Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Which David Bowie album?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Strobe
Strobe  71254 forum posts United States
17 Jul 2010 - 6:55 AM

His album "Lets Dance" is one of my all time favourite albums, when it was released it was quite different from the norm. It has the track Cat People (Putting Out The Fire) which was the sound track from the movie with the same tile starring the stunning Nastassja Kinski.

I also like his album Heathen which did well in the USA a few years back, making the top 20, but did not seem to take off here

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jul 2010 - 6:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Cristian
Cristian  9950 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2010 - 8:16 AM

I think "Lets Dance" sold more than all his other albums put together, but was a big turning point. Yes Cat People was good, so was Loving the Alien and the Bang Bang cover from that period, but not a scratch on the 70's stuff. Just compare them to non singles like Quicksand, Supermen, Joe the Lion, Scream Like a Baby etc.

Quote: I also like his album Heathen which did well in the USA a few years back, making the top 20, but did not seem to take off here

Mentioned above, Heathen is a great album, "Slip Away" is one of my favourite tracks, echoes back to Life on Mars. I think Heathen/Reality and half of Hours (it had a few "Tin Machine" reject tracks on it) were great, all seemed to follow on from where Scary Monsters left off.

User_Removed
17 Jul 2010 - 10:38 AM

I never really took to Bowie.

But I did come across a clip on YouTube a couple of nights ago of him performing "Comfortably Numb" with David Gilmour.

Even in his post-Pink Floyd incarnation, Gilmour's guitar riffs on that song are probably the best ever plucked.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jul 2010 - 6:52 PM

I don`t believe he ever produced a bad album and like said I don`t have a top fav, but Diamond Dogs, Low, and White Tie White noise gets played a fair bit in my house.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2013 - 10:55 PM

Just bumping this thread as he was 66 yesterday and made the news - new single after a decade etc.

These are some of my favourite tracks of all time - what are yours?

Sweet Thing - Diamond Dogs
Lady Grinning soul - Aladdin Sane
Word on a Wing - Station to Station
Silly Boy Blue - David Bowie
After All - Man Who Sold the World
Bewlay Brothers - Hunky Dory
Warszawa - Low
Sons of the Silent Age - Heroes
Cygnet Committee - Space Oddity
Memory of a Free Festival - Space Oddity

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 1:21 AM

Quote: These are some of my favourite tracks of all time - what are yours?

At least 3 or 4 off each album, it would be a very long list Smile

This is quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlmuuQBM4Gs

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014819 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 7:11 AM

The only one I remember is White Wedding; our eldest son played it continuously, and had his hair exactly like Bowie's.Tongue

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014819 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 7:21 AM

A bit of a trivia question for you Pete; Stevie Ray Vaughan was at a festival in Europe, and Bowie invited him to play with him on stage; which song, and where was it?Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 9:31 AM

Quote: The only one I remember is White Wedding;

That was Billy Idol Smile

Quote: A bit of a trivia question for you Pete; Stevie Ray Vaughan was at a festival in Europe, and Bowie invited him to play with him on stage; which song, and where was it?

I don't know I wasn't a fan of that period of Bowie...notice none of my song choice includes tracks from that period. In my opinion his most dire period, but equally it became his most popular. I just looked it up I don't think he played with Bowie on any stage? He was spotted on stage and asked to do a project together, but went it came to the tour they appear to have fallen out over money.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64445 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 10:54 AM

Fave Album - Low
Fave Track - Suffragette City
Not too impressed with the latest offering, but hey, still at it at 67 can't be bad.
Saw the Thin White Duke concert and me and my mate sang Bowie songs and went into raptures all the way home on the top deck of the bus.
Smile

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72277 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 2:20 PM

Tough question, but if I really had to choose just one, it would be.....
anything from the early 70's Wink

StrayCat
10 Jan 2013 - 7:22 PM

Quote: That was Billy Idol

Lol!! After I posted that I shut down the PC and went downstairs. Then I thought, that was Billy Idol, dammit. Should have come back up and corrected it, but as long as it gave you a smile.Smile

I wonder was it Billy Idol that SRV performed with. I think it was at a music festival in Switzerland. I read about it years ago in SRVs biography.

Denny

Osool
Osool e2 Member 11Osool vcard Scotland
10 Jan 2013 - 7:30 PM

Rise and Fall of Ziggy by a country mile, followed by Aladdin Sane, Pinups, Hunky Dory and Diamond Dogs. I took the hump when he "killed off" Ziggy, and didnt buy anything else by him until he did Scary Monsters, which wasnt bad.

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5185 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom23 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jan 2013 - 12:21 PM

Bought just about every Bowie Album until Scary Monsters then lost interest in his work.
Favourite Album - Ziggy Stardust
Favourite track - Warsawa

Pete
11 Jan 2013 - 12:33 PM

Quote: Bought just about every Bowie Album until Scary Monsters then lost interest in his work.

I did more or less the same...drifted away around Lodger

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.