me anyway.
Got them all on vinyl but don't play them any more, all MP3's nowadays.

I wonder if I'd get much if I sold all my vinyl?, got over 100 albums from 70s, & 80s, Led Zep, Dire Straits, Rush etc, etc, all well looked after, has anyone had experience of selling vinyl?

Geoff.

Pete
16 Jul 2010 - 3:03 PM

Quote: of course The man who sold the World,

lol I have that title track on just as I read this! It's turned out I'm having a Bowie day.

Quote: I wonder if I'd get much if I sold all my vinyl?, got over 100 albums from 70s, & 80s, Led Zep, Dire Straits, Rush etc, etc, all well looked after, has anyone had experience of selling vinyl?

Some stuff sells a lot doesn't I sold one Popol Vuh last week for 10...it was worth 50 but I cocked up on the web site I made and php stripped the 4 in front of the 9.99 disappear. I didn't say anything but let it go and he sent me another 10 cos he realised what a bargain he'd got...which was nice. :-(
The best thing to do is go on ebay search for the album you have and look up the recently sold stuff (an option on the left hand menu). Then you can see what's selling and what isn't. The best selling is stuff that didn't sell in huge amounts...early stuff, limiteds, flops.

geoffrey baker
geoffrey baker e2 Member 10496 forum postsgeoffrey baker vcard Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 3:51 PM

Ta Pete, I'll have a look on Ebay then.
Posting off a fragile 12" vinyl is going to be fun though Smile

Geoff.

Pete
16 Jul 2010 - 3:58 PM

Quote: Posting off a fragile 12" vinyl is going to be fun though

Would that be Fragile by Yes? Wink
A sheet of strong cardboard on each side did the trick for me. I sent some to Poland a few years ago and they survived using that method. The other option is Vinyl Tap (not sure if there's still one in Leeds) who still buy vinyl and if it's still there a record shop in Norwich (can't remember the name) that gave good prices. And if they still buy there's Cobb Record in Portmadog Wales. And Record Collector and Rare and Racy in Sheffield. I'm sure there are others These are just ones I've visited. Maybe tie in a record clearance with your next longer distant meet? Wink

Cristian
Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jul 2010 - 6:20 PM

Interesting thread Pete. I'm a massive Bowie fan, like you, as a teenager I picked up one album and then went out and slowly built up the back catalogue and bought every album since. (including the 80's/90's & Tin Machine stuff).

I picked up the guitar because of Bowie, and bought a keyboard because of Low.

Depends what mood I'm in, but I'd probably say "Hunky Dory" and a recent one "Heathen" as my current favs. But I still reference Space Oddity/Scary Monsters & Heroes as some of his best.

Such a shame that he's taken a back seat these days, as his last two and a half albums were back to his best.

geoffrey baker
16 Jul 2010 - 6:39 PM

"Fragile by Yes", got that one too, how'd you know that then Pete, you must be psychic Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.